Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

The point of smart meters in the long term is they can help balance the grid by enabling usage of appliances at cheaper times - eg you charge your electric car when there is excess capacity and get very cheap power - or even get paid to use it. You'll have smart appliances like washing machines that detect when is best to turn on.

In the shorter term plans are being developed now to mean you benefit from not using much power at peak times: Got A Smart Meter? You Might Soon Get Paid To Use Less Energy. Here's How

Seems daft not to take advantage of this.
Perhaps when these things actually happen. Irrelevant to me though since there's no mobile connection where I live.

The point of smart meters in the long term is they can help balance the grid by enabling usage of appliances at cheaper times - eg you charge your electric car when there is excess capacity and get very cheap power - or even get paid to use it. You'll have smart appliances like washing machines that detect when is best to turn on.

In the shorter term plans are being developed now to mean you benefit from not using much power at peak times: Got A Smart Meter? You Might Soon Get Paid To Use Less Energy. Here's How

Lot of "might" and "they can" in the benefits there.

Until I demonstrably benefit from something foisted on me I'll pass. Even when these plans come to fruition it'll be fairly useless unless I eat dinner at like 4pm or 10pm.

lull you off to sleep you mean?

There is economy 7 still I believe but I never realized the tariff is higher than non-economy-7 during the day.

Kind of glad the conspiraloon left hasn't picked up on the proximity between working from home becoming a thing and energy prices going stratospheric tbh.

It’s not really the point, but I think the calculations performed in that article are potentially misleading, in that they only apply to single people. If you cohabit then either one of you is at home anyway, in which case the marginal cost of the second being at home is much smaller, or you both go to work, in which case the commuting costs are doubled.

This is the best these worthless cunts have to offer? Fucking hell

That's just about ensuring people in NI get the £400 currently in the pipeline off their bills, inline with the rest of the UK, surely that's a good thing?

As we know, soon after the new PM is appointed there will be an announcement on what extra help will be available, sadly I suspect that will be the time to describing them as worthless cunts.

I've done the calculation for this for myself, It's about a tankful of petrol a week to go to work. so it will still be cheaper to WFH. I can't use public transport as it takes hours, and I won't want to cycle for 3 hours a day, so my only options are WFH or drive.
Yeah, it costs me £30 a day to commute, not £13. And that’ll no doubt rise in the new year. By contrast, my full electricity and heating bills will now average out at about £20 per day, and that’s with two of us in the house. If just I go to work, it’s not even close in terms of cost vs saving. I guess that if I lived by myself near to my workplace, it would need cheaper, particularly in the winter months.

That's just about ensuring people in NI get the £400 currently in the pipeline off their bills, inline with the rest of the UK, surely that's a good thing?

As we know, soon after the new PM is appointed there will be an announcement on what extra help will be available, sadly I suspect that will be the time to describing them as worthless cunts.
What I mean is that, in response to the huge anxiety millions of people are feeling - to a crisis we’ve known about for many months - their front runner for leader is just regurgitating Thatcherite horseshit, leaving them with nothing but these breadcrumb announcements.

Don't know if this has been posted, so apologies if it has, but a twitter thread on the relative costs of electric appliances.

If you can't be arsed to read it: use a slow cooker, get an electric blanket, and don't let your kids spend 20 minutes in the shower. (There will be some adjustments at Chez Kebab...)

Oh that's what electric cars are about then! So we can have more nuclear power stations and charge our cars at night. A bit like storage heaters used to do before the fad for gas central heating..

The last time I did the calculations WFH was saving me £3k a year.
I will have to redo them, the difference may not be that good any more but I'm sure it still favours WFH
Besides that article completely misses the point that there other advantages of WFH that aren't simply cost related.

Huge conflict of interest anyone?

Even without this it's much easier for the CEO's of big companies to make their voices heard. I'm pretty sure that if the CEO of British Gas wanted to speak directly to the PM all he has to do is get his secretary to phone No 10 and make an appointment.
If I tried that I would probably get a visit from Special Branch. Even with the best will in the world (which there certainly isn't anyway) one side of the argument is being heard a lot more than the other.

from teh tweeter

FbHKBLyUEAAP_yA

Back
Top Bottom