Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Every piece of commentary from Zahawi and other Tory talking heads is that stuff must be put in place "so the next Prime Minister can hit the ground running".

We don't have a government and haven't since June.

Nationalise the shit out of every energy company, with ZERO compensation above and beyond execs being allowed to keep heads attached to shoulders. One word of complaint and that compensation no longer applies.

ofgen is a government regulator is it not

Like any British regulator it has no power at all and anything to solve the problem would take an act of government

We do love a toothless regulator that can only sit on the sidelines and say careful now.

Reactions: Ax^
Every piece of commentary from Zahawi and other Tory talking heads is that stuff must be put in place "so the next Prime Minister can hit the ground running".

Nationalise the shit out of every energy company, with ZERO compensation above and beyond execs being allowed to keep heads attached to shoulders. One word of complaint and that compensation no longer applies.

Where the hell is the fucking prime minister anyway? i know he's a bit of a lame duck but at least front up to the media.

for "hit the ground running" read "take the credit personally"

because the most important thing is that come the next election they can attach whatever help they came up with now to a "vote Truss" (or less likely Sunak) rather than just a "vote Conservative" message.

Fed up with this ..

Fridge, computer, cooker, lights, microwave, washing machine ..

In that order .. necessities .. Fridge all the time, the rest occasionally, washing machine about once a week.

How dare they double or treble my electric spending?

Fed up with this ..

Methane is a greenhouse gas but not as bad as CO2 plus it breaks down very rapidly in the atmosphere about 12 years compared to 100,000's for CO2.

?
Since CO2 is being used as the reference, it has a GWP of one. Methane has a GWP of between 28 and 36 over 100 years, according to the EPA, meaning it is significantly more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2.

It gets worse. The GWP of methane gets even higher over shorter periods of time due to the gas' shorter life span. Over a period of 20 years, methane has a GWP of between 84 and 87.

According to the Environmental Defense Fund, while CO2 lasts for longer than methane, methane "sets the pace for warming" in the short term.

And it's the next 100 years that are the most important.

Methane is a greenhouse gas but not as bad as CO2 plus it breaks down very rapidly in the atmosphere about 12 years compared to 100,000's for CO2.
you don't know what you're wittering on about. on a weight-for-weight basis its heating power is 21 times stronger than co2. and if you'd bothered paying attention, you'd know that we need to radically reduce co2 emissions by the end of the decade if we're to avoid really fucked up global warming. so emissions of methane NOW will have a disproportionate effect on things at what the scientific consensus is telling us is a vitally important period. in addition, there are vast areas of the earth's surface where methane formerly stored in the ground is being released eg siberia. Permafrost Thaw in Siberia Creates a Ticking 'Methane Bomb' of Greenhouse Gases, Scientists Warn now, you might not be concerned about methane as a greenhouse gas but the people who do the science very much are. there have been repeated expeditions to the arctic ocean in the last few years to try to find out about emissions from the methane hydrates under that water. there are some emissions which can be controlled, eg the flaring you refer to in your post. there are some emissions that might be reduced, eg from cattle bred for beef and dairy - if their numbers were er controlled. but there is fuck all that anyone can do to stop methane being emitted from the melting arctic permafrost and warmer years to come are i suggest unlikely to curtail the release of that gas - quite the contrary, i believe.

They split the price rise between the standing charge and the unit cost. That way you still get fucked over even if you switch everything off for the next six months.

I'm just quoting this post of yours fom February so that I can point out an interesting difference in the structure of the rises this time compared to that previous rise.

This time I notice that the next increase to the standing charge cap is minimal, and the very significant rise has almost all been put on the unit cost.

In various other stories about energy in this country in recent months, the government, national grid executives etc are usually keen to claim that we have a wonderful secure and diverse supply, and that any schemes such as the plan to pay people to use less electricity during key peak hours are not about energy rationing and demand destruction, honest.

But in reality I think we are in for a bumpy ride when it comes to the supply-demand balance this winter, and so I note with interest that they have structured the latest cap rise in a way that is compatible with encouraging/forcing people to use less energy in the next period.

Can someone, in simple words please explain this to me - I've screen shotted what I think is the relevant "bit" from the Ofgem site re: price cap and I've also take a screen shot of my Bulb tariffs

The bulb tariffs appear to be over the price cap prices - the Ofgem prices are inclusive of VAT

Ofgem KWh 28p and Daily standing charge 45p

Whereas Bulb KWh 28.41p and daily standing charge 51.63p

What am I missing???

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 11.34.36.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 11.34.36.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 11.35.13.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 11.35.13.png
    65 KB · Views: 10
I'm just quoting this post of yours fom February so that I can point out an interesting difference in the structure of the rises this time compared to that previous rise.

This time I notice that the next increase to the standing charge cap is minimal, and the very significant rise has almost all been put on the unit cost.

In various other stories about energy in this country in recent months, the government, national grid executives etc are usually keen to claim that we have a wonderful secure and diverse supply, and that any schemes such as the plan to pay people to use less electricity during key peak hours are not about energy rationing and demand destruction, honest.

But in reality I think we are in for a bumpy ride when it comes to the supply-demand balance this winter, and so I note with interest that they have structured the latest cap rise in a way that is compatible with encouraging/forcing people to use less energy in the next period.

Any schemes to pay people to reduce demand also disproportionally reward the better off who a) used more in the first place and b) have more modern appliances which enable demand shifting. “Don’t heat your pool or charge your car between 1600 and 2000 each day”

The amounts I’ve heard are huge - 6 gbp per kwhr not consumed - who pays that ? ( people who can’t demand shift )

Last edited:
I got one of those at 9.06 am, couldn't be arsed to read it TBH.
Just been looking over mine from SSE.

While it is of course full of crap. Having a big section headed like this is pretty remarkable really.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-115229_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220826-115229_Outlook.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 17
“The reality is we should all look at our energy consumption”

Government in action, it’s the publics fault.

Tbf to him, he's just stating the bleeding obvious (to a degree). Although I'm sure he's still taking nice long showers and wont be catching pneumonia this winter (as i did two winters ago as we couldnt afford to heat the house).

Devils advocate here. Not sure what Ofgen can actually do, I kind get their point. It really is the government's role now to actually do something. Unfortunately we don't actually have a government at the moment.

I pray it will be a mild winter but given the bonkers summer we've had, the insane heatwave China's going through, the unprecedented floods in new zealand etc etc etc, I suspect we'll be treated to a freezing winter.

Can someone, in simple words please explain this to me - I've screen shotted what I think is the relevant "bit" from the Ofgem site re: price cap and I've also take a screen shot of my Bulb tariffs

The bulb tariffs appear to be over the price cap prices - the Ofgem prices are inclusive of VAT

What am I missing???
the cap does vary slightly in different regions. the table in your Ofgem screenshot is of the average across the country.

can also vary by payment type (i.e. the direct debit discount) and meter type (economy meter with cheaper night time rate) but neither looks to be the difference in your case.

What am I missing???

For electric I am paying 28.08p KWh / standing charge 39.67p a day, plus VAT on both.

Perhaps you should to change to OVO. :D

Although I wouldn't recommend it unless you get a smart meter, so you can keep an eye on them.

Tbf to him, he's just stating the bleeding obvious (to a degree). Although I'm sure he's still taking nice long showers and wont be catching pneumonia this winter (as i did two winters ago as we couldnt afford to heat the house).

Devils advocate here. Not sure what Ofgen can actually do, I kind get their point. It really is the government's role now to actually do something. Unfortunately we don't actually have a government at the moment.

I pray it will be a mild winter but given the bonkers summer we've had, the insane heatwave China's going through, the unprecedented floods in new zealand etc etc etc, I suspect we'll be treated to a freezing winter.

Ofgem can’t do shit but tut at people.

What we need is for them (yes them) to fund fusion!

Never has fusion been more greatly needed.

The opportunity to thumb your nose at fossil fuels!

Fund fusion!!

Ofgem can’t do shit but tut at people.
I saw the CEO bring interviewed this morning and he came across as a genuine dude who was immensely frustrated. He did a fairly good job of explaining it all. Basically reading between the lines theres sweet fuck all they can do and they have no interest in screwing people over. All of Europe is screwed right now. The energy prices are what they are. Germany is paying the same as us etc. It's down to the govt to offer emergency assistance until the war in Europe is sorted from now but obv he has no control over that. I gather it's quite unprecedented for someone in his position to openly call for that. Not a job I would like I have to say, announcing this shit this morning.

Oooo! I found this - don't know if it's of use to "people" and it would seem that I'm still paying over the odds .01p / KWh and .01p per day standing charge

Is it worth getting all upset about 0.01p per "thingy" - I shall sleep on it, but, as I'm retired now with fuck all else to do . . .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 13.03.24.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 13.03.24.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 11

What am I missing???

Either use the calculator, or manually scroll down and click 'Prices vary per region - see regional direct debit rates and charges' to look at the regional tables on this site, to see if you can make more sense of the amount you are going to pay:

For example, the South Western region has a pretty high electricity standing charge cap coming in of 52.64p.

Granted many of the above tables are going to show you the cap rates from October onwards, rather than the current rates which presumably you are talking about since your quoted Bulb 28.41p unit rate which correlates with the current cap not the huge looming increase. But the standing charge is only going up approximately 1p so the regional tables for the October increase will probably be enough to explain why you are paying so much currently.

Oooo! I found this - don't know if it's of use to "people" and it would seem that I'm still paying over the odds .01p / KWh and .01p per day standing charge

Is it worth getting all upset about 0.01p per "thingy" - I shall sleep on it, but, as I'm retired now with fuck all else to do . . .

Oops sorry my previous reply was a bit late and you'd already got your answer.

The table you found is quite handy, would you mind linking to the page you found that one on?

Bollocks, clipped the bit off the bottom of the page mentioning there maybe some difference due to "rounding" funny how it's always rounded UP in the energy company's favour though, innit

One of the advantages of a smart meter is I can watch my money being almost literally burnt in real time.
This is my electric usage YTD:
1661517397443.png
This is my gas usage YTD:

1661517437291.png

Multiply the average by 12 and feed it into Martin Lewis's calculator and we get this.
1661517835641.png
My actual monthly payment is £210 not £193 but that first figure was calculated last October literally at the same time as my Son and his girlfriend moved out into their own place and Youngest Q left for Uni, which gives me the sinking feeling that at a mere £17 per month I'm not saving myself anything like the money I was smugly kidding myself I was saving by them going.

For those of you thinking about going 'Pay As You Go' and just paying the bills as they fall due as it were note that my gas used in Jan was over 20 times more than in Aug and my electric more than twice. Not everyone is going to be in the same situation but it is a sobering thought.

Back
Top Bottom