Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Mine (Bulb) are:

Day unit rate 31.25p per kWh
Night unit rate 20.37p per kWh
so they've cut the discount from about 2/3 to 1/3 looks like - over the years.
But there is still a discount- so there must be an advantage to the generators in keeping the base load up.
I guess if that ever stopped we'd be finding our street lights going out at midnight!

I got an e-mail from the ombudsman this morning, inviting me to comment on OVO's reply by Sat 11th May, I've made two points.

1- Of course the bills need to be re-issued, but OVO doesn't give any time frame for doing that, despite the fact that it should have been done weeks ago, and hasn't even been done that at this stage, which is causing me further stress. I assume it would be reasonable that this should now be done in a maximum of 2 additional working days.

2 - As you are aware I suggested compensation at £150 in view of the amount of time I've spent on this and the stress it has caused me, so I don't think their offer of just £100 is reasonable. As you are also aware they have continued causing me further problems and stress since I filed my complaint, including breaking pervious promises about not putting up my DD and still not re-issuing bills, so I would ask you to consider a reasonable amount now should be £200.

Well, if you don't ask, you don't get. :D
When I think of all the utility companies which have caused me stress, hassle and consumed endless time with their incompetence over the years, I‘ve clearly missed a trick in not following your approach. I read some of your posts earlier in the thread and thought to myself you’d not get anywhere with it, but I’m happy to admit I was wrong! Well done :thumbs:

When I think of all the utility companies which have caused me stress, hassle and consumed endless time with their incompetence over the years, I‘ve clearly missed a trick in not following your approach. I read some of your posts earlier in the thread and thought to myself you’d not get anywhere with it, but I’m happy to admit I was wrong! Well done :thumbs:

Well, I've not had much choice but to deal with it, as it's getting worst month by month.

Currently they think I've used 3800Kwh more than I actually have, which is about 2 years usage I've been over billed for, at a guess somewhere between £600 & £750!

In 2020 they over estimated my usage by around 500Kwh, which should have been corrected with the meter reading in Jan 2021, but it wasn't and they went on to over estimate my usage in 2021 by around 2500Kwh, plus around another 800Kwh so far this year!

Frankly I would be happy enough to get that sorted plus the £100 extra they've offered, but even more happy if I screw another £50-£100 out of them.

I've added that graph to my complaint on the ombudsman's site, having only slightly toned down my words -

There's something seriously wrong with OVO's systems, or someone has been sniffing glue, how the hell can I've used over 500kwh of electric in June, just 8 days into the month?

I am still trying to work out what is happening to my electric. It doesn't seem to be getting more expensive though last week I had to top it up a week early though someone had been making much use of an electric strimmer which might have made up the difference.

The last 3 receipts have changed a bit, but not in any way that I can calculate how much electricity my £50 is buying. We normally spend £10 a week.

Whilst people a looking around for cheaper suppliers the rather well off may be scamming it:

Does this subsidy apply to councils?
For example the £30 million revamp of Lambeth Town Hall - did it have new claimable boilers fitted?
Just asking!

I got an e-mail from the ombudsman this morning, inviting me to comment on OVO's reply by Sat 11th May, I've made two points.

1- Of course the bills need to be re-issued, but OVO doesn't give any time frame for doing that, despite the fact that it should have been done weeks ago, and hasn't even been done that at this stage, which is causing me further stress. I assume it would be reasonable that this should now be done in a maximum of 2 additional working days.

2 - As you are aware I suggested compensation at £150 in view of the amount of time I've spent on this and the stress it has caused me, so I don't think their offer of just £100 is reasonable. As you are also aware they have continued causing me further problems and stress since I filed my complaint, including breaking pervious promises about not putting up my DD and still not re-issuing bills, so I would ask you to consider a reasonable amount now should be £200.

Well, if you don't ask, you don't get. :D

OVO had up to yesterday to respond to my most recent comments, they didn't, so at midnight the ombudsman's system automatically updated the status of my complaint from 'Prepare Case' to the 'Investigate' stage, which shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks before their decision is made. That will be around 5 months since I first contacted OVO, but at least I am getting there.

Meanwhile OVO's glue sniffing department has increased their estimate of usage during June from just over 500kwh on the 8th, to almost 600kwh today, if this carries on, I should be on well over 1000kwh by the end of the month! :D

My actual usage during June so far is under 60kwh, so their estimate is basically 10 times what I am actually using.

Y - usage 12-6-22.png

OVO had up to yesterday to respond to my most recent comments, they didn't, so at midnight the ombudsman's system automatically updated the status of my complaint from 'Prepare Case' to the 'Investigate' stage, which shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks before their decision is made. That will be around 5 months since I first contacted OVO, but at least I am getting there.

Meanwhile OVO's glue sniffing department has increased their estimate of usage during June from just over 500kwh on the 8th, to almost 600kwh today, if this carries on, I should be on well over 1000kwh by the end of the month! :D

My actual usage during June so far is under 60kwh, so their estimate is basically 10 times what I am actually using.

View attachment 326847
They really are just trying to claw in as much money as possible, aren’t they?

Argh, Shell have caught up with me, they want to raise my monthly DD by £400. I've immediately changed my payment using the app to the minimum allowed (still+£250 on what I'm paying now).

Then as soon as my account gets back into debit I will switch to using a variable direct debit payment which will mean I only pay what I use each month.

Also I love how patronising the app is. When you reduce the monthly payment below recommended it shows an unhappy face and says "you will end up in too much debt".

Personally I think they're mad if they think we're going to use over £5k of energy a year in our two bedroom flat. Monthly usage is around £70 at the moment so what would it have to increase to in winter? £1k a month?

OVO's glue sniffers now have me on 596kwh so far this month, they are going to have to add an extra line to their graph tomorrow to cope with my estimated usage. :D

View attachment 327373
Hah! you laughed at me and my checking through my 'leccy usage - who's laughing now though??

Seriously mate, using that amount IN SUMMER is criminal, I don't know what your doing, you need to get a handle on that before winter comes or you're going to be in proper trouble

We have a meter here that is effectively pre-pay, you can top up via an app on your phone. Main box is on a pole opposite the gate at screen lights up when there's less than 100kwh left, so I check it when I do the bins at night.

Last put in equivalent of fifty quid and it's lasted a good two months. We have several fridges as wife stores tea she sells in big chest ones, charge up two electric vehicles and use loads in cooking, toaster oven and rice cookers. Have switched the heat exchanger system to cooling from its winter underfloor heating mode but not actually used it much yet. All made possible because domestic charge is CNY0.6 or so per kwh, which is about seven pence.

We have a meter here that is effectively pre-pay, you can top up via an app on your phone. Main box is on a pole opposite the gate at screen lights up when there's less than 100kwh left, so I check it when I do the bins at night.

Last put in equivalent of fifty quid and it's lasted a good two months. We have several fridges as wife stores tea she sells in big chest ones, charge up two electric vehicles and use loads in cooking, toaster oven and rice cookers. Have switched the heat exchanger system to cooling from its winter underfloor heating mode but not actually used it much yet. All made possible because domestic charge is CNY0.6 or so per kwh, which is about seven pence.
Cost of living crisis not such a big worry where you are?

Cost of living crisis not such a big worry where you are?
Always been tough at the bottom and the migrant workers caught up in the lockdowns in Shanghai will be really struggling, but in a village like ours local families have houses they were allocated by the collective and most still plant a fair amount of veg so even if there's not much cash income coming in the pressures are relatively low so long as no-one gets sick. There is also a medical insurance scheme but it's not great for anything major. Those families that have a white collar worker or two are all knocking down their old single storey courtyard compounds like ours and building three floor villas, so clearly not too hard up.

The government here, and in Portugal have a so-called iberian exemption which means prices are capped. Although the cost is still high it has come down by quite a chunk lately.

The government here, and in Portugal have a so-called iberian exemption which means prices are capped. Although the cost is still high it has come down by quite a chunk lately.
Yep! ours are "capped" in the UK as well - fuck-knows-how-many-% increase in April and a similar massive increase in . . . October(?) - also "capped"

this month will be brutal; i'll go ahead and predict my electricity (normal size single family home) bill will be at least $200 for this month...

Back
Top Bottom