Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Plus the thermal mass of the kettle which will be quite small you'd think (as opposed to my metal whistling kettle). Your figures did look right when I checked them (for what that's worth :) ).
I once annoyed a physics tutor by pointing out that kettles made a noise and were also 50Hz radio transmitters - albeit ridiculously ineffective ones :D

Yes I ought to weigh the kettle ..

Just tried and it took 2 minutes exactly, also from 17C for 1/2 pint mug

0.25 x 4200 x 83 = 87.14KJ / 120 =726 W, with measured power being 800W so the extra going to heat the kettle.

physics never really was my thing, but doesn't it take the same amount of energy to boil X amount of water from a starting temperature of Y degrees, irrespective of whether it's a low power kettle that does it slowly or a high power kettle that does it quick?

:confused:

yes :)

it's just that my 2 kW max solar panels will provide the 800 W of an induction hob while it won't the 3 kW of an electric kettle.

Hence the old saying Mek tay while the sun shines.

As a detour, I was just watching a video about Americans not using kettles because 110volt mains means kettles are underpowered, and for science I actually boiled 250ml of water in my Russel Hobbs "220-240v 2520-3000 watts" kettle and it took 50 seconds - meaning my kettle is only delivering 1680 watts ...

There are bound to be losses - your kettle isn't particularly well insulated, so it's going to be radiating some of that heat while it's boiling, and any steam that emerges during the process of boiling will represent a net loss of energy to the water in the kettle. So 1680 sounds quite reasonable...

ETA: ah, you'd already got there. Ho hum :)

physics never really was my thing, but doesn't it take the same amount of energy to boil X amount of water from a starting temperature of Y degrees, irrespective of whether it's a low power kettle that does it slowly or a high power kettle that does it quick?

:confused:
Theoretically, but you have to account for heat losses. Thermodynamics, innit?

There are bound to be losses - your kettle isn't particularly well insulated, so it's going to be radiating some of that heat while it's boiling, and any steam that emerges during the process of boiling will represent a net loss of energy to the water in the kettle. So 1680 sounds quite reasonable...

ETA: ah, you'd already got there. Ho hum :)
I had this notion that the metal was insignificant - but I'm not ready to go for plastic yet ...

In the past I used to bring a pressure cooker of grain or beans up to pressure and then insulate it with a duvet - and when I make custard on my solid hotplate in a heavy-bottomed pan, I'll switch off and finish the cooking with the stored heat..

It illustrates another benefit of microwave cooking...

I had this notion that the metal was insignificant - but I'm not ready to go for plastic yet ...

In the past I used to bring a pressure cooker of grain or beans up to pressure and then insulate it with a duvet - and when I make custard on my solid hotplate in a heavy-bottomed pan, I'll switch off and finish the cooking with the stored heat..

It illustrates another benefit of microwave cooking...
You could do an experiment with a measured quantity of water, a microwave, and a thermometer. I suggest not actually going for a full boil, though, as that is likely to be dangerous, and you're not dessiato. ;)

My guess is that microwaves are probably less efficient at turning electricity into radiation and thence heat than even the humble kettle.

You could do an experiment with a measured quantity of water, a microwave, and a thermometer. I suggest not actually going for a full boil, though, as that is likely to be dangerous, and you're not dessiato. ;)

My guess is that microwaves are probably less efficient at turning electricity into radiation and thence heat than even the humble kettle.
Magnetrons are apparently 70 percent efficient - but the key thing is we tend to use plastic and glass vessels ...

Our kettle, Dualit naturally, uses .13KW to boil the water necessary for my tea (a GOOD two cups) and Mrs Voltzs coffee (a LARGE mug) - this reads as just over 4 cups on the scale on the side of the kettle
You sure? 800 W * 2 minutes for induction =0.03 kWh for 1/2 pint cup including fairly massy steel kettle.

Glad to see we're getting down the essentials of Energy Saving for Britain :thumbs:

You sure? 800 W * 2 minutes for induction =0.03 kWh for 1/2 pint cup including fairly massy steel kettle.

Glad to see we're getting down the essentials of Energy Saving for Britain :thumbs:
that's the reading that the plug in meter gave. and I've repeated the test a few times

strange, my plug in meter confirms 0.034 kWh

But fuck that, my mini fridge has arrived. :D It's bigger than the old camping fridge but still fits the space and I switch on in an hour. I've lost remarkably little that's perishable over the last three weeks even in the warm weather by transferring stuff from freezer to a cool box.

Of course Ground Elder is hardcore, last I asked he didn't use a fridge, kept foodstuffs in yer traditional pantry :thumbs:

Magnetrons are apparently 70 percent efficient - but the key thing is we tend to use plastic and glass vessels ...
IME, it's all about the power supplies - microwaves have big old transformers in them, which are never 100% efficient, and rectification isn't 100% efficient, either, so I do wonder what the overall plug-to-cavity efficiency works out as, even before we start thinking about vessels, etc...

Oh that one really boils my piss (SWIDT? :)) - my ex used to stick a good litre and a half into the kettle for one or two cups of tea, and NOTHING I could say would persuade her not to.
:D

I'm not too bad now but it's just too easy to hold the kettle under the tap, which is where the kettle cosy is useful. I must start measuring a cupful though.

Back
Top Bottom