Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I can assure you, and my meter & I are unanimous in this, that I've only used around 60kwh so far this months, around 4kwh per day.

I don't understand why OVO are trying to rip you off like this, especially since you've been fighting it from day one. Surely they must know that if you've been disputing this so stridently, including taking things up with the ombudsman, that you would have objective evidence of how much electricity you're actually using? And that they would thus lose? At this point they have to be losing money pursuing this fool's errand? This makes no damn sense.

I don't understand why OVO are trying to rip you off like this, especially since you've been fighting it from day one. Surely they must know that if you've been disputing this so stridently, including taking things up with the ombudsman, that you would have objective evidence of how much electricity you're actually using? And that they would thus lose? At this point they have to be losing money pursuing this fool's errand? This makes no damn sense.
I suspect they might be employing ex workers from Lambeth housing benefit office.

I don't think they are trying to rip me off, there just seems a problem with their system when it comes to estimating use, and hopeless staff that don't correct things when they promise to do so.

And, in respect of June, I've only just noticed something that suggests some other problem with their graph this month, the figure on the 'home page' normally matches the graph you get after clicking on 'view my energy usage'. However this morning it's showing 264kwh so far for June, which is still out by about 200kwh, but more reasonable than the 606kwh now showing on the graph. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and the graph has had an extra line added, showing up to 700kwh, as I predicted yesterday. :D
2h.png

In their submission to the ombudsman they have already admitted I've supplied several meter readings this year, two of which were backed-up with photos, and they will need to re-bill me from the point they took over SSE in Jan. 2020, so correct usage is charged at the correct rates, as those rates have changed a number of times over the last two & a half years, so it will get resolved.

I don't think they are trying to rip me off, there just seems a problem with their system when it comes to estimating use, and hopeless staff that don't correct things when they promise to do so.

And, in respect of June, I've only just noticed something that suggests some other problem with their graph this month, the figure on the 'home page' normally matches the graph you get after clicking on 'view my energy usage'. However this morning it's showing 264kwh so far for June, which is still out by about 200kwh, but more reasonable than the 606kwh now showing on the graph. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and the graph has had an extra line added, showing up to 700kwh, as I predicted yesterday. :D
View attachment 327456

In their submission to the ombudsman they have already admitted I've supplied several meter readings this year, two of which were backed-up with photos, and they will need to re-bill me from the point they took over SSE in Jan. 2020, so correct usage is charged at the correct rates, as those rates have changed a number of times over the last two & a half years, so it will get resolved.

Isn’t that 264 kWh for May?

Last month they increased my DD to £185, so I cancelled it, then set up a new one for £125, that was taken yesterday, and has triggered another e-mail saying I need to increase it to £185, and if I don't, they will in 10 days. :facepalm:

I will once again wait until they increase it, then I'll cancel it again, but this time I'll set-up a new DD for just £1. :D

I suggest letting them take £185, and then immediately claim it back from the bank under the Direct Debit Guarantee. That should ruffle some feathers.

Because they give the required notice before changing the DD, the Direct Debit Guarantee wouldn't apply, if I went ahead and did it anyway, it could end up being more hassle than it's worth.

I think that it is conceivable that OVO's systems pass absolutely zero clue shops on their way home... :hmm:

Last month they increased my DD to £185, so I cancelled it, then set up a new one for £125, that was taken yesterday, and has triggered another e-mail saying I need to increase it to £185, and if I don't, they will in 10 days. :facepalm:

I will once again wait until they increase it, then I'll cancel it again, but this time I'll set-up a new DD for just £1. :D

I decided not to wait, I just couldn't resist testing their system, I tried setting up a new DD for just 1p, but the minimum is £1. :(
2i.png
It'll be interesting to see if it gets picked up before the 15th July payment, I suspect not, as it seems to be an automated system that only triggers after a payment is made.

I've took a calculated risk and took the plunge and fixed. I'm with E.On Next and now EDFs existing customer 24% increase offer has vanished, E.ON's existing customer offer at 30% more than the current price cap is the best fixed rate on the market, but you can only get it if you're an existing customer. I've decided to twist while It's still available. If my calculations are right I'll be paying more between now and October but overall it should work out £200 a year cheaper once the projected 46% increase comes in, in October, followed by another 1% in January. Whilst no forecasts for March and the way things are in this country at the moment, I can't see prices going down, so I made another 1% increase in March. Obviously it's all a bit attempting to crystal ball.

Reading some of the horror stories here E.On next have been pretty good. They take smart reader readings for the electric every month and adjust accordingly, and I supply them with monthly gas readings. I'm currently in credit again building up what would be the 'ready for winter credit' and the maths for their figures seems correct.

Good reading here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/u...eap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/

I've took a calculated risk and took the plunge and fixed. I'm with E.On Next and now EDFs existing customer 24% increase offer has vanished, E.ON's existing customer offer at 30% more than the current price cap is the best fixed rate on the market, but you can only get it if you're an existing customer. I've decided to twist while It's still available. If my calculations are right I'll be paying more between now and October but overall it should work out £200 a year cheaper once the projected 46% increase comes in, in October, followed by another 1% in January. Whilst no forecasts for March and the way things are in this country at the moment, I can't see prices going down, so I made another 1% increase in March. Obviously it's all a bit attempting to crystal ball.

Reading some of the horror stories here E.On next have been pretty good. They take smart reader readings for the electric every month and adjust accordingly, and I supply them with monthly gas readings. I'm currently in credit again building up what would be the 'ready for winter credit' and the maths for their figures seems correct.

Good reading here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/u...eap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/
I see according to https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/u...eap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/
that both Ovo and SSE do this for existing customers @ 32% more than existing government tariff.
? cupid_stunt ?

Bah, octopus already hiked my monthly payments from £50 a month to £80, but I was actually using far less than than that and built up a reserve of money. That reserve has now gone, and despite this being the lowest usage time of year (no heating) they have upped it to £140, which is I think roughly bit more than three times what it would usually cost me this time of year.
Depressing.

I've just dropped my bulb payment down to the minimum allowed of £87.62 - I'm still in credit of over £220, which will increase by another £20 by the time my next months payment and DD are taken into account

I'm kind of OK allowing a controlled build up for the winter months (of which I'm predicting 4 maybe 5 will be increased usage)

I decided not to wait, I just couldn't resist testing their system, I tried setting up a new DD for just 1p, but the minimum is £1. :(
View attachment 327598
It'll be interesting to see if it gets picked up before the 15th July payment, I suspect not, as it seems to be an automated system that only triggers after a payment is made.
The thing is most of the time you are the only actual human being involved in this process, you are arguing with a machine. When finally someone takes an interest I am sure it can be fixed with a few clicks of the mouse

The thing is most of the time you are the only actual human being involved in this process, you are arguing with a machine. When finally someone takes an interest I am sure it can be fixed with a few clicks of the mouse

They have made such a mess of things over around two and a half years now, I think it will take a fair bit more than a few mouse clicks, in fact they have already admitted to the ombudsman that they will have to re-issue all the bills since they first took over SSE customers in Jan. 2020.

This was their full response to the ombudsman...

Your final SSE electricity bill was £202.41dr based on an estimated meter reading 16682. SSE haven’t billed you on an actual meter reading since 19.10.2019 Based on the meter readings you provided 26.01.2022 - 13847 21.05.2022 - 14420 Your meter reading can be amended from 16682 to 13668. Your account with SSE will need to be rebilled. This will then your Ovo account to be rebilled and use the meter readings you have provided. Your account shows you are eligible for smart meters meaning we can pull your meter readings remotely to bill your accounts accurately. In the meantime you can register for an online account Energy Supplier, Switch Gas & Electricity Provider | OVO Energy Once your billing has been resolved you will be able to update your meter readings and manage your account. Due to the shortfalls in service Ovo will issue an apology and apply a £100.00 goodwill gesture

And, my reply...

So, if the last SSE meter reading was on 19.10.2019, I assume the opening estimated 10063 reading up to 8/1/20 is about right (see bill file 1 SSE Elec 2020 Apr submitted with my complaint], I understand OVO took over SSE customers in Jan 2020, so it's everything from that point forward that has gone wrong.

On the 8/1/21 (see bill file 4 SSE Elec 2021 Jan] OVO controlled SEE closing estimate was 12000, whereas I have a Meter Reading Confirmation dated 19 Jan 21 from Morrison Data Services showing it at 11486 [see file z Meter Reading 19 Jan 21], so in that first year there was an overestimate of 500+.

Why was this meter reading ignored when the May 2021 bill was issued (see bill file 5 SSE Elec 2021 May]? Why did that bill have an opening estimate of 12000 instead of the 11486 reading that was confirmed, and a massive 14201 as a closing estimate? How did they come up with estimated usage of 2201 kWh for one quarter, more than the total used in 2020?

Also, I had two meter readers visit me in the latter half of 2021 (one for gas, one for electric?] - why were the readings taken ignored?

I am already registered with an online account at Energy Supplier, Switch Gas & Electricity Provider | OVO Energy, and have submitted various readings online since Jan. 22, it always works for gas, but have been ignored for the electric, why?

With regards to this bit in my original complaint -
___
17/5/22 I received notice that they intend to increase my DD from £125 to £179, this despite the promise on the 28/3/22 that no further such notices would be issued until after my complaint was resolved. I replied by e-mail, advising that if they did, I would cancel the DD. I’ve heard nothing further.
-----

I added this as a follow up message on here [27/5/22] -

I would like to add that today I've received an e-mail stating they have increased my DD to £185, I've tried to change it back online, but the system doesn't allow me. I am not prepared to spend yet another 20-30 minutes on the phone arguing about this, so I am cancelling the DD* until this matter resolved.

It really has gone well beyond ridiculous.

------
Why was the promise on the 28/3/22 broken? Indeed, why didn't OVO act on the complaint during that call to resolve this completely long before now?

* I did actually managed to set up a new DD for £125, after at first cancelling.

It strikes me that OVO has a fair bit of explaining still to do.

Whilst clearly bills issued by OVO under both the SSE & OVO brands need adjusting, how long will this take? In my view it should be done within a couple of days.

I consider the goodwill payment offer of only £100 to be way too low considering the amount of time I've wasted trying to get OVO to resolve their endless mistakes, and the amount of stress it has caused me.

In my original complaint I suggested a figure of £150, but as problems have continued since that point, I would like consideration of £200 as a reasonable figure.

PS - My actual meter reading this morning is bang on 14500 compared to the 18256 estimated up to 21/5/22 quoted on my May bill from OVO, a different of 3756!

A bit late now but it might have been better to accept their early overestimated meter readings because they were charged at a lower rate? If they mess around any more would it be worth saying 'oh I see your first estimated reading was correct it's just the ones after that which are wrong.

They have made such a mess of things over around two and a half years now, I think it will take a fair bit more than a few mouse clicks, in fact they have already admitted to the ombudsman that they will have to re-issue all the bills since they first took over SSE customers in Jan. 2020.

This was their full response to the ombudsman...

And, my reply...

I've read and re-read your reply several times now, and try as I might, I'm struggling to find any "Fucks" "useless cunts" " wankers" or similar in it

A bit late now but it might have been better to accept their early overestimated meter readings because they were charged at a lower rate? If they mess around any more would it be worth saying 'oh I see your first estimated reading was correct it's just the ones after that which are wrong.

That wouldn't work, because my use needs to be about the same each year, if I did that, my use would have dropped about 1000kwh in 2021 compared to 2020, and I doubt they would be daft enough to accept that TBH.

Besides the unit rate averaged around 17p in 2020, compared to 22p in 2021, so accepting the over estimate in 2020 of 500kwh X the 5p difference totals just £25, peanuts compared to what I estimate to be a total over payment of about £800 and counting.

I have a key electric meter which is recharged at the local post office via E.ON ..

So far we have been paying about £10.00 a week.

The receipt says Tariff ID 135 .. I just buy £50.00 every 5 weeks or so.

There is no mention of how many units I am buying.

Back
Top Bottom