Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I think you've mixed up with pre-payment meters.

If you've one those you'll have to claim it.
Regular billed customers, whether on a smart meter or an old one, will have the amount automatically credited to their statement.

I wonder how much money the civil service have wasted on setting up the scheme for 4 year repayments of the £200, that now won't be used. When everyone said at the time it should just be a grant not a loan. :/
That could be it, always meant to look into it nearer the time.

Is it just going to be credited to your account in one big lump then? What's to stop people then just claiming a credit refund for it or will they not mind that?

Is it just going to be credited to your account in one big lump then? What's to stop people then just claiming a credit refund for it or will they not mind that?

It will come in two payments; one in July and another in the autumn.

That's the handout to those on means-tested benefits, is the energy handout the same? It would make more sense to spread it out.

Oh, so it is. The £400 will be credited to electric accounts in one amount, in October.

This is really riling me. We have the highest tax burden since WWII, and are having to shoulder the effects of really shit government decisions over the last decade in the form of high energy bills. They begrudgingly throw some crumbs our way and everyone thinks they've saved the day. The front pages of the papers this morning are pitiful.

Just got an e-mail from OVO headed - Let’s bring your account back on track - and I was actually fairly excited that they had finally resolved my complaint about the ridiculous over estimating of my electricity usage, after all they've had at least half a dozen meter readings since January, including two photos of the meter readings. But, no...[they wanted me to increase my DD]

Now, they know there's a dispute and when they last increased the DD to £179, it took 20 minutes arguing on the phone before they agreed to reduce it back to £125, which is still more than it should be. PLUS they said they would put a stop on my account, so I wouldn't receive further e-mails like this, and they wouldn't change my DD again without my agreement until my complaint is resolved, yet the e-mail continues...

Anyway, they agreed to resolve this by next Monday, otherwise the complaint goes into the energy ombudsman, so if they send me notice of this increase being applied after that, I'll just cancel the DD until it is resolved.

I've dealt with various complaints with big companies over the years, but never have I experienced anything like this bunch of total fuckwits.

In reply to their e-mail on 17/5/22 suggesting I should put my DD up to £185, and if I didn't they would, I replied...

This account is disputed, the matter is with your complaints department, who agreed to resolve it by next Monday, otherwise the complaint goes into the energy ombudsman.

When I last spoke to OVO to get the DD reduced back to £125, I was told some sort of stop would be put on the system, so I wouldn't receive such nonsense that's contained in the e-mail below, nor would OVO look to change my DD until the dispute is resolved.

Should I get notice that you are increasing the DD, I'll simply cancelled it, because this is beyond ridiculous!

The complaint did go into the energy ombudsman on Mon. 23/5/22, and guess what?

Yep, I've received an e-mail just now that they have increased my DD to £185. :facepalm: :mad:

So I am cancelling the DD.

I've run up a large debit balance, largely because my monthly DD was too low over winter.

I want to increase my monthly DD to pay it back gradually. It's currently £60. The minimum I am "allowed" to change it to is over £300.

They really need to fix their estimated usage algorithm.

So I'm just going to leave the DD at £60 as they're not forcing the issue. :)

In reply to their e-mail on 17/5/22 suggesting I should put my DD up to £185, and if I didn't they would, I replied...

The complaint did go into the energy ombudsman on Mon. 23/5/22, and guess what?

Yep, I've received an e-mail just now that they have increased my DD to £185. :facepalm: :mad:

So I am cancelling the DD.

That puts me off switching to Ovo, which I was considering.

EON seem to let you enter whatever value you want for your monthly debit, and if it’s not enough they’ll invite you to make one-off payments occasionally to catch up.

I've run up a large debit balance, largely because my monthly DD was too low over winter.

I want to increase my monthly DD to pay it back gradually. It's currently £60. The minimum I am "allowed" to change it to is over £300.

They really need to fix their estimated usage algorithm.

So I'm just going to leave the DD at £60 as they're not forcing the issue. :)

Which supplier is that & how much is the debit?

EON seem to let you enter whatever value you want for your monthly debit, and if it’s not enough they’ll invite you to make one-off payments occasionally to catch up.
It genuinely seems very silly that Shell won't let me increase DD by less than a full £250, but it's only them who are losing out from this.

I tried to changed it back to £125 online, but it would only allow me to increase it further from £185 to a maximum of £2000 pm, that's proper taking the piss, innit?

I tried to changed it back to £125 online, but it would only allow me to increase it further from £185 to a maximum of £2000 pm, that's proper taking the piss, innit?
That's absurd, there is no world in which £2000 is going to be the right answer.

The min/max DD amount should be properly regulated, but seems the energy regulator is completely hopeless.

Sounds like they think you need £185. Perhaps you think £125 is 1/12th of your projected annual usage, whereas they think the £125 is for a spring/summer month and doesn't account for increased use in winter?

Just had heat pump bloke round. Very pleasant, had a nice chat. Apparently the grants don't cover air-air heat pumps, only air-water which would be fucking useless for me.

It looks like I need a mini-split type though, outside unit with very small diameter pipe going to internal unit at the bottom of the stairs and another similar pipe up to the room upstairs where I spend evenings. Would be quite unobtrusive I think. He's getting back to me with quote. Anyway won't think of scheduling before October or November assuming autumn is as mild this year as it has been. As I say I've got a winter's worth of wood still so may postpone to next year.

I should add some more loft insulation really, only 100mm at moment. Trouble is there's no room to get up into the attic so I might need some insulation rolls and a long stick.

Sounds like they think you need £185. Perhaps you think £125 is 1/12th of your projected annual usage, whereas they think the £125 is for a spring/summer month and doesn't account for increased use in winter?

I know £125 is about right all year round, as I worked out what I used in the month up to 21/5, at the new rates and including standing charges & VAT it was £75, they think it was £115, over 50% more.

Its the problem with the over estimating of my electric, which they inherited from SSE, and I've been trying to resolve since 26/1. My meter reading inputted on their site was 14420 on the 21/5 and I had used 140.65Kkwh in the month, once again they totally ignored that and estimated I used 259.00kwh with a meter reading of 18256.

That meter reading is out by 3836Kkwh or around 2 years ahead of where I am, as I use under 2000Kkwh per year!

Oof. Should be about 275mm. Will make a big difference if you can do it.
ta :) I was assuming it should be 180 mm :facepalm:

I may do it myself with a long pointy stick although am not hugely looking forward to it. I presume I have to keep a bit away from the eaves.

Just had a quick check and an extra 200mm will cost about £800 :eek: It's sheeps wool and I thought wool was really cheap - Earthwool looks about a quarter of that price but not keen on mineral fibres :(

From what I read a while ago the difference between 100mm and 270mm isn't necessarily particularly massive in comparison to other things you can spend the money on, such as secondary glazing or whatever. I suppose it depends on the price of insulation for you and how easy it is to do it properly. And you do really need to do it properly as a few gaps here and there will render it all pretty pointless, as the warm air will funnel up through the gaps.

A big benefit of rockwool over recycled plastic fibre or sheep's wool is that it won't burn in a fire.

Wool does not support combustion and will extinguish itself in the event of fire Sheep Wool Insulation does not settle due to the high elasticity of the wool fibres ensuring no loss of performance over time Performance Benefits
according to the Sheep Wool Insulation Board. AND I see claims that sheep don't burn which I think clinches it :)

It's clothes moths I'm chiefly concerned about :(

I was telling a mate about my woes with SSE & OVO earlier, and she pointed out that OVO had actually taken over the SSE retail business back at the start of 2020, despite me only being transferred to OVO's systems in Jan. this year.

So, I've just googled, and fuck me sideways, they did take full control in Jan. 2020 and were just operating under the SSE brand whilst they slowly migrated customers over to their own systems so as to avoid problems. < [laughs hysterically.]

Therefore the problem of grossly over estimating my electric usage that started in 2021 and ignoring the figures taken by an actual meter reader, wasn't down to SSE after all, but totally down to OVO operating under the SSE brand.

So, what's all this nonsense about opening a dispute with SSE, as if it was a totally separate business, when in fact it was actually part of OVO for the entire period when things went wrong for me, and therefore an internal problem?

Google also returned various other interesting links, there's me pissed off with my account showing a £200 debit when I know I am credit by hundreds of pounds, this poor SSE/OVO customer had their debit soar to almost £19k. :bigeyes:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...nce-says-i-that-owe-ovo-nearly-19000#comments
I don’t have a smart meter so I take regular readings and enter them on to my online account with SSE. Last year I was in credit, so SSE reduced my monthly direct debit from £71 to £53. By autumn I realised this was falling short.
Due to coronavirus and lockdowns, my energy consumption was clearly higher, as I have been working from home and my estimated February bill showed a £585 deficit. I queried this, but was told that it was accurate. My direct debits were tripled to £147 last month, but when I submitted my most recent meter reading the debt soared to nearly £19,000. This is clearly insane, and yet I can’t get through to the call centre and have had no response to emails.
LINK

And, from Jan. this year...

Ovo Energy is to cut a quarter of its staff as it struggles with soaring energy prices and taking on new customers from a rival supplier.

The company told staff on Thursday that around 1,700 people would lose their jobs, with most staff expected to leave through voluntary redundancy.

Union chiefs accuse Ovo's bosses of “blundering” by pressing ahead with a 2020 acquisition of SSE’s retail customers. Unite said it had warned against the takeover, which tripled Ovo’s annual turnover from £1.5bn to £4.5bn. The job cuts are understood to relate to Ovo’s plans to integrate SSE's business with its own. LINK

So, whilst struggling with transferring former SSE customers to their own systems, they thought it would be a good idea to make a quarter of their staff redundant. :facepalm:

Just had a quick check and an extra 200mm will cost about £800 :eek: It's sheeps wool and I thought wool was really cheap - Earthwool looks about a quarter of that price but not keen on mineral fibres :(
What's the problem with mineral fibres?
Get a paper overall, face mask and some goggles and you should be fine.

A 200mm roll of knauf loft insulation is £25 from Wickes. :)

So, now I've received an e-mail from OVO that my bank has informed them that I've cancelled my DD and threatening me with higher rates, this is just taking the piss...

It costs less to pay by Direct Debit on your variable plan

This is because it’s cheaper for us to manage your account when you pay that way.

Manage my account? I doubt they can even manage to find their own arseholes, my reply -

Seems as OVO has ignored every phone call I've had with your staff, totalling almost 2 hours wasted, and every e-mail I've sent you, since 26th January, and that's why the matter in now in the hands of the energy ombudsman, my gut response to this nonsense is basically two words, can you guess what they are?

Clue, the second word is 'off'.

:D

I know £125 is about right all year round, as I worked out what I used in the month up to 21/5, at the new rates and including standing charges & VAT it was £75, they think it was £115, over 50% more.

Its the problem with the over estimating of my electric, which they inherited from SSE, and I've been trying to resolve since 26/1. My meter reading inputted on their site was 14420 on the 21/5 and I had used 140.65Kkwh in the month, once again they totally ignored that and estimated I used 259.00kwh with a meter reading of 18256.

That meter reading is out by 3836Kkwh or around 2 years ahead of where I am, as I use under 2000Kkwh per year!
I hope you remembered to mention the high stress and detrimental effect to your mental health in your complaint.

I hope you remembered to mention the high stress and detrimental effect to your mental health in your complaint.

I did in my complaint to the energy ombudsman, and asked for a reasonable minimum of £150 in compensation, tomorrow I'll update my complaint and suggest that should be now be £200.

I doubt I'll get that much, but if you don't ask...

I did in my complaint to the energy ombudsman, and asked for a reasonable minimum of £150 in compensation, tomorrow I'll update my complaint and suggest that should be now be £200.

I doubt I'll get that much, but if you don't ask...
Ovo energy are regulated by the FCA. Might be worth putting in a complaint to them as well. They won't be able to tell you what they are doing about it but will put a note on their record.

Back
Top Bottom