Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

It was a government decision not to maintain our natural gas reserves, and a government decision not to invest in nuclear power earlier.

Those two decisions have put us miles behind France in responding to this crisis.

Maybe a Labour government would have done the same though, it's impossible to say.

It was a government decision not to maintain our natural gas reserves, and a government decision not to invest in nuclear power earlier.

Those two decisions have put us miles behind France in responding to this crisis.

Maybe a Labour government would have done the same though, it's impossible to say.
Tidal power would have been the most obvious investment solution decades ago. Both Tory and Labour effing useless.

I don't think there's much appetite for nuclear power from either side. Better to keep burning fossil fuels. :rolleyes:

EDF which generates all of the power in France is 85% state owned and 70% of French power is Nuclear, which makes it a lot easier for them to cap power prices - as they are in direct control and costs are flat.

“Hilariously” EDF also own all of the currently running U.K. nuclear power stations.

The 1979 Thatcher government plan to continue building nuclear power stations would have left us in a much better place right now. But it was cancelled in the 1980s.

Ok so it turns out the £150 council tax rebate (for some) was a loan. It was to have been added back onto your energy bill in a few years time, to be repaid back to govt.
However it seems that govt now realises what a shit idea this is, and it will not have to be paid back.
Clear as mud, eh?

Ok so it turns out the £150 council tax rebate (for some) was a loan. It was to have been added back onto your energy bill in a few years time, to be repaid back to govt.
However it seems that govt now realises what a shit idea this is, and it will not have to be paid back.
Clear as mud, eh?

Nope, that refers to the £200 rebate that is due to be applied to electricity bills in the autumn. The £150 council tax rebate was never to be repaid.

Now it's going to be quicker, cheaper and easier to overbuild wind & solar.

Need lots of storage to fully solve the problem of course but i'd probably bet on that happening before we managed to build a new nuclear plant.

The modular nuclear plants thing may have legs if it can significantly reduce the per unit cost of a power station.

Nationalise & gaol the directors of energy companies

How the fuck is it morally justified to profit from the supply of utilities that can mean life of death for many?

I’m beginning to doubt that capitalism is all it’s cracked up to be

Basically, in total the council tax rebate and the extra grant in Oct., means we get at least £650 of help that doesn't need repayment.

There's even more for people on benefits & pensioners.

Here's the details -

What support has the chancellor announced?
  • Eight million of the lowest income households - those on Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Pension Credit and legacy benefits - will be receive a one-off payment of £650. It will come in two payments; one in July and another in the autumn
  • Pensioners will get an extra £300 via winter fuel payments
  • There'll be a one-off disability cost-of-living payment of £150 for those in receipt of Personal Independence Payments
  • Mr Sunak also doubled a planned £200 energy support grant coming in the autumn to £400 and cancelled the planned repayments

Here's the details -

• Eight million of the lowest income households - those on Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Pension Credit and legacy benefits - will be receive a one-off payment of £650. It will come in two payments; one in July and another in the autumn
  • There'll be a one-off disability cost-of-living payment of £150 for those in receipt of Personal Independence Payments
  • Mr Sunak also doubled a planned £200 energy support grant coming in the autumn to £400 and cancelled the planned repayments

Nothing for energy efficiency.

Here's the details -

Some good came out of Partygate after all eh?
Nothing to see here it is time to Move On

They've even messed up the timing of this announcement. Now everyone thinks they're only doing it because of Partygate not because they think it's actually necessary. Go on Rishi, shoot the other foot.

They've even messed up the timing of this announcement. Now everyone thinks they're only doing it because of Partygate not because they think it's actually necessary. Go on Rishi, shoot the other foot.

They haven't messed up the timing, this is very much about partygate, not just to reduce media coverage of that, but an attempt to reassure MPs they can get on top of things, as MPs return to their constituencies during the half-term recess, and face the anger from their local supporters & voters.

They haven't messed up the timing, this is very much about partygate, not just to reduce media coverage of that, but an attempt to reassure MPs they can get on top of things, as MPs return to their constituencies during the half-term recess, and face the anger from their local supporters & voters.
Good luck with that.

Good news for those who need it; I still hate the tories though

Also I’ve learnt today that disabled people are half as important as pensioners in Rishi’s eyes

So on this £400 energy payment. If I remember right with the original £200 If you didn't have a smart meter you had to do something to claim it? Has it been said yet If this is still the same? The news I have looked at is typically vague on this.

It's just that the question of if I have a smart meter or not, is. It as simple it should be.

So on this £400 energy payment. If I remember right with the original £200 If you didn't have a smart meter you had to do something to claim it? Has it been said yet If this is still the same? The news I have looked at is typically vague on this.

It's just that the question of if I have a smart meter or not, is. It as simple it should be.
I think you've mixed up with pre-payment meters.

If you've one those you'll have to claim it.
Regular billed customers, whether on a smart meter or an old one, will have the amount automatically credited to their statement.

I wonder how much money the civil service have wasted on setting up the scheme for 4 year repayments of the £200, that now won't be used. When everyone said at the time it should just be a grant not a loan. :/

There was something about pre-payment meters, smart ones will be credited, vouchers will be issued to other customers.

Otherwise it's just credited to your account, whether you have a smart meter or not.

Back
Top Bottom