Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

We don't have gas, just electric, so maybe that explains it...a bit?

Standing charge up to 50p a day from 21p a day.

I was only taking about my electric costs, standing charge has gone from 22.89p to 39.67p per day, the rate per kWh went from 20.53p to 28.08p.

On the gas side, standing charge has gone from 24.87p to 25.92p per day, the rate per kWh went from 3.86p to 6.97p.

Last edited:
We're with Bulb and our standing change is now 51.63p / day and 28.41p / KWh for power - I can't remember what the "old" prices were

Back to the fridge for the moment - I've got stuff in a cool box at the moment but it's not really satisfactory. Was thinking that I could take stuff out of the freezer at night and put it in a properly insulated cool box like:

View attachment 323333
but it would soon get scubby so I thought a proper cool box something like:

View attachment 323334
but they're 50 quid odd so I caved in and have ordered a mini fridge from Currys for £80.

Incidentally all the energy ratings have been upgraded (downgraded?) so what was A+ is now F.

I just bought a 23-inch monitor with a power consumption of 13 W and it's rated as F :confused:
oh boy, all my appliances must be ZZZ------------------- ish
I was only taking about my electric costs, standing charge has gone from 22.89p to 39.67p per day, the rate per kWh went from 20.53p to 28.08p.

On the gas side, standing charge has gone from 24.87p to 325.92p per day, the rate per kWh went from 3.86p to 6.97p.
massive increase on teh gas standing charge or a comma placing mistake?

My bill hasn't doubled or tripled - in fact the rate per unit of electricity has stayed the same. My daily standing charge has increased by 150%.

So my supplier obviously whacked up the DD.

I'm now nearly £300 in credit to fucking Eon. :mad:
They should have a facility to request repayment hidden away on the website somewhere; I've never been able to find it on EDF except by putting 'get repayment from EDF' into the search engine.

I submitted my meter readings on Saturday in time for this month's bill, gas is fine, but still the electric situation hasn't been resolved.

My meter reading was 14420, 140.65Kkwh used in the month, usage cost £39.49. OVO have estimated my meter reading as 18256, 259.00kwh used at a cost of £72.73. :facepalm:

They are showing I am almost £200 in debt, whereas I estimate I am around £400 in credit.

Anyway, they have missed the deadline they agreed for resolving this matter, so the complaint goes into the energy ombudsman today.

ETA - the complaint is in, OVO has 2 weeks to respond.

Last edited:
So:
20A Charger charging for 6.5 hours to give 130 Ah (1.6 kWh) to power 140 W computer for 7 hours.

Two 130 Ah Batteries. I discover that it’s 130 Ah (C100) meaning it’s only 130 Ah if discharged over 100 hours. If discharged over say 10 hours the capacity is only around 90 Ah. So I’m charging up 130 Ah worth but only getting 90 Ah back because of internal losses which is a bit of a shame but never mind. I’m thinking of two batteries so that they’re not deep cycling the whole time which I presume wouldn’t do them any good.

3 kW Inverter which might even let me run a 1 kW fan heater for an hour on sunny but cold winter day

I can’t retrofit a battery to my PV system so I’m hoping this will take me near off-grid between May and October. The panels would charge the batteries over day, with anything over the 240 W (20 A @ 12 V) being used by my existing controller to heat my immersion. I think that’s a cloudy but reasonably bright day. It all doesn’t take up too much room either, will need to allow for air flow but a block about 35l x 40w x 40h cm.

Tl:dr Costs around £310 and assuming a future price of 50p/kWh hopefully gives a repayment time of around 20 months. :thumbs:
ordered, should all be here sometime june, xcited :)

It angers me more because they were a decent company before eating SSE. Instead of bringing SSE up to their level, it's brought their own customers down to SSE's level.

Following conversations I've had with OVO I get the impression they have inherited a lot of problems from SSE and are struggling to get on top of it, I hope when they do it will get back to how it used to be.

Anyway, the complaint is in to the ombudsman, OVO has 2 weeks to respond.

My over-estimated bill problem lasted for about a year before it was eventually sorted.

Then the new supplier had a problem with over-estimated future usage (please increase DD to £400pcm no thanks!!)

I'm hoping it's fixed because they have managed to somehow revive my smart meters that I had installed years ago and were dead to my previous supplier.

Finally got my first bill from British Gas. Have been put on a quarterly, gas and electric with them. They've got the credit from my bust supplier and used it. So my bill was actually surprisingly OK. Which is a relief. I spose I rarely turn the heating on maybe have half a dozen occasions this year, if that. I feel like I use a lot of electricity though. Gadgets, small server on 24/7, desktop on more than off, + WFH.

Quite impressed he managed it but mostly I'm just in awe at his normal day to day diet.

£200 a week to £5 a week is quite the change.

I do note however:
  • he didn't include the cost of cooking in his budget
  • he got given some food for free
  • he lost a significant amount of weight

The third one would be more worrying if he didn't normally eat a ton of junk food every day haha

Taxing the wind farm and renewables as well, canny chap :facepalm:

Yes they are taxing the wind farm who's electricity is being sold to consumers for 30p per kw/hr, when their business case required <5p per kw/hr.

The wind farms going online in the U.K. now - have been built on the basis that the U.K. gov guarantees a price somewhere between 40 and 60 quid per megawatt hour.

This means if the the provider can provide power cheaper than this they make money.

At points in may 2022 the price per megawatt hour was nearly 500 quid.

This means the providers have been making 450 quid per megawatt hour supplied.

This is why the windfall tax is totally justified, none of these companies foresaw this money coming - therefore they’ve not planned to spend it.

This is why the windfall tax is totally justified, none of these companies foresaw this money coming - therefore they’ve not planned to spend it.
Same could be said of the government raking in extra tax due to rising prices of gas, electric, petrol and all other goods. I wonder if the government have taken this into account? :hmm:

Same could be said of the government raking in extra tax due to rising prices of gas, electric, petrol and all other goods. I wonder if the government have taken this into account? :hmm:

Yup - if petrol has gone up 50% the Vat revenue on it is up 50% as well.

I try to concentrate my hatred on the cunts that enabled it - particularly Daily Mail and Sun and the rest that hoorayed them into power.

Separate topic: first useful thing I've found on NextDoor - announcement of heat pump (etc) grants.

From the Department of Levelling up :puke: - great initiative, just relabel existing shit as 'levelling up' like Thatcher relabelled rubbish dumps as 'Recycling Centres'.

Last edited:
Bloke's arriving Friday lunchtime to check whether air source heat pump would work :thumbs: .

I see there's also heat pumps that work from domestic hot water supply (I presume immersion heater) which would be good because of the Solamiser controller I've got. I'd actually idly wondered before whether I could put a fan across the immersion heater to blow warm air round upstairs in winter.

Eta: ah I suppose the hot water supply heat pumps will be water to water types rather than air to air.

Back
Top Bottom