Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Is it a (mains input) desktop or a laptop? If the latter then you only need a 4000mAh battery with DC output at the right voltage (capable of 0.6A output, which is trivial), and get the right jack on the end, which should be easy enough. If eg it’s USB-C powered then this will run it
Battery
And charge no problem in the time you have available I’d think. Saves one of the DC->AC->DC cycles which will be much more efficient.

I think :)
Desktop I’m afraid. It’s my main work computer with two monitors so I couldn’t really use my laptop (which is anyway knackered)

Your other option would be to spend the money on a more efficient computer. Eg the new mac minis only use about 20-30W. I don't know if there are equivalents in windows world.
The computer is an oldish i3 taking so only taking about 80 W and I’ve upgraded to SSD and things and I'm hoping it should have a few years life left in it. Plus the two monitors between them take 60 W.

UPSs containing lead-acid batteries are designed to run PCs out of the box. No faff with figuring out how it all wires up.

This will run a 200W PC for three hours: APC Smart-UPS 2200VA USB & Serial 120V - APC Trinidad and Tobago

Might be worth seeing if you can find one or more second-hand ones.
UPS would be ideal and simplest but on reflection I’m not sure it would work. They are generally just for emergency backup and only seem to give around 3 hours maximum for 140 W. Some of them will take an extra battery, but all the ones I looked at that do this cost up to £1000.

Second hand would be possible but I’d also be using them in a way they’re not designed for, i.e. running them to near empty every day. So I think I really need a deep-cycle battery.

Only had a quick look at your links last night. The other problem would be how to get it to charge when the sun is out and you have a surplus if power? Could you link it to your immersion heater that only works when you have surplus PV? But you would need something as well that makes sure the battery is charged even if it's a cloudy day.
Yes today I actually spoke to the bloke who made the controller which diverts the extra power from solar panels to heat my immersion heater. He said the best way (apart from charging the battery at night using cheap 5p/unit power from Octopus which he’s actually thinking of) would be just to plug the charger/battery/inverter into one of the house sockets.

I could then just switch the charger on when there’s enough power from panels to cover my computer/fridge/freezer which are my only real base load (about 300 W which I’d get from a reasonably bright but cloud covered day). If there’s not enough charge during the day I could just plug the computer into my usual mains socket at night.

Eta: apologies to all for the delay in getting back to you and thanks for the thoughts. I'm getting quite hopeful about this now if I can get an inverter.

Thanks :) . Is this the charger you linked to? Your link doesn’t work for me. Charges at 20 A so about 6 hours to charge 130 Ah battery, which would be ideal if so. I think the original battery I linked to would be good.

Any thoughts for an inverter? I did check but the only 2 kW ones I could see for under £200 are used ones (which might be fine tbh). Eta: something like this?

Afraid I’d not be confident replacing the computer power supply, well I’m confident I could do it but I’m not confident it would work afterwards. (I’d also need a 240 V supply for the monitors?). The chargers/inverters look about 80- 90% efficient so about 70% efficient in total but better than the near 0% efficient by just wasting the extra energy as I do now.
That was not the battery charger I had linked to, but it looks ok and I can’t remember or find the one I originally found.

Be careful with the inverter - the one you linked to is “modified sine wave”, which means the output is closer to a square wave than the true sine wave that mains electricity should be. There’s no guarantee your computer would operate from it.

In inverters, I know of no better bargain than these from Banggood I have a 3000W and 5000W 12V version and they work great. Assuming you’re seeing the same prices I am, the 3000W / 12V ship from China option is only £87 atm, so get it ordered quick if you’re going to, before it goes up again. They are true sine wave output and will use only around 0.7A standby current from your 12V battery with nothing plugged into the mains output, which is pretty good. Sign up to their email newsletter before ordering and you might get a discount code. I’ve ordered tons from them over the years, they’re a fairly safe company, but untick the “shipping insurance” and “tariff insurance” options in checkout, it’s a money maker for them (pay with PayPal and shipping loss / damage is their liability, not yours, so no need to pay for insurance).

The 2200W one is around £15 cheaper at £60. It’s up to you. Personally I’d stick with the 3000W one I know, since you have to halve the rating for a true figure and there’s surge current to consider. They’re damn cheap for what they are.

Last edited:
UPS would be ideal and simplest but on reflection I’m not sure it would work. They are generally just for emergency backup and only seem to give around 3 hours maximum for 140 W. Some of them will take an extra battery, but all the ones I looked at that do this cost up to £1000.

Second hand would be possible but I’d also be using them in a way they’re not designed for, i.e. running them to near empty every day. So I think I really need a deep-cycle battery.
Ups wouldn't work anyway as it only switches over to battery when the mains supply fails and as it would be plugged into a normal socket it won't unless you have a power cut.

Just got an e-mail from OVO headed - Let’s bring your account back on track - and I was actually fairly excited that they had finally resolved my complaint about the ridiculous over estimating of my electricity usage, after all they've had at least half a dozen meter readings since January, including two photos of the meter readings.

But, no...

We recently ran a Direct Debit check-in on your account to make sure your payments match your energy use and costs.

Your most recent check-in showed us your monthly payment isn’t enough

It won’t cover your estimated energy use and costs, and as of today your balance is set to be -£640.29 by 17 May 2023 – this is your current 12-month billing period as you’re on our Simpler Energy plan. To get your balance back on track, we need to increase your payments. We need you to increase your monthly Direct Debit to £179. This is an increase from your current amount of £125.

WTF? :facepalm: :mad:

Now, they know there's a dispute and when they last increased the DD to £179, it took 20 minutes arguing on the phone before they agreed to reduce it back to £125, which is still more than it should be. PLUS they said they would put a stop on my account, so I wouldn't receive further e-mails like this, and they wouldn't change my DD again without my agreement until my complaint is resolved, yet the e-mail continues...

If you don’t take any action

We’ll automatically adjust your monthly payment,
giving you at least 10 working days notice before your payment. As of today the amount would be £179, we will recalculate it to make sure you're paying the right amount. This is to protect you from building up a negative balance and having to pay a lump sum in the future.

Anyway, they agreed to resolve this by next Monday, otherwise the complaint goes into the energy ombudsman, so if they send me notice of this increase being applied after that, I'll just cancel the DD until it is resolved.

I've dealt with various complaints with big companies over the years, but never have I experienced anything like this bunch of total fuckwits.

I paid £300 to Eaon a few months ago - from a meter reading. This is ma's house which is empty with everything but the radio switched off. The bill I paid included me being there for 3 months last year.

The cunts now are hassling me for £160 :D
I'll ring them tomorrow- because that's my admin day this week....theoretically!

Well, the old OWL meter is definitely the "weak" link in my energy usage chain . . . so far this month it is over reading by 27KW against the actual usage recorded by the consumer unit doo-dah

Lowest daily usage so far is . . . 2KW and that was yesterday when we were both out of the house for most of the day, so nothing actually being used apart from the fridge freezer and some background "stuff"

Timer is excellent, ta and a lot better than what I was thinking of :)

Switch on at about 10 am when the sun hits the panels to 4 pm. Any extra would as now go to heat my immersion although I'd have to watch that in winter because of Legionnaires, perhaps switch the immersion off. In winter if there's not enough sunlight I could just charge the battery up and disconnect it, running the puter from mains at night.

I am also thinking of leaving my existing UPS connected as it is since this would warn me (annoying beep) if the main battery was discharged.

Yes today I actually spoke to the bloke who made the controller which diverts the extra power from solar panels to heat my immersion heater. He said the best way (apart from charging the battery at night using cheap 5p/unit power from Octopus which he’s actually thinking of) would be just to plug the charger/battery/inverter into one of the house sockets.

I could then just switch the charger on when there’s enough power from panels to cover my computer/fridge/freezer which are my only real base load (about 300 W which I’d get from a reasonably bright but cloud covered day). If there’s not enough charge during the day I could just plug the computer into my usual mains socket at night.

Eta: apologies to all for the delay in getting back to you and thanks for the thoughts. I'm getting quite hopeful about this now if I can get an inverter.
Not sure where you are located but I collected 2 UPS which I am not using (maybe you can daisy chain them? And I also have a deep cycle battery which I do not need in Brixton London if it's any help.
Ups wouldn't work anyway as it only switches over to battery when the mains supply fails and as it would be plugged into a normal socket it won't unless you have a power cut.
switches on sockets ;-)

No car here :( but again thanks - appreciated. The battery particularly would have been good because I think I'm going to need two.

I was wondering whether I could use a solar cell to detect the light level I should switch on at, but then I'd run the risk of switching on and off repeatedly :rolleyes: . I'll look back through my records to check the times with most sun, but if it's charging for 6-8 hours then it's going to be around 10 am to 6 pm I think. A versatile easily changeable timer would be good to let me change the start time depending on what the day's forecast is like.

So:
20A Charger charging for 6.5 hours to give 130 Ah (1.6 kWh) to power 140 W computer for 7 hours.

Two 130 Ah Batteries. I discover that it’s 130 Ah (C100) meaning it’s only 130 Ah if discharged over 100 hours. If discharged over say 10 hours the capacity is only around 90 Ah. So I’m charging up 130 Ah worth but only getting 90 Ah back because of internal losses which is a bit of a shame but never mind. I’m thinking of two batteries so that they’re not deep cycling the whole time which I presume wouldn’t do them any good.

3 kW Inverter which might even let me run a 1 kW fan heater for an hour on sunny but cold winter day

I can’t retrofit a battery to my PV system so I’m hoping this will take me near off-grid between May and October. The panels would charge the batteries over day, with anything over the 240 W (20 A @ 12 V) being used by my existing controller to heat my immersion. I think that’s a cloudy but reasonably bright day. It all doesn’t take up too much room either, will need to allow for air flow but a block about 35l x 40w x 40h cm.

Tl:dr Costs around £310 and assuming a future price of 50p/kWh hopefully gives a repayment time of around 20 months. :thumbs:

So:
20A Charger charging for 6.5 hours to give 130 Ah (1.6 kWh) to power 140 W computer for 7 hours.

Two 130 Ah Batteries. I discover that it’s 130 Ah (C100) meaning it’s only 130 Ah if discharged over 100 hours. If discharged over say 10 hours the capacity is only around 90 Ah. So I’m charging up 130 Ah worth but only getting 90 Ah back because of internal losses which is a bit of a shame but never mind. I’m thinking of two batteries so that they’re not deep cycling the whole time which I presume wouldn’t do them any good.

3 kW Inverter which might even let me run a 1 kW fan heater for an hour on sunny but cold winter day

I can’t retrofit a battery to my PV system so I’m hoping this will take me near off-grid between May and October. The panels would charge the batteries over day, with anything over the 240 W (20 A @ 12 V) being used by my existing controller to heat my immersion. I think that’s a cloudy but reasonably bright day. It all doesn’t take up too much room either, will need to allow for air flow but a block about 35l x 40w x 40h cm.

Tl:dr Costs around £310 and assuming a future price of 50p/kWh hopefully gives a repayment time of around 20 months. :thumbs:
Can't remember if you already answered this, but is selling the surplus daytime electricity back to your supplier not an option for you?

Seems silly that an individual has to set up all this kit when the national grid could effectively be doing the same thing.

Yep indeed. With the contract I'm under though they pay me 4p/unit for excess energy I export, even after all the energy price increases (I get paid 25p/unit for all the energy I generate though).

Yep indeed. With the contract I'm under though they pay me 4p/unit for excess energy I export, even after all the energy price increases (I get paid 25p/unit for all the energy I generate though).
What if you switched to a supplier that gave you a better deal for excess energy though?

eg

and I think the 4p is supplier wide, it was fixed by the government when I signed the contract (was initially 3p/unit but they increased it :thumbs: ).

We've been having rubbish weather. Rain non stop. Wind. It's quite cool for mid May. There has been no chance of drying the washing outdoors so the tumble dryer is on.
I've always tried to line dry clothes from April to October. But this month so far has been a disaster.

Also, the parents need to be warm so the heating has been on for an hour every morning and 2 hours before bedtime. We have ended up going to bed early just because its warmer there. I'm looking into the costs involved in changing from open fire to a stove. They seem to be a lot warmer and possibly cheaper to run?

The electric bill is due to get €100 knocked off it by the government as a once off thing. But I suspect the bill will still be high. Dreading it.
I've sold some of my doc marten collection which will help with the bill and surely the weather will warm up in June.

Just got an e-mail from OVO headed - Let’s bring your account back on track - and I was actually fairly excited that they had finally resolved my complaint about the ridiculous over estimating of my electricity usage, after all they've had at least half a dozen meter readings since January, including two photos of the meter readings.

But, no...

Now, they know there's a dispute and when they last increased the DD to £179, it took 20 minutes arguing on the phone before they agreed to reduce it back to £125, which is still more than it should be. PLUS they said they would put a stop on my account, so I wouldn't receive further e-mails like this, and they wouldn't change my DD again without my agreement until my complaint is resolved, yet the e-mail continues...

Anyway, they agreed to resolve this by next Monday, otherwise the complaint goes into the energy ombudsman, so if they send me notice of this increase being applied after that, I'll just cancel the DD until it is resolved.

I've dealt with various complaints with big companies over the years, but never have I experienced anything like this bunch of total fuckwits.
phone them up and tell them you are switching to solar and firewood

We've been having rubbish weather. Rain non stop. Wind. It's quite cool for mid May. There has been no chance of drying the washing outdoors so the tumble dryer is on.
I've always tried to line dry clothes from April to October. But this month so far has been a disaster.

Also, the parents need to be warm so the heating has been on for an hour every morning and 2 hours before bedtime. We have ended up going to bed early just because its warmer there. I'm looking into the costs involved in changing from open fire to a stove. They seem to be a lot warmer and possibly cheaper to run?

The electric bill is due to get €100 knocked off it by the government as a once off thing. But I suspect the bill will still be high. Dreading it.
I've sold some of my doc marten collection which will help with the bill and surely the weather will warm up in June.
Yes stove will be more efficient and cheaper to run rather than open fire. You may need a chimney liner though, so yes get a couple of quotes.

Back
Top Bottom