Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Don't you have a fridge?
I think my fridge is the highest intermittent user of electrical power in the house.
The council have me one of those OWL meters about 12 years ago to decorate my kitchen cabinet.
Whenever I see a sudden surge in power usage it's always the fridge - I can feel the warmth in the condenser tube - and the sensuous throbbing!

I got this shocker yesterday:
View attachment 320420
Looks like I'm just going to have to load a spreadsheet now.
As I commented up thread, suppliers now officially charge £48 per year per fuel extra (ie £4 per month per fuel) if you do not pay by direct debit.

But there may be a way out of this ESTIMATED BILL HELL.

According to Shell you can also have this - effectively monthly pay-as-you go
View attachment 320422
Does Ovo offer this? If it does maybe go for it.
I certainly am on Shell. Clearly Shell's bill estimator thinks I'm running a hotel in South London where all the guests will be in and out of the Sauna all day this coming summer.
cupid_stunt two sheds
Ovo don't do variable direct debits - look at this from the Ovo Forum. They almost seem to take pride in unhelpfulness. They don't even do direct debits on actual use IF YOU HAVE SMART METERS.
Presumably they are only fitting smart meters to avoid the OFGEM fine for not doing it!

Q Will OVO introduce variable DDs where a smart meter is installed?
Will OVO introduce variable Direct Debits where a smart meter is installed? | The OVO Forum
Best answer by Tim_OVO
Updated on 01/03/22 by Jess_OVO

We don’t currently offer a variable Direct Debit payment option. With our Direct Debits your amount won’t change month to month, even if you’ve got Smart Meters installed.

However we’ll regularly check your Direct Debit amount is enough to cover your usage costs. As your smart meters send us your readings regularly, these Direct Debit check in’s are more accurate than if we’re estimating your usage.

Your usage tends to be higher in the winter and lower in the summer which would mean much higher monthly payments in winter, if your Direct Debit varied month to month. Having a more stable Direct Debit amount should allow you to spread your usage costs out throughout the year- building up credit in the summer to see you through the following winter. We find most members prefer things this way as it allows for easier monthly budgeting all year.

Credit interest
There is an oddity about Ovo (and Scottish Power apparently)
Ovo made a big thing they paid 3% on credit balances to loyal DD customers - even suggesting in 2017 they were increasing this to 5% for ever.
There seems little information about this - so don't know if it's still in force.

Interesting - although I'd disagree with the general gist here unless you're sure all your devices are pretty new.

Unless you measure you have no idea what uses lots of standby power. For us - an old stereo - perhaps not surprising, but the TV is pretty recent but uses quite a bit on standby so switching it off at the plug is really effective.

cupid_stunt two sheds

Credit interest
There is an oddity about Ovo (and Scottish Power apparently)
Ovo made a big thing they paid 3% on credit balances to loyal DD customers - even suggesting in 2017 they were increasing this to 5% for ever.
There seems little information about this - so don't know if it's still in force.
Aye, we get 5%. Is pretty much the only reason we didn't move to Octopus last year. The projected savings were about £10, and then factoring in the interest it was even less so we didn't bother.

I'm not surprised they don't offer exact billing though. That float of cash they have from people is what keeps them afloat when prices fluctuate wildly. Moreso, I'm surprised that any of them offer it.

Interesting - although I'd disagree with the general gist here unless you're sure all your devices are pretty new.

Unless you measure you have no idea what uses lots of standby power. For us - an old stereo - perhaps not surprising, but the TV is pretty recent but uses quite a bit on standby so switching it off at the plug is really effective.
My latest PC allegedly uses 65 watts when ON (excluding the screen), but has an external PSU like those you get for laptops.
What is your estimate for this PSU if not unplugged?
I would say negligible - but you never know in these days when all PSUs are switch-mode.
As a budding nonagenarian I hanker after the days when all electrical equipment used transformers - power transformers and of course audio output transformers for those lovely glowing valves.

Did my Antofagasta Copper Mine shares a treat (or FAGS if you happen to be Justin Urquhart Stewart)

I'm tempted to test our PC with and without the graphics card to see how much difference that makes. Might be going a bit too far though ... 🤔
In my case I think the low consumption is because there is no separate graphics card - it's integrated. Seems to work OK on Libre Office electricity spreadsheets though.

Is the GPU mainly going to determine the power consumption?

/disclaimer this is what I'd assumed no idea how true it is

Aye, we get 5%. Is pretty much the only reason we didn't move to Octopus last year. The projected savings were about £10, and then factoring in the interest it was even less so we didn't bother.

I'm not surprised they don't offer exact billing though. That float of cash they have from people is what keeps them afloat when prices fluctuate wildly. Moreso, I'm surprised that any of them offer it.
I suppose Shell Energy has a bit of a hedge going on with their other business of fossil fuel extraction
that's up to half a kW :eek:
They do throw off a lot of heat though, could save on the heating bill ;)

I suppose Shell Energy has a bit of a hedge going on with their other business of fossil fuel extraction
Regarding Shell - this was formerly "First Utility".
In the last price rise panic (much milder than the current one to be fair) the First Utility boss was trailed as an ex coal miner who saw no need for customers to walk around their houses skimpily clad

I was with First Utility at the time - and this supercilious attitude was what drove me to Atlantic Electricty and Gas - I think.
To be honest I've had more suppliers than Mae West had lovers.
It all started with Amerada Hess around 1999 - they exited the UK after the ENRON crisis.
Not sure why any government ever said the current system was stable, let alone good.

Last edited:
Hah! I just got an estimated bill from EON re my late ma's empty house....£161. I paid a big bill based on meter readings 6 weeks ago as I'd forgotten to pay after I'd spent 3 months there last year.

I'll offer to pay quarterly based on a meter reading. I wonder if they will go for it?

UK savings in action

UK credit card debt hits record high as inflation and cost of living bite

Consumers borrowed £1.5bn net in February — the highest monthly figure since statistics began in 1993

The figure was more than three times higher than the average of £400mn borrowed in the previous six months and pushed total consumer credit, which includes personal loans and car dealership finance, to £1.9bn net — the highest level in five years.

A fortnightly survey by the Office for National Statistics showed last week that 12 per cent of respondents were using credit cards more than usual to cope with increased prices in the first half of March. The proportion rose to 18 per cent for those aged 30 to 49 and to 21 per cent among renters. Another one in 10 people said they were also borrowing more from family and friends.

BoE governor Andrew Bailey said on Monday that the UK was facing “a historic” hit to real incomes this year, as spiralling energy costs following the Russian invasion of Ukraine contributed to eroding households’ spending power. The BoE data showed that consumers also deposited less money in bank accounts than before the pandemic. Households deposited £4bn in banks and building societies, less than the £6.3bn average in the previous six months and down from the monthly average of £4.6bn in 2019.

UK savings in action

UK credit card debt hits record high as inflation and cost of living bite

Consumers borrowed £1.5bn net in February — the highest monthly figure since statistics began in 1993

The figure was more than three times higher than the average of £400mn borrowed in the previous six months and pushed total consumer credit, which includes personal loans and car dealership finance, to £1.9bn net — the highest level in five years.

A fortnightly survey by the Office for National Statistics showed last week that 12 per cent of respondents were using credit cards more than usual to cope with increased prices in the first half of March. The proportion rose to 18 per cent for those aged 30 to 49 and to 21 per cent among renters. Another one in 10 people said they were also borrowing more from family and friends.

BoE governor Andrew Bailey said on Monday that the UK was facing “a historic” hit to real incomes this year, as spiralling energy costs following the Russian invasion of Ukraine contributed to eroding households’ spending power. The BoE data showed that consumers also deposited less money in bank accounts than before the pandemic. Households deposited £4bn in banks and building societies, less than the £6.3bn average in the previous six months and down from the monthly average of £4.6bn in 2019.
The FT is just head and shoulders above the rest of the pack on this stuff.

I use my credit 100% more than 2 years ago - because Covid has led to card payment being the norm in most shops, pubs etc.
As it happens I clear the balance each month - so whilst I technically add to the UK credit card debt it is only cyclical on a monthly basis.

BP announce £5 billion profit. Tory woman on the BBC defends it.

Unless BP do "something" constructive pdq about using that profit - very publicly - towards cost of living & environmental matters then I would strongly support a windfall / excess profit tax - with the proceeds used to reduce cost of living increases [ how ?] and environmental measures ...

The Rosneft loss is a 'non-cash charge', i.e. no cash has changed hands but the asset value has depreciated. The net debt is also $27.5billion

The Rosneft loss is a 'non-cash charge', i.e. no cash has changed hands but the asset value has depreciated. The net debt is also $27.5billion
Debt issued by companies to raise capital should not be confused with personal debt. It's not a problem for BP to have billions of outstanding debt, it's completely normal.

looks like ofgem might be taking an interest ...

I wonder how sharp is their bite, now they've barked ?
The article doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know. What it has failed to point out though as has happened with some family members. Is that when their energy supplylier went bust, they were on what is by todays energy cap tariff, an absolute steal! So when they get moved to a new company and find their bills have increased by 80ish percent, they are wondering WTF!
Other family members have incorrectly been telling them it should only be 54% more. Yes that's right, but only if they were going from energy cap before April, to Energy Cap after April.
If they've gone from a great fixed price deal, to the current price cap, then yes, it will be a hell of a lot more than 54% more.

Back
Top Bottom