Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Off-topic for this thread, but I learned during my France trip that anyone wanting a residence permit (titre de sejour) has to demonstrate a non-trivial level of proficiency in French. I guess you're already on top of that, but just in case you weren't...

(My - basic - French would not be good enough: you have to be at about the level of the average 12 edit: 10-11 year old French person :eek:)
I'd got wind of that ... I wonder if the Spanish have introduced than now... some regulars on a forum I belong to claim it varies a lot with préfectures .. perhaps they'll invite me to speak French at my visa interview - though it wouldn't be obligatory at that stage ...

I keep encountering people who lived in the country without mastering the language at all - not least a well-educated Youtuber who after 18 years with actual French friends claimed to not be able to pronounce the name of a village called "Beaulieu" :eek:

Luckily it was to a large extent the favourite thing I learned at school - I got grade A at O level and failed English :D
I will be fascinated to find out how deeply I will be able to forge friendships with that "veil" in place - in fact perhaps it may help me with over-thinking ...

I currently test as roughly A2 / B1 with holes ...
... after the 5 years needed to qualify, it won't be language that stops me passing the citizenship test...

The issue for me is I enjoy French radio on a daily basis - but the vocab is usually quite limited and the contexts are limited- even when it's philosophers discussing Freud ... I have a lot more problems with theatre and literature because the vocab is richer ...
But at the moment I would need to take a list of vocab to describe a medical problem and I would struggle to give directions !

If I can see it written I can pronounce it - my phone is set to recognise French and I do pretty well ... every now and again I try to sing along with Brassens ...

Finding French speakers with whom I can actually sustain more than a token conversation has always proved elusive - but the same applies to my own language - I mostly speak to myself ...

Last edited:
I'd got wind of that ... I wonder if the Spanish have introduced than now... some regulars on a forum I belong to claim it varies a lot with préfectures .. perhaps they'll invite me to speak French at my visa interview - though it wouldn't be obligatory at that stage ...

I keep encountering people who lived in the country without mastering the language at all - not least a well-educated Youtuber who after 18 years with actual French friends claimed to not be able to pronounce the name of a village called "Beaulieu" :eek:

Luckily it was to a large extent the favourite thing I learned at school - I got grade A at O level and failed English :D
I will be fascinated to find out how deeply I will be able to forge friendships with that "veil" in place - in fact perhaps it may help me with over-thinking ...

I currently test as roughly A2 / B1 with holes ...
... after the 5 years needed to qualify, it won't be language that stops me passing the citizenship test...

The issue for me is I enjoy French radio on a daily basis - but the vocab is usually quite limited and the contexts are limited- even when it's philosophers discussing Freud ... I have a lot more problems with theatre and literature because the vocab is richer ...
But at the moment I would need to take a list of vocab to describe a medical problem and I would struggle to give directions !

If I can see it written I can pronounce it - my phone is set to recognise French and I do pretty well ... every now and again I try to sing along with Brassens ...

Finding French speakers with whom I can actually sustain more than a token conversation has always proved elusive - but the same applies to my own language - I mostly speak to myself ...

My brother has lived in Malaga for years and had to get some kind of "Residencia". I think this does require knowledge of Spanish. I imagine he speaks "Mockney Spanish" - not that I should judge him - I can't speak any foreign languages proficiently, though I do live in Brixton, not Barcelona or Berlin!

It looks like they've suddenly decided they've been undercharging me and they're going to try and collect it in one big go. I think I'll write into them and see what I can sort out

It looks like they've suddenly decided they've been undercharging me and they're going to try and collect it in one big go. I think I'll write into them and see what I can sort out

This shouldn't happen if you have been providing regular meter readings, otherwise they are just estimating and may have it wrong.

A starting point is to check your actual meter readings against what they think they are on your latest bill or the e-mail they sent explaining why your DD is going up.

This shouldn't happen if you have been providing regular meter readings, otherwise they are just estimating and may have it wrong.

A starting point is to check your actual meter readings against what they think they are on your latest bill or the e-mail they sent explaining why your DD is going up.
I did submit a reading yesterday and got the email today which suggests its a genuine amount, but I'm going to go through it all with a fine tooth comb because there's not much change in the amount I use month by month so something's not adding up. I know that because I looked at the numbers yesterday, not because of a "feeling" about what I'm using or anything

British Gas have messed me about before last year. They get a lot of weird computer glitches

OK well hold on, this account was set up this winter. The direct debit doesn't vary. It's not reasonable to be raising the direct debit going into summer, when I will be using less energy and they can easily reclaim the amount owed back through the usual payment. Right? I think that's the angle I'm going to go for unless anyone can find some holes to poke in it?

The BG algorithm works out your repayments based on some imaginary end of plan date and it doesn't appear to be very smart. I recently had an email telling me that my gas DD was going up from £95 to £198 pm. I rang them up and argued the toss with them. In the end they transferred the balance of my electric account (in generous credit) to my gas account and left the DD's as they were.
You've got to be persistent with them and there is a certain amount of luck in who you get. The first guy was utterly useless but the second was a lot more interested. Be prepared for a long phone call though.

The BG algorithm works out your repayments based on some imaginary end of plan date and it doesn't appear to be very smart. I recently had an email telling me that my gas DD was going up from £95 to £198 pm. I rang them up and argued the toss with them. In the end they transferred the balance of my electric account (in generous credit) to my gas account and left the DD's as they were.
You've got to be persistent with them and there is a certain amount of luck in who you get. The first guy was utterly useless but the second was a lot more interested. Be prepared for a long phone call though.
My trick is to write into them and refuse to take phone calls. I think it shits them up a bit because it looks like you're putting in the extra bit of effort now so you can take it to the ombudsman later. Usually they will try their luck phoning but I just write back in and reiterate I won't be taking the phone call.

Also thanks, I think you're completely right on what the underlying algorithm issue is, this is a helpful pointer

Also thanks, I think you're completely right on what the underlying algorithm issue is, this is a helpful pointer

It's not too difficult to work out what it should be, all you need is what you have used of each fuel over the last 12 months, multiply by the current unit cost for each. Likewise multiply the current standing charges for each by 365 days, total all those figures together, add 5% Vat and divide by 12 months, and that will be about the amount you should be paying.

I am now having a game with EDF, I tired to lower the DD on my mother's account, because the bungalow is empty, and very little energy is being used, heating is on very low to stop it getting damp and hasn't come on since early this month - it'll get used for hot water when it comes to cleaning the place, and the only electric that will be used is for the loft light when I am clearing that, and a radio whenever I am over there.

I explained this in the comment box on their website, they ignored that and I just got a auto-reply saying they can't do it. So, I e-mailed a complaint with the above information and asked that a human being actually looks at the lack of usage in recent months, and got the same auto-reply. :facepalm:

I am now going to escalate it and threaten to take it to the ombudsman, because this sort of thing just pisses me off, plus they have to pay the ombudsman's costs and I'll probably pick-up another goodwill payment too, happy days. :)

I didn't get around to escalating it after posting that, I was struggling with the will to live in dealing with these fucking energy companies. Anyway, everything is now switched off, and I got a notice from these clowns saying they are having trouble communicating with her smart meters, which are not reporting any usage, so they will estimate her next 6 monthly bill, due on 19th May.

This, of course, was like a red rag to a bull, so last week I fired off a complaint and giving 8 weeks notice of taking it to the ombudsman, and got a response yesterday, this is my reply -

Dear [fucking idiot],

This is beyond a joke, and your claim of 'I believe I’ve taken all the actions and done everything to resolve your issue' is complete nonsense, have you actually read the contents of my last e-mails?

The property is currently empty, my mother is now in a care home, the electric & the gas boiler has been switched off - THERE IS NO ELECTRIC OR GAS BEING USED, this is why the smart meters have ceased reporting usage!

I asked for the DD to be reduced to just cover the standing charges and any credit to be refunded, and you just reduced the DD to £150 and think you have resolved the matter, that is frankly insulting.

The DD needs reducing to £25pm, and all credit needs to be refunded in order to resolve this complaint, otherwise it will go to the ombudsman.

Plus, I'll take great pleasure in involving Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert, with the story that EDF continues to raid funds from a pensioner's bank account, funds that are required to pay towards her dementia care home costs, I am sure he would love to run with that story.

If resolving this is above your pay scale, I suggest you escalate up to someone that can deal with it, because I am damn sure your senior managers will not be happy if/when the proverbial hits the fan.

I am not impressed at all, and I await your speedy reply.

Regards,
cupid_stunt

I decided against sending the first two drafts, as on balance it needed toning down a bit, OK, a lot! :D

Last edited:
I didn't get around to escalating it after posting that, I was struggling with the will to live in dealing with these fucking energy companies. Anyway, everything is now switched off, and I got a notice from these clowns saying they are having trouble communicating with her smart meters, which are not reporting any usage, so they will estimate her next 6 monthly bill, due on 19th May.

This, of course, was like a red rag to a bull, so last week I fired off a complaint and giving 8 weeks notice of taking it to the ombudsman, and got a response yesterday, this is my reply -

Dear [fucking idiot],

This is beyond a joke, and your claim of 'I believe I’ve taken all the actions and done everything to resolve your issue' is complete nonsense, have you actually read the contents of my last e-mails?

The property is currently empty, my mother is now in a care home, the electric & the gas boiler has been switched off - THERE IS NO ELECTRIC OR GAS BEING USED, this is why the smart meters have ceased reporting usage!

I asked for the DD to be reduced to just cover the standing charges and any credit to be refunded, and you just reduced the DD to £150 and think you have resolved the matter, that is frankly insulting.

The DD needs reducing to £25pm, and all credit needs to be refunded in order to resolve this complaint, otherwise it will go to the ombudsman.

Plus, I'll take great pleasure in involving Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert, with the story that EDF continues to raid funds from a pensioner's bank account, funds that a required to pay towards her dementia care home costs, I am sure he would love to run with that story.

If resolving this is above your pay scale, I suggest you escalate up to someone that can deal with it, because I am damn sure your senior managers will not be happy if/when the proverbial hits the fan.

I am not impressed at all, and I await your speedy reply.

Regards,
cupid_stunt

I decided against sending the first two drafts, as on balance it needed toning down a bit, OK, a lot! :D
Good letter, perhaps add a paragraph about your time that is used in replying to their mistakes (or is it attempts to receive money by deliberately misunderstanding?) and how you intend to bill them for that.

The first daft started with - when I put in an official complaint and ask for it to be escalated, I expect a reply from a organ grinder, not one of their monkeys. :D

But, then I noticed the name at the bottom of their e-mail, and thought fucking hell, that's got to go. :bigeyes:

That e-mail I sent to EDF yesterday [post #3765 above] seems to have freaked them out and caused them to take some action, which doesn't actually make much sense.

Mother is on six-monthly billing, with the next one due on the 19th May, apparently they normally refund any credit over £150 at this point.

So, I've asked for the DD to be decreased to £25pm just to cover standing charges, and a full refund of the current balance.

Yesterday evening I got two auto-generated e-mails one advising they have deceased the DD to just £6pm, and another saying the latest bill is available to view, it's dated yesterday, and that shows a credit of £785.30, but nothing about a refund. 🤷‍♂️

However, it is still showing the next bill is due on 19th May, so I am guessing that will then show a refund of the credit amount over £150, that credit will in turn pay the standing charges for the next 6 months (with a final refund when the bungalow is sold), but as standing charges based on a 31 day month only comes to £24. 84 inc. VAT per month, I am at a lost where the DD of £6pm comes into it.

I think I'll wait and see what happens after the 19th May before bothering to do anything else, knowing my luck they will make the refund and then stick the DD back up again, OVO style. :D

I've just received this from EDF.

Thank you for your email dated 15.05.2023. Sorry for the delay in response.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, please do not worry I am reopening the complaint on your account with reference number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I understand your concern that your usage is nil, so I would suggest you to change your payment mode to Direct Debit Whole Amount Monthly in which you will receive bills every months and you will only pay for what you use, and since your usage will be nil you will only be paying for the standing charges as you have wanted.

Please let us know what action do you want us to take on your account for Direct debit on the account.

Please feel free to write back to us if I have missed anything and should you have any further queries related to your account.

My simple reply is...

Good God, this is nothing but complete gibberish, go find a grown-up senior manger to respond to me and negotiate compensation for the stress that EDF has/is causing me.

It's like dealing with a bunch of muppets.

The clock is ticking on this complaint being escalated to the ombudsman

Enough, is enough. :D

You clearly haven't read the posts above describing the situation.

Well I have. I haven’t gone back and reread it.

If you do what they suggest then you probably won’t be charged anything on the Direct Debit.

If you take a refund you will just pay the standing charge.

I’m not sure if the standing charge is payable or not.

Well I have. I haven’t gone back and reread it.

If you do what they suggest then you probably won’t be charged anything on the Direct Debit.

If you take a refund you will just pay the standing charge.

I’m not sure if the standing charge is payable or not.

Mate, this has being going on & off since March, and all I asked is for them to adjust the DD & refund the credit balance.

Now they are suggesting I do their job for them, which I can't. mother was on some sort of special tariff, originally set-up by Age Concern, hence the six monthly billing, this latest e-mail suggests I need to change the account to monthly billing/DD, which isn't an option on their shitty website, because it will not allow me to change her tariff/billing options without contacting them, it's just a typical energy supplier merry-go-round, which I'll continue to ride, until I get it resolved and compensation for their fuckwittey.

And, these weird e-mails are clearly coming from outsourced customer services centers aboard, which boils my piss TBH, I am totally against exporting jobs like this, especially when they are clearly incapable of actually offering even a basic level of customer service.

Mate, this has being going on & off since March, and all I asked is for them to adjust the DD & refund the credit balance.

Now they are suggesting I do their job for them, which I can't. mother was on some sort of special tariff, originally set-up by Age Concern, hence the six monthly billing, this latest e-mail suggests I need to change the account to monthly billing/DD, which isn't an option on their shitty website, because it will not allow me to change her tariff/billing options without contacting them, it's just a typical energy supplier merry-go-round, which I'll continue to ride, until I get it resolved and compensation for their fuckwittey.

And, these weird e-mails are clearly coming from outsourced customer services centers aboard, which boils my piss TBH, I am totally against exporting jobs like this, especially when they are clearly incapable of actually offering even a basic level of customer service.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom