Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

There's a debit of c. £300 on the account, so I think higher DD is to pay that off too, plus I would imagine the higher DD involves rebasing the annual estimate. Doing the maths, 12 x £330 is about the annual estimate + the debit. Still something of a shock...

Not sure how I would check if they had got it right? Do usage calculations from meters myself rather than running it through the algorithms they have on their website?

My annual estimate for dual fuel is £3,300 - i.e. more than the annual 'average' of £2,500, but I would expect it to be as we are a 1930s semi with 2 adults and 2 small kids (we do a lot of washing and tumble drying and have dehumidifiers on).

Going from £90 to £300pm just seems a big jump if you have have only clocked up a £300 debt over the last six months. The price cap Apr-Oct 2022 was around £2k and it's forecast to be back to around that amount from July this year, so it's only been 9 months at the £2.5k price guarantee, and that difference was basically covered by the government grant.

So, basically it's been around £2k for the whole of the last 12 months, and should be for the next 12 months, so to me they want you to clear the £300 and prevent it happening next winter, which is 2 x £300, i.e. a £50pm increase, not £210pm, something just doesn't add up with the information you have posted, possibly you had a massive credit with them this time last year?

It sounds to me like the £90 was wildly wrong and that's why the increase is so big. I was paying around that (3 bed semi, two adults) before all the price rises happened. And it doubled, before reducing to £140 thanks to efficiency measures.

It sounds to me like the £90 was wildly wrong and that's why the increase is so big. I was paying around that (3 bed semi, two adults) before all the price rises happened. And it doubled, before reducing to £140 thanks to efficiency measures.

The £90 could have been wildly wrong, but only a debt of £300 has been built up. :hmm:

Plus, yours doubled, here it's more than tripling.

I had this target to reduce my gas use by half, without leaving myself feeling cold, and I had doubts at various points that I would hit it, but I did.

1.png

If I had used what I did last year it would have cost about £775, so I set a maximum target of £388, and I only used £373.51 inc. VAT, so less than the £400 in government support.

The new boiler was supposed to save me 'up to 35%', it saved me a lot more than that on hot water, but that's minimal use compared to heating, it was a lower saving on the heating side during the coldest months, overall I reckon it saved me around 20-25% on its own. Plus another estimated 5% by being able adjust the flow-rate, that was set to 70c when installed, during the worst cold snap in December I turned it back up to 70c on the 3 or 4 days when it remained at zero or below outside during the daytime, in the range of 60-65c during the rest of the cold snap periods, and for much of the time it's been set to just 55c.

The other 20-25% was down to me putting on extra layers and wearing fingerless gloves if it dropped below 17c indoors, and thanks to the smart meter I was able to spot the best way to heat, and against the general advice to keep it on at your target temperature when you are home, it turned out cheaper to heat slightly above that and let it drop slightly below it, then give it another blast, this was mainly because I noticed on average it cost around 70-75p to lift the temperature by 1c, and only about 30-35p per 1c thereafter.

My target temperature was 17c, that's 1c lower than I used to aim for, heating it to 18c or occasionally 19c, letting it to drop to 16c was fine before another blast, but by 15c the finger tips started to feel cold, so I only occasionally let it to do so if it was near to bedtime and it would have been a waste to have another blast of heating so late.

I've also became more aware of the passive solar effect, something I hadn't really thought about before, I was surprised that even on fairly cold days, if there was strong sunshine it would actually heat up the single-glazed conservatory thing over a period of a few hours, so opening the living room patio door and allowing that heat to pour in whilst I made a cup of tea helped to save gas by raising the indoor temperature by up to 1c at a time.

I know some people think I got obsessive about it, but it didn't actually take much effort or time to work out how best to use the new boiler in conjunction with how the bungalow behaves with regards to heat loss depending on outdoor temperatures, and it has certainly been an interesting experiment, with a great outcome for both the environment and my bank balance.

Your diligence must already saved me over £80 thanks to the new fridge - so it's half paid-for even if I give it away - and it's improved my diet and saved food wastage. :) :thumbs:
And 260kwh worth of CO2.

I'm trying to wean myself off meter reading, but I just did it and Octopus allowed me to reduce my credit by £200 :)

Looks like Eon have finally caught up with me after underbilling me since I moved in. They called earlier but unfortunately the call terminated midway through our chat

I owe approx £350 and was about to tell them that as they messed me around for 10 months they can take it back over 10 months but they offered 18 months and to raise a complaint for me. Presume sticking to a script as they were readily offering this and quite apologetic

Wonder what my chances are with the ombudsman? cupid_stunt do I need to exhaust their complaint process first before raising with the ombudsman

Looks like Eon have finally caught up with me after underbilling me since I moved in. They called earlier but unfortunately the call terminated midway through our chat

I owe approx £350 and was about to tell them that as they messed me around for 10 months they can take it back over 10 months but they offered 18 months and to raise a complaint for me. Presume sticking to a script as they were readily offering this and quite apologetic

Wonder what my chances are with the ombudsman? cupid_stunt do I need to exhaust their complaint process first before raising with the ombudsman

You have to escalate the complaint and allow them 8 weeks to resolve before making a formal complaint to the ombudsman, but I think you can call them anytime for some general advice.

Cheers, I will see what happens. They hung up on me and then I missed the call back so will wait to see.

They want to set up a new direct debit for me, I have said am not willing to pay more than what my smart meter tells me I’ve used since April 1st (£6) extrapolated to a full month so £47 / month plus the repayment plan amount.

Nice to see you lot economising and saving. My own bill just went UP for March. This is March ONLY.
Obviously February was a short month, but even so. And of course no £67 government payment now.
Total March.jpgBar chart March.png
Anybody know if March 2023 was cold compared to 2022. My gas usage nearly doubled it seems!

Cheers, I will see what happens. They hung up on me and then I missed the call back so will wait to see.

They want to set up a new direct debit for me, I have said am not willing to pay more than what my smart meter tells me I’ve used since April 1st (£6) extrapolated to a full month so £47 / month plus the repayment plan amount.

Latest Eon update.

After billing me incorrectly for 9 months, and then hanging up on me last Wednesday when I called up to arrange a repayment plan.

They’ve now passed my file to a debt collection agency

Well I have given them a piece of my mind. For someone who has been customer facing my entire career I can say from my interactions that Eon clearly see their customers as the scum on their shoe.

A recap:

1. Billed incorrectly since moved in 9 months ago
  2. Have submitted regular meter readings and have a smart meter
  3. Have always paid what the App said I owed
  4. Noticed the App said I owed £347 last week
  5. Eon called me last week, we were discussing the repayment plan when I got cut off and they didn’t call back
  6. The next day Eon pass to the debt collector agency, despite me having engaged with repayment.
Outcome of my 40 minute call with them today

1. Eon gave me £30 credit against my bill. I thought the agent said £50 but struggled to understand due to her (SA) accent. I argued for 20% (£75)
  2. The direct debit they offered me going forward was £200 / month. I refused this and insisted on a variable DD as my smart meter says I’ve used just £21 so far this month. Even allowing for VAT I don’t see how they can bill me this month. What’s the point of a smart meter if I have to pay based on my estimated usage compared to my actual?
  3. I decided to pay the remaining balance as this was the only way I could switch to a variable direct debit.
  4. While I argued that I only have an outstanding balance due to Eon being incompetent and not billing me right they weren’t budging on this
  5. Internal complaint to be raised and a callback from a manager to be received later.
Perhaps I could have got more from them but I only have so much time and mental bandwidth to devote to these wankers and it allows me to move on.

What I could really do with is finding one of those protesting French farmers and get them to hose a tanker of sewage into Eons corporate headquarters.

Well I have given them a piece of my mind. For someone who has been customer facing my entire career I can say from my interactions that Eon clearly see their customers as the scum on their shoe.

A recap:

1. Billed incorrectly since moved in 9 months ago
  2. Have submitted regular meter readings and have a smart meter
  3. Have always paid what the App said I owed
  4. Noticed the App said I owed £347 last week
  5. Eon called me last week, we were discussing the repayment plan when I got cut off and they didn’t call back
  6. The next day Eon pass to the debt collector agency, despite me having engaged with repayment.
Outcome of my 40 minute call with them today

1. Eon gave me £30 credit against my bill. I thought the agent said £50 but struggled to understand due to her (SA) accent. I argued for 20% (£75)
  2. The direct debit they offered me going forward was £200 / month. I refused this and insisted on a variable DD as my smart meter says I’ve used just £21 so far this month. Even allowing for VAT I don’t see how they can bill me this month. What’s the point of a smart meter if I have to pay based on my estimated usage compared to my actual?
  3. I decided to pay the remaining balance as this was the only way I could switch to a variable direct debit.
  4. While I argued that I only have an outstanding balance due to Eon being incompetent and not billing me right they weren’t budging on this
  5. Internal complaint to be raised and a callback from a manager to be received later.
Perhaps I could have got more from them but I only have so much time and mental bandwidth to devote to these wankers and it allows me to move on.

What I could really do with is finding one of those protesting French farmers and get them to hose a tanker of sewage into Eons corporate headquarters.
Apparently they take neither monthly nor quarterly direct debits:
"At E.ON Next we’re doing things differently to ensure our customers are at the heart of everything we do. We know life can quickly change and no one wants to have an unexpected high bill. So by switching your billing to monthly it allows you to keep an eye on your account, helping to avoid the unexpected."

Why not change to a supplier who takes the amount of the bill - and doesn't pay a host of "estimators" to guess what your monthly payment should be in case there is an El Nino coming up?

Mind you if you owe eon money they won't let you switch.

Has the vouchers/credit scheme now ended? I was under the belief that it had been extended but I may have misunderstood?

Has the vouchers/credit scheme now ended? I was under the belief that it had been extended but I may have misunderstood?

The monthly £66/67 support towards heating was only for the months of Oct-Mar, when heating is used the most.

The government's energy price guarantee (EPG) of £2,500 was due to increase to £3,000 this month, but it remained at £2.500 because the OFGEM price cap dropped by 23% in April to £3,280 down from £4,279, this reduces the cost of the EPG to the government, as they basically pay the different between their EPG and OFGEM's price cap.

One week on, still no manager call back from Eon. Think that adds another layer to my complaint which I will make in writing over the next few days

Had a chat with my neighbour earlier. He's the one who usually likes to walk around the house in t-shirt and shorts even in winter. Despite him having the heating turned down for the last 2 years he tells me his gas bills have been £600 per month this winter. :eek:

When I move - please let it be by the end of next year - it will be to a house that's actually fit for human habitation - but I'm still not going to heat the place - even if I find I have free firewood available.
I've spent less than £100 in total over the 4 1/2 months on ELECTRIC heating and I know I could do a lot better by using electrically heated clothing - the challenge is to get the heat inside the clothing when you're layered-up.

I will doubtless have to make allowances should I have winter guests ...

Any British Gas users know how to check whether you're in debit/credit using the website? Seriously side eyeing my bill

Any British Gas users know how to check whether you're in debit/credit using the website? Seriously side eyeing my bill
Login to the website
you should see your accounts (1 for Gas, 1 for Electricity)
Click view accounts on the one you want
Click View Bills & Payments on the Quick Link menu to the right
you should then see 2 boxes on the top showing DD's on the left and balance (ie credit/debit) on the right underneath this are 2 tabs Bills and Payment History (bills are downloadable as PDF's)

When I log on I see this. Click on View your bills and payments.

1682074005882.png

Then I see this.

1682073976049.png
ETA as already explained. :facepalm:

I don't understand my bills. I was paying £69/month. They put it up to £79/ month. But I'm getting £67/ month paid into my bank account. So I'm only paying £12 a month. I'm quids in so far! I have reduced my central heating use but still.... I won't be able to cut down so much on what I use now that my central heating would be off anyway and I'm only £1 in credit and the gov scheme is ending (?) so I guess they'll put my DD up soon... Maybe.

I don't understand my bills. I was paying £69/month. They put it up to £79/ month. But I'm getting £67/ month paid into my bank account. So I'm only paying £12 a month. I'm quids in so far! I have reduced my central heating use but still.... I won't be able to cut down so much on what I use now that my central heating would be off anyway and I'm only £1 in credit and the gov scheme is ending (?) so I guess they'll put my DD up soon... Maybe.

The last £67 payment was in March.

Had a letter come from the debt collection agency via Eon about an amount I owe them due to them billing me incorrectly.

Am ignoring the letter as I paid up last week and it’s dated the same date as the email I received. Most incompetent company I have dealt with.

When I move - please let it be by the end of next year - it will be to a house that's actually fit for human habitation - but I'm still not going to heat the place - even if I find I have free firewood available.
I've spent less than £100 in total over the 4 1/2 months on ELECTRIC heating and I know I could do a lot better by using electrically heated clothing - the challenge is to get the heat inside the clothing when you're layered-up.

I will doubtless have to make allowances should I have winter guests ...
Off-topic for this thread, but I learned during my France trip that anyone wanting a residence permit (titre de sejour) has to demonstrate a non-trivial level of proficiency in French. I guess you're already on top of that, but just in case you weren't...

(My - basic - French would not be good enough: you have to be at about the level of the average 12 edit: 10-11 year old French person :eek:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom