Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Murder and rape on Moorlands Estate/ Somerleyton Road, Brixton

There was something definitely dark in the air yesterday. My 14 year old son and his mate got attacked by a mob of up to 15 youths yesterday at about 3.45pm on Streatham High Rd. I'm still in shock, if it wasn't for the intervention of a guy and his son who stepped in pulled the youths off. Then rang me and took my son and his friend to the Police Station it would have been a lot worse. My son never really goes out anymore, I fear for this generation of kids. We have to do something, it can't go on...:(
How very brave of the people who helped him, and thank fuck they were there. Hope your boy is dealing with it OK.

There was something definitely dark in the air yesterday. My 14 year old son and his mate got attacked by a mob of up to 15 youths yesterday at about 3.45pm on Streatham High Rd. I'm still in shock, if it wasn't for the intervention of a guy and his son who stepped in pulled the youths off. Then rang me and took my son and his friend to the Police Station it would have been a lot worse. My son never really goes out anymore, I fear for this generation of kids. We have to do something, it can't go on...:(
I'm so sorry to hear your son had that awful experience, it must have been absolutely terrifying for him and his friend. Thank goodness for the man and his son, there's not many who'd have the courage to do what they did. I do believe that there's a new gang emerging in the Streatham area, and that they might be responsible for a few attacks recently. I'm loathe to write this stuff, as it can increase fear and anxiety, however, as a parent, you will want to know what's going on out there. My son just missed the gang stuff, but he did get robbed lots. In hindsight, I wish I had upped sticks and gone back home where he could have lived without the fear of these mean streets. It can be so difficult for youngsters growing up in this environment. And even most of the kids involved in gangs are depressed and see no future for themselves (not that that excuses the harm they cause others). I hope your son gets support within his school to deal with what has happened. I work with young people locally, if you want to pick my brain about anything, PM me.

How utterly shocking and sickening.
All of it.

I am so full of hope and resolve for my home area. I love Brixton and the wider area, but sometimes I wonder if I am being selfish bringing up my family here.

How utterly shocking and sickening.
All of it.

I am so full of hope and resolve for my home area. I love Brixton and the wider area, but sometimes I wonder if I am being selfish bringing up my family here.

Definitely not being selfish. If people with families leave then the scumbags and gangsters would have won.

I notice the rape didnt make it to the BBC news on Brixton area.

Sometimes I wonder if that isn't a good thing. Do these scumbags feel important to make the news? In their addled horrible heads does their 'hood (I'm sick of all this gangsta-aping slang) being on the news in crime reports confirm it's reputation for being beyond the law and in their control? Does it glamourise it? News coverage of this stuff certainly puts people from outside off living here. Decent family and / or community minded folk who look to somewhere slightly more affordable that has good transport, parks, facilities.

Sometimes I wonder if that isn't a good thing. Do these scumbags feel important to make the news? In their addled horrible heads does their 'hood (I'm sick of all this gangsta-aping slang) being on the news in crime reports confirm it's reputation for being beyond the law and in their control? Does it glamourise it? News coverage of this stuff certainly puts people from outside off living here. Decent family and / or community minded folk who look to somewhere slightly more affordable that has good transport, parks, facilities.

We dont know yet know the circumstances of the rape. It could have been done by someone not connected with Brixton for all anyone knows.

I commented because rape is a serious crime but this was not reported on the mainstream news. Must happen in other areas but also not be reported in news so I wonder how prevalent it is.

I notice the rape didnt make it to the BBC news on Brixton area.

I wouldn't want to draw any media-bashing conclusion from that. We can't know whether the young woman who was the victim of this incident was able/willing to say sufficient about it for the police to define it as a rape or sexual assault.

BTW Although Lambeth's 'Know the Difference' aimed at young men has been getting the media coverage recently, I thought there was an ongoing South London project to support young women who were victims of rape/sexual assault but reluctant to press charges because of potential come-back/peer pressure. Does anyone have details/link they can post as a public service announcement?

We dont know yet know the circumstances of the rape. It could have been done by someone not connected with Brixton for all anyone knows.

I commented because rape is a serious crime but this was not reported on the mainstream news. Must happen in other areas but also not be reported in news so I wonder how prevalent it is.
i don't think there's any onus on the media to report everything of which they're aware.

I wouldn't want to draw any media-bashing conclusion from that. We can't know whether the young woman who was the victim of this incident was able/willing to say sufficient about it for the police to define it as a rape or sexual assault.

BTW Although Lambeth's 'Know the Difference' aimed at young men has been getting the media coverage recently, I thought there was an ongoing South London project to support young women who were victims of rape/sexual assault but reluctant to press charges because of potential come-back/peer pressure. Does anyone have details/link they can post as a public service announcement?

On this page of your link there is support group called "Haven". Sounds a bit like what u mean.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/KnowTheDifference/SupportInformationAdvice.htm

Thx. The Camberwell Haven does great work to support all victims of rape/sexual assault.
But I had also thought (mistakenly?) that there was an initative aimed at vulnerable young women in particular???

Yes, sorry, I was carelessly replying to your post as if the word 'rape' was not there and it was about the whole recent slew of violence, rape and stabbings. Actually given the rape statistics it would seem that the majority of rape cases do not appear on the news.

Here's more details about the murder victim:
Innocent Brixton stab victim named as Kwame Ofosu-Asare
The 17-year-old sustained multiple stab wounds in the attack on Moorlands Estate, dying en-route to hospital in an ambulance.
article-1330961811132-12073E92000005DC-417052_223x335.jpg

The A-level student, described as a budding actor and a talented footballer, was on his way to a friend's relative's house when he was attacked by two young black men.
While the friend he was with managed to escape by scaling an 8ft fence, the attackers set upon Kwame, stabbing him multiple times.
The Metropolitan police said Kwame was an innocent bystander with no suspected links to his attackers.
'Kwame was an innocent young man enjoying himself on a Friday afternoon when he was pursued and attacked by two knifemen,' said Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane.
Read more:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/892076-innocent-brixton-stab-victim-named-as-kwame-ofosu-asare#ixzz1oGGsWXrb​

I've always felt my son was more at risk when he was out and about than my daughters ever were. Now he's an adult I'm less worried. This is an awful time to be a teenage boy.

Here's more details about the murder victim:

Why does it say he was 'attacked by two young black men'. Surely 'two young men' would have sufficed. The guy's black himself. What relevance does the race of his attackers have?

Metro. Jesus christ.

I assume, ShootSniffFuckuUpTheRingholeStabBludgeon or whatever the fuck your name is, this is the 'newspaper' you work for?

Er.... no. It's unhelpful for a very fragile community. Imo.
It's most likely the only info they have on them right now, and I'm pretty sure the community would rather have some info than none at all.

Speaking as a resident, I'd certainly rather know as much as possible.

Well, yeh, im also a local resident. I also witnessed the frankly horrendous sight of brixton being beaten up in the summer, being sent home from work in order to look after my house and having the weeeeeird experience of walking past young black guys with both parties not looking at each other/averting our eyes. Such bulllshit as the Metro fuelled that and it aint helpful....

What were the perps wearing? Why isnt that reported? Why just their colour?

Back
Top Bottom