Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

Spurn Head lighthouse

I went down there last year after getting some work done on the car in Hull. It was a bit strange driving through the sand dunes to get there and I kept seeing traces of railway tracks on the road, so I assume there was a line down there at some point?

I went down there last year after getting some work done on the car in Hull. It was a bit strange driving through the sand dunes to get there and I kept seeing traces of railway tracks on the road, so I assume there was a line down there at some point?

Yes. It was a military railway, supplying the gun emplacements and so on at the end. There are all manner of half-buried earthworks down there, dating from the eighteenth century to World War II. Of course, Spurn Head has shifted over time - and been breached a few times - so the railway now criss-crosses the point in rather surreal fashion. The lighthouse was decommissioned in the 1980s, but the local paper was running a story last week about it being turned into some kind of visitor attraction. :cool:

Spurn Head has shifted over time - and been breached a few times - so the railway now criss-crosses the point in rather surreal fashion.

I thought so, I noticed that the road seemed to diverge off a few times. I'd like to go back for a proper look round sometime, when I was there it was pissing down and was starting to get dark by the time I'd eaten the chips I'd bought on the way :D

I thought so, I noticed that the road seemed to diverge off a few times. I'd like to go back for a proper look round sometime, when I was there it was pissing down and was starting to get dark by the time I'd eaten the chips I'd bought on the way :D

Spurn Head is well worth a walk, although it's longer than you think and quite a hike to the end! I'll post a couple more pics I took on the same walk as the lighthouse one...

IMAG4016a.jpg

Looking out over the Humber

20130616_224319.jpg

Lancaster. Yesterday.

Loev the bottom one, I think the train driver is clocking you :D

Blyth's not the kind of area you want to go wandering about with a big arsed camera :hmm:

:D

That's not one of mine, but I did have a few trips up there when that was running. It was a bit unusual, so there was often quite a few people hanging round with cameras. /anorak

I had a better shot (similar, but taken in the 80s) in mind, but it doesn't seem to be googleable

Back
Top Bottom