Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

I love it, but I have to admit I shot it from the hip :oops:

But it is almost perfect - cuts out the torso so you don't worry about what the person looks like, and focuses on the fact they are not playing their guitar, the wires, the boots and ephemera like the water bottle, and the money collection. And the light on the sets is good too. Even if this was all unintentional, it is a good shot! :)

4338976482_b71619fac5_z.jpg

Hasty Lane, recently demolished to make way for an airport freight shed.

What a shame- so few thatched houses in the North- presume they weren't listed?

Rag pudding is a kind of suet pudding AFAIK.

As for tripe, again ... NO.

It is my mission to hunt out tripe dispensaries in any place I visit, in the hope that you'll eventually be converted to the joys of stomach linings! :D

I admit I almost jumped for joy when I saw that shop - it is so archetypical of the North. :)

You're right - rag pudding is of that ilk - sounds a bit odd, and although it says it comes from Oldham, I don't remember ever seeing it on sale there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_pudding

The pic above is in Askham.

Where I live has a similar village green but I the cross is considered the centre I think.

I suppose villages mainly followed a certain design that was popular, unless the terrain dictated otherwise. Or perhaps the design is emergent. I don't know.

Anyway, it was the terrain and sparse-ness of your first pic that reminded me of Glasshouses.

Your village looks nice :cool:

I suppose villages mainly followed a certain design that was popular, unless the terrain dictated otherwise. Or perhaps the design is emergent. I don't know.

Anyway, it was the terrain and sparse-ness of your first pic that reminded me of Glasshouses.

Your village looks nice :cool:

I've had a quick look at wiki and they have this brief page about village layouts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleated_village

And Firky's village does look nice. :)

20130705_122620.jpg
Been to Lancaster uni- with a decent camera, some photographic knowledge and a decently behaved child, so much more could have been achieved! Lovely contrasts between some quite brutalist architecture, the blue skies and moorland beyond. Lots of lines everywhere. Also the best charity shop in the word :cool:

Back
Top Bottom