Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

Fez909 could you get some of the kirkstall lights and burley liberal club if you go out again. They were both a big part of the community until recent times.

3528736_c367dd83.jpg
?

This was a slightly odd plaque on these houses - the row of houses formed a dog leg, half along the main road and half away from it. For some reason it was marked with this plaque, presumably when they were built. The houses are in an odd location away from the rest of Ashton and more in the industrial area, so maybe the whole area was farmland at the time of construction.

525.jpg

In Ashton now, and here are some random shots of the town centre.

Ugly BT building:

529.jpg

Underpass, surprisingly graffiti-free:

530.jpg

I like the tiling on this pub. Note the mobility scooter by the side - someone is going to be drinking and driving tonight I suspect:

531.jpg

On the left is a bar, which looks about as down at heel as you can get. On the right is one of weirdly many computer repair shops in Ashton. There are several of them dotted around the town:

532.jpg

Empty pub:

533.jpg

I've not seen a branch of Yorkshire Bank for years! They are obviously an invasion force from across them there hills. Sadly I remember them being called the Yorkshire Penny Bank, which shows my age. But it really should be called the Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire! Bank, in honour of the mock motorway sign. :D

534.jpg

2851836_b9d72a42.jpg

Approach to Hornbeam Park station
The railway history of the Harrogate area is very complicated and there are a large number of closed lines in and around the town. Hornbeam Park station on the line from Harrogate to Leeds only opened in 1992, although the line dates from 1848. This view looks down the approach to the Harrogate-bound platform from Hookstone Road. Although the station is only 20 years old it has the staggered layout that is common in much older stations. The Harrogate-bound platform is on the north side of Hookstone Road whilst the Leeds-bound platform is on the south side.

2851836_b9d72a42.jpg

Approach to Hornbeam Park station
The railway history of the Harrogate area is very complicated and there are a large number of closed lines in and around the town. Hornbeam Park station on the line from Harrogate to Leeds only opened in 1992, although the line dates from 1848. This view looks down the approach to the Harrogate-bound platform from Hookstone Road. Although the station is only 20 years old it has the staggered layout that is common in much older stations. The Harrogate-bound platform is on the north side of Hookstone Road whilst the Leeds-bound platform is on the south side.

I got stuck at one of the stations on this line after missing my stop. I ended up talking to, and sharing a flask with, the signal man all night. It was literally in the middle of nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom