Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

069517_e45d8277.jpg

Weir and Bridge
A fast flowing weir just before the Spine Road Bridge.

208568_e9d2bc92.jpg

Southroyd Park, Pudsey
These houses were built by the local authority between the two World Wars as part of a small housing estate. They are two-up, two-down dwellings with a coal store and bathroom off the kitchen; the sitting room was heated by a cast iron cooking range with back boiler; the lavatory was upstairs. At times the kitchen used to "run wick wi' black-clocks". No housing development is shown here on the 1940s OS map. Here we are at the southernmost extent of Pudsey's built-up-area quite close to Fulneck Moravian village and school.

Undercliffe sounds good. Might check it out if I'm ever in Bradford (which is rarely :D )

I went to an ace cemetery in Cuba, but it's neither mundane nor in the North so I won't post any more about it here (look it up though! Havana's Necropolis :cool: )
I am having a bradford nostalgia jaunt soon, and my DoE award centre was opposite undercliffe cemetery.want to join me? :cool:

Best cemetery ever is Glasgow's Necropolis. The name itself is enough to make me swoon. Awesome overgrown Jewish one in Stamford Hill/Stoke Newington (or there used to be 10 years ago-might be a Waitrose now)

Finished my mundane trek for today, and am sat in the bar at Stalybridge station having a beer and resting my feet before the train home.

Got some good pics, and one specially for Roadkill

Will post them later on. :)

Finished my mundane trek for today, and am sat in the bar at Stalybridge station having a beer and resting my feet before the train home.

Got some good pics, and one specially for Roadkill

Will post them later on. :)
002164_b0e910e9.jpg

Huddersfield Canal in Stalybridge
The Huddersfield Narrow Canal passing through Stalybridge. This section had been in-filled but was restored and re-opened in 2001.

Some quick observations of the two towns I've been to today. Ashton had the usual empty shops and proliferation of cheap ones, but generally seemed to be bearing up in the economic circumstances.

Stalybridge on the other hand has been badly affected. It seemed that the majority of shops were closed and I did wonder whether I'd forgot the day and travelled there on a Sunday.

As I clearly looked an outsider, taking photos and stopping often to seek out the next mundane view, I attracted the attention of beggars very rapidly. One woman was so extremely nice about asking for money that I felt bad for not helping her. The town really did feel like there just wasn't anything going for it any more.

Sad to see. :(

A few photos taken mainly through the rather grubby windows of my train to London yesterday, and back today.

aIMAG4487.jpg

Spring Bank, on a dull morning.

aIMAG4491.jpg

Mundane 1970s houses just north of the railway line.

aIMAG4495.jpg

A bit of ghost advertising, on the edge of the industrial bit of south-west Hull.

aIMAG4509.jpg

I've found some railway arches!

aIMAG4512.jpg

Light industry.

aIMAG4517.jpg

The buildings with the odd-shaped chimneys are part of a caravan factory now. Originally there were load of buildings like that in the streets off the Hessle Road: they were fish smokehouses.

aIMAG4604.jpg

A bit more light industry.

aIMAG4611.jpg

Headquarters of Shipham Valves, a long-established Hull company.

aIMAG4613.jpg

New housing along (I think) Eastbourne Street; part of the regeneration of what used to be a seriously nasty part of the city.

aIMAG4615.jpg

The St George's Hotel, which closed down a couple of months back.

aIMAG4616.jpg

Town end of Selby Street. I've always liked the ship motif on the wall of the house in the middle.

aIMAG4630.jpg

Hull Royal Infirmary complex.

aIMAG4642.jpg

The building to let used to be Silhouette's Nightclub, scene of a lot of my gay-scene gallivanting in years gone by. Now long superseded by places in town where you don't stick to the carpet, and which don't turn the same blind eye to drugs and goings on in the toilets. I miss dear old Sils.

And a few train-window shots of the Selby area:

bIMAG4560.jpg

Level crossing at Eastrington.

bIMAG4561.jpg

A bit of typical East Yorkshire countryside.

bIMAG4564.jpg

Barlby signal box, on the edge of Selby.

bIMAG4565.jpg

Part of the huge Bocm Pauls plant

bIMAG4566.jpg

And another part, which they're knocking down.

bIMAG4567.jpg

And the west end of the site.

bIMAG4576.jpg

Looking north up the Ouse, from the swing bridge.

bIMAG4577.jpg

Part of the High Street.

I did mean to get some more pics on the way back through today, but the sun was right in the lens and they didn't come out.

Some shots of the buffet bar at Stalybridge station. A lovely little proper pub on the platform, and dates back quite a way. It is full of bits and bobs from history, especially the railways (understandably given its location). Really friendly staff and nice real ale on sale. Without doubt the best station pub I've ever been in. :cool:

Plaque outside:

488.jpg

Case full of bits and bobs:

489.jpg

Nice old clock - probably used for clocking on in its previous life:

490.jpg

General inside shot:

491.jpg

Back
Top Bottom