Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

20130705_124235.jpg

For any Manc-based posters, there are some free events at the old Mayfield Station as part of the Manchester International Festival that offer a rare chance to get inside it for nowt. No booking is required so you just turn up it seems. I'll go along to these and take some pictures if possible.

http://www.mif.co.uk/event/mette-ingvartsen-evaporated-landscapes

http://www.mif.co.uk/event/tino-sehgal-this-variation

Have noted this down- the second one looks especially good.

i took loads of mundanity earlier (including the building that Pickman's model wrongly identified as being part of sheffield uni), but i realised i left my phone charger at my friend's last night, and it's gone flat now :facepalm:

[quoteyour o"Roadkill, post: 12375758, member: 285"]£13.80 for a megarider? Where?! They're nine quid in Hull![/quote]
Think you can go to the fleshpots of kendal etc for that. But if you need a wee you are doomed.

Off into Leeds City Centre now to see if there's anything mundane.

The uni campus has lots of boring buildings - the brutalist 60s/70s concrete parts like Earth Sciences, Dental/medical and the like. But if the weather there is as nice as here it might look ok, rather than proper drab as it used to in gloomy weather.

£13.80 for a megarider? Where?! They're nine quid in Hull!

Just checked the prices in Manchester - £12 for a Stagecoach megarider (south of Greater Manchester), and £13 for the equivalent on First Bus (north of Greater Manchester). The discrepancy used to be larger - stagecoach ones were about eight quid a couple of years back, and first bus the same or more expensive.

Count yourself lucky in Hull!

Tom A and any other manc posters.

We could arrange to have a mini meet-up if some of us are going to one of these. There are quite a few dates for the second one so plenty of flexibility. There's the added bonus of there being a nice real ale pub down the road - the Bulls Head:

View attachment 35356

I'm going to see Massive Attack and Mogwai as part of the MIF, but those are at other venues. However considering both those events are free I could be very tempted :)

I'm going to see Massive Attack and Mogwai as part of the MIF, but those are at other venues. However considering both those events are free I could be very tempted :)

You can't beat an event where the entrance fee is 'nowt'! :D

And I wasn't even born in Yorkshire!

Edit - I wasn't even born in the county of 'Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire - we're right, you're wrong' ;)

I have been tasked with posting this on this thread.

ETA: photo didn't load. I'm blaming someone other than me.

My new toy has arrived, and as the battery is fully charged I feel duty bound to take it out to play. Got to collect something from the sorting office so will see what I can see on the way. :cool:

And no, of course I haven't read the manual. :D

It is my mission to hunt out tripe dispensaries in any place I visit, in the hope that you'll eventually be converted to the joys of stomach linings! :D

I admit I almost jumped for joy when I saw that shop - it is so archetypical of the North. :)

You're right - rag pudding is of that ilk - sounds a bit odd, and although it says it comes from Oldham, I don't remember ever seeing it on sale there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_pudding

to my knowledge there is one chippy still selling them in Oldham, in Greenacres

You can buy these from a butchers etc in Mossley (and other places I imagine but I've never seen them elsewhere)
Jacksons_Farm_Fayre_Traditional_Beef_Puddings.jpg

the Waggon Inn on High St Uppermill used to do a great Rag pud, chips, peas & gravy - was a regular Sunday Lunch call when we lived down the road in Lees.

You could get the train to Greenfield and it is a 5-10 minute walk from there.

Second Hand Bookshop, Museum, Canal etc

Nice afternoon out as long as it isn't raining sideways of course

Back
Top Bottom