Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

Got some crackers of Leeds, Huddersfield and Shipley after a very nice wander the past couple of days :) Will post later when I find my way home.

I've got some more to post - a mix between crumbly buildings, and graffiti/wall art
in the Northern Quarter.

The sun was cracking the flags today so everywhere looked nice, even the tatty bits. We need cloud and rain to do this properly. :mad:

Edit - but I do like my new toy. :cool:

But I'm knackered so may not post them for a while - I was up till stupid o clock last night, and only got a couple of hours sleep so feel dead on my feet at the moment.

But I did get handed one of my favourite types of leaflets - those religious ones that just go on about scripture which means nothing to an atheist like me, and doesn't actually argue any particular position. Strange things, but I like trying to work out what on earth they are on about. I was however disappointed by the calibre of the middle-aged lady who was handing them out - she was just too happy looking. The other times they have always looked miserable as sin (as it were), which cheers me up for some reason. The last one looked really quite hacked off about something, in her blue anorak outside Boots last year. Weirdly I can still picture her in my head for some odd reason...

to my knowledge there is one chippy still selling them in Oldham, in Greenacres

You can buy these from a butchers etc in Mossley (and other places I imagine but I've never seen them elsewhere)
Jacksons_Farm_Fayre_Traditional_Beef_Puddings.jpg

the Waggon Inn on High St Uppermill used to do a great Rag pud, chips, peas & gravy - was a regular Sunday Lunch call when we lived down the road in Lees.

You could get the train to Greenfield and it is a 5-10 minute walk from there.

Second Hand Bookshop, Museum, Canal etc

Nice afternoon out as long as it isn't raining sideways of course

Cheers. I've not been to Saddleworth for about 4 years now, since I moved out into town, and always liked wandering round there (and up in the hills too). Might pay a visit to see if I can track any down - it does look quite nice, so would be good to try it. :)

I like the use of 'fayre' in a product name - always a sure sign it was made in a light industrial unit in some mundane place, and absolutely nowhere near a farm! :D

Edit - just checked out the postcode, and yup, nowhere near a farm. :D

Martin Mere bird sanctuary:

(in a bit, need to relearn how to shrink the pics so they meet the upload size limit)

I use Photoshop Elements (came bundled with the laptop), and its easy using this package. CTRL+ALT+I is the shortcut for resizing (assuming you don't need to rotate the image first).

3414840_c72f8ab6.jpg
Snowy scene on Pateley Moor
Not the scene one would expect to see on the last day of March. The aftermath of a big snowstorm some eight days previously when huge drifts were formed by 50mph winds. The Nidderdale area was near the eastern edge of the weather system which brought the snow. Less than 10 miles further east in the Ripon area there had been virtually nothing.

What a shame- so few thatched houses in the North- presume they weren't listed?

I think there was one listed building on the street which was spared following a campaign by locals, but it'll be left alone and basically in the middle of a car park. Manchester airport is wholly owned by Greater Manchester Council and the various local authorities surrounding Greater Manchester. The upshot of this is that anything the airport wants to build will pretty much get rubber stamped.

The airport and it's environs are earmarked for one of those incredibly dodgy free enterprise zones where stuff like the minimum wage, health and safety and indeed the entire concept of not treating employees like livestock will be thrown out of the window. This is gonna require a lot of new development, and with that the flattening of more residential areas, woodland, allotments and whatever else might be standing in the way of progress.

I use Photoshop Elements (came bundled with the laptop), and its easy using this package. CTRL+ALT+I is the shortcut for resizing (assuming you don't need to rotate the image first).

I use Linux - no Photoshop for me. I found something that does the job though.

A few of many pictures I took when I decide to embark on a epic walk from Hulme to Castlefield to Smithy Bridge to Hollingworth Lake, via the Rochdale Canal:

*snip*

Bloody hell, that's an epic walk indeed!

I suspect the 'offence' sign was in the underpass of the canal under 111 Piccadilly. A well-known cruising spot - you still see people going down there today. I've walked through a couple of times and it is quite disturbing, given that the canal is right by you and you're enclosed with nowhere to escape. It freaks me out slightly.

Hulme to Hollingworth, the final leg:

HworthUrban16.jpg

HworthUrban17.jpg

Supposedly this is a pretty good ale pub.

HworthUrban18.jpg

Marking of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. The line from Manchester to Rochdale and Leeds via Halifax/Bradford is nearby.

HworthUrban19.jpg

And journey's end - Hollingworth Lake! Took about five and a half hours to get there, great weather too. I spent a few minutes there to have a well deserved rest before heading to Smithy Bridge station to get the train home.

I suspect the 'offence' sign was in the underpass of the canal under 111 Piccadilly. A well-known cruising spot - you still see people going down there today. I've walked through a couple of times and it is quite disturbing, given that the canal is right by you and you're enclosed with nowhere to escape. It freaks me out slightly.

You would be correct. Even I felt a bit nervous walking along that section, and it would certainly not be a stretch I would go down after dark!

Back
Top Bottom