Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

Another mundane knackered mill building - probably ripe for redevelopment into flats at some point. It would be great to have windows that size in a flat. :cool:

88.jpg

The old Ancoats Dispensary, extremely fragile and held up by scaffolding, with large containers of water to act as ballast. There's a campaign to save it as it is quite a local icon historically.

Front:

89.jpg

Back:

120.jpg

Like this? (also from Manchester & worth posting again..):

streetview_zps5de98fc5.jpg

Like this? (also from Manchester & worth posting again..):

streetview_zps5de98fc5.jpg

That follows - it is that sort of area! I love the way she seems to holding a fag in her other hand while doing the deed! :D

The road that runs under the bridge with the white arches is really busy, so a bit close to passing traffic and buses full of bored people looking out the window.

The lewd conduct I had in mind was far worse than that! ;)

This is the old Labour Exchange on Aytoun Street, and has been disintegrating like this for donkeys years. Oddly, it is directly opposite the Minshull Street Crown Court which is a lovely building, so a bit of a local eyesore right in the city centre.

Very 1950s civic architecture though.

105.jpg

106.jpg

I thought that was the back of the old Odeon near St Peters Square.

Little known fact: behind the Odeon there used to be a box that looked like an electricity box or ventilation shaft. It was actually one of the entrances to a tunnel underneath Manchester built as a nuclear bunker / hardened communications system during the Cold War.

This is it

Guardian_Exchange.jpg

Also, whilst I am at it, it is fairly easy to get right to the top of the tower of The Palace Hotel. My friend used to work there and knew how to get up there, we went up and smoked a spliff up there :cool:

that's a grand building. hope someone does something with it before it crumbles beyond repair...

It is, but I think it has been left to rot for so long it is beyond saving. There was a plan to build a swanky tower block there, but as with others, the money ran out in the crash.

And so it sits, sad and forlorn, waiting for the wrecking ball. :(

I thought that was the back of the old Odeon near St Peters Square.

Little known fact: behind the Odeon there used to be a box that looked like an electricity box or ventilation shaft. It was actually one of the entrances to a tunnel underneath Manchester built as a nuclear bunker / hardened communications system during the Cold War.

This is it

I've always wanted to go down into those tunnels - they look amazing. I've bought a couple of books about underground Manchester, and there are quite a lot of them, some quite mysterious as there are no plans for them so no-one quite knows where they go as some of the tunnels are impassable now.

There are also entrances on New York Street (in the old telephone exchange), Salford, and Albert Square in some former public loos which have long gone now.

Back
Top Bottom