Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

day-30-03.jpg

Great thread this - just caught up, that's why some people will log in to find about 30 'likes' from me :D

I fucking love the North you know. Interesting (to me) - I always capitalise it, and two people now have either changed it to lower case (in an article I wrote) or told me I'm wrong. It's God's Own Country ffs!

This is the remains of the floor structure of a derelict building on Oldham Street that burned down very recently. Now the obligatory car park, but at least they've put some nice planters at the edge to make it look a bit nicer.

12.jpg

I grew up in Teesside, and always loved the chemical and steel works - as you said, like something from another planet. They did look ace at night, all lit up. It was also great to look out to the coast during a clear blue-sky day, and see a red haze from the blast furnace at Redcar.

But for us, very mundane as they were just the backdrop to our lives. :)

Where abouts you from fbm?

When I took my ex back to visit the family in Middlesbrough she was loving the industry. We had to go for a drive along the ICI road from Portrack Lane up to Port Clarence so she could get a better look at it all. She especially liked that road which turns left half way down, towards Billingham, where you've got industry on both sides of you, massive pipes with warning labels on and steam/whatever coming out of them.

Like you say, mundane when you live there, but fascinating to an outsider. I've been away long enough that it really stands out to me now.

:cool:

Great thread this - just caught up, that's why some people will log in to find about 30 'likes' from me :D

I fucking love the North you know. Interesting (to me) - I always capitalise it, and two people now have either changed it to lower case (in an article I wrote) or told me I'm wrong. It's God's Own Country ffs!

I agree - it must be capitalised. It is the North, and that's that. :)

one for dessiato here from grimsby

littlecoates.jpg

Which school is that? I'm sure I recognise it, but can't put a name to it.

This was mine, I think I still have my tie and badge somewhere:

6013952243_12056a7f0b_z.jpg

I can't find a picture of the actual school, plenty of Clee girls but not of my school. I was the first sixth former ever to be caned and the last to be expelled before it combined with Beacon Hill to become Matthew Humberston (?).

Which school is that? I'm sure I recognise it, but can't put a name to it.

This was mine, I think I still have my tie and badge somewhere:

I can't find a picture of the actual school, plenty of Clee girls but not of my school. I was the first sixth former ever to be caned and the last to be expelled before it combined with Beacon Hill to become Matthew Humberston (?).
littlecoates apparently

Where abouts you from fbm?

When I took my ex back to visit the family in Middlesbrough she was loving the industry. We had to go for a drive along the ICI road from Portrack Lane up to Port Clarence so she could get a better look at it all. She especially liked that road which turns left half way down, towards Billingham, where you've got industry on both sides of you, massive pipes with warning labels on and steam/whatever coming out of them.

Like you say, mundane when you live there, but fascinating to an outsider. I've been away long enough that it really stands out to me now.

:cool:

I'm from Stockton, and I love the industrial landscape round there, especially when you get in the area with all the pipes and signs like you said. We used to do our food shopping at Asda on Portrack Lane!

I love the rail journey from Thornaby to Redcar, as you pass so much of this stuff. Rail yards, various works, and eerie abandoned sites like Dorman Long, and of course the pipes, and then the wonderful steel works and coking plants. :)

Our school trips were always to these industrial sites - and I also went as a kid as my dad worked at ICI so we got in on family open days. I loved it. The canteen at ICI Billingham used to be ace as it happens - lovely free food. :)

But my favourite trip was to British Steel - the coking plants, blast furnace and especially the rolling mills were amazing. :cool:

I'm from Stockton, and I love the industrial landscape round there, especially when you get in the area with all the pipes and signs like you said. We used to do our food shopping at Asda on Portrack Lane!

I love the rail journey from Thornaby to Redcar, as you pass so much of this stuff. Rail yards, various works, and eerie abandoned sites like Dorman Long, and of course the pipes, and then the wonderful steel works and coking plants. :)

Our school trips were always to these industrial sites - and I also went as a kid as my dad worked at ICI so we got in on family open days. I loved it. The canteen at ICI Billingham used to be ace as it happens - lovely free food. :)

But my favourite trip was to British Steel - the coking plants, blast furnace and especially the rolling mills were amazing. :cool:

Excellent.

I never got to visit ICI but my Granddad worked at Redpath Offshore, building the oil rigs, so we got to go to the launch of one once which was ace! We got to go inside it and wander round. Really cool.

Went on a school trip to Hartlepool Power Station as well which was really interesting. They've closed the visitor's centre now but apparently it's reopening soon.

:)

Excellent.

I never got to visit ICI but my Granddad worked at Redpath Offshore, building the oil rigs, so we got to go to the launch of one once which was ace! We got to go inside it and wander round. Really cool.

Went on a school trip to Hartlepool Power Station as well which was really interesting. They've closed the visitor's centre now but apparently it's reopening soon.

:)

I remember the visitor centre letting you control some CCTV cameras inside the reactor hall. As we zoomed them in to tops of equipment and stuff we could see a fair few paper planes. Given that the public obviously aren't allowed in to the reactor hall, the staff must have been messing around. Slightly concerning at a nuclear power station! :D

I remember the visitor centre letting you control some CCTV cameras inside the reactor hall. As we zoomed them in to tops of equipment and stuff we could see a fair few paper planes. Given that the public obviously aren't allowed in to the reactor hall, the staff must have been messing around. Slightly concerning at a nuclear power station! :D

YES! That's my big memory of it too, the controllable cameras :D

And a room where they gave us a talk and there was a wall with loads of lights on it and it described the reactor.

The shockingly bad roof of Manchester Victoria. Thankfully they are replacing it with a snazzy new one, not before time either.

18.jpg

But this is a nice bit of wall art inside. Don't know whether it is just painted onto blank tiles, or is actually all proper tiling. If the latter, that quite impressive. :)

19.jpg

images

I worked here, terribly racist place. When I complained about it I was told to shut up, it was me that had the problem. Being called, regularly, a fucking black bastard by my seniors was, apparently, my problem.

Back
Top Bottom