Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

images

I worked here, terribly racist place. When I complained about it I was told to shut up, it was me that had the problem. Being called, regularly, a fucking black bastard by my seniors was, apparently, my problem.
it's this luke 6:37 bit when, as i have said before, you should be a bit more ezekiel 25:17

First pic - take a close look at the signage. I didn't know such handy facilities were so close to where I live - excellent! :D
:D

Some mates used to live near somewhere similar in Failsworth. Can't find a pic, so might have to do some Google Maps sightseeing later :hmm:

That's a fantastic picture! :cool:

Can't take any credit for that one. A couple more of mine from down your way:

This once was the last of it's type I believe. It was owned by someone in GY and broken up for scrap. A dreadful shame, a piece of history gone for ever.
images

Bucolic riverside scenes:

36.jpg

37.jpg

And I've not seen glass embedded in the top of a wall since I was a kid!

Edit to add - the wall in question was about 8 foot long, isolated in the middle of nowhere, so I very much doubt the glass would be a deterrent to intruders who could just walk round it!

38.jpg

This once was the last of it's type I believe. It was owned by someone in GY and broken up for scrap. A dreadful shame, a piece of history gone for ever.
images

Yes, Lincoln Castle was broken up a couple of years ago, after the last attempts to save it failed. It wasn't really the last of its type, though: its two compatriot paddle steamers on the Humber ferry service still exist. Wingfield Castle is preserved in Hartlepool, and Tattershall Castle is a floating pub in London.

This is a walkway under an old viaduct that used to house the longest railway platform in the UK. Edit to add - just checked, and the platform was apparently 2,194 feet long. So that about 2/5 of a mile!

I wouldn't fancy walking down here at night.

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Air vents for storage facilities from the past? I know in the Piccadilly undercroft there were banana stores and the like, so maybe similar here.

45.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

Great thread this - just caught up, that's why some people will log in to find about 30 'likes' from me :D

I fucking love the North you know. Interesting (to me) - I always capitalise it, and two people now have either changed it to lower case (in an article I wrote) or told me I'm wrong. It's God's Own Country ffs!

Yup, me too. Really enjoying this thread. :cool:

I'll have another root through my photos later on and put a few more up.

Yes, Lincoln Castle was broken up a couple of years ago, after the last attempts to save it failed. It wasn't really the last of its type, though: its two compatriot paddle steamers on the Humber ferry service still exist. Wingfield Castle is preserved in Hartlepool, and Tattershall Castle is a floating pub in London.

That is good to know. I've seen the Tattershall, she looks dreadful and rather sad in her new guise. But I didn't think she was a full sister. (I hired her once to do a disco cruise up and down the Humber. We had a train to New Holland and back. It was a great night, well the bits that I remember were!)

That is good to know. I've seen the Tattershall, she looks dreadful and rather sad in her new guise. But I didn't think she was a full sister. (I hired her once to do a disco cruise up and down the Humber. We had a train to New Holland and back. It was a great night, well the bits that I remember were!)

They weren't exact sisters. Lincoln Castle was built a few years after the other two and was a bit bigger. Pretty similar ships all the same, although it is sad that the odd one out of the trio is the only one not to survive, especially as she was only decommissioned in 1978, by which time she was the last of that type of ship in regular service.

I don't think Tattershall Castle looks too bad these days, having had a refurb not long ago. She's still in the wrong city, though! :D

I think one thing that even we tend to forget is that this is where it all started. Capitalism, I mean. It spread all over the globe but 300 years ago it was here that we had the first railways and factories.

Where I used to go to school, there was an old disused railway bed at one side. We used to climb over the wall and smoke there. It was the disused track from one of the very first railways. And nearby is the Sankey Viaduct, built in 1828. Another place not that far away is (was) Vulcan works. They used to make trains there and send them to India and New Zealand.

We live in the ruins of that past. We see all this industrial decay. These places feel small and provincial. But we built the modern world. We were connected to everywhere. Like soj, I really really do love the north. It is a proper complex love hate kind of thing. We have always had a stormy relationship. But that just makes me love it more.

This is a mill which dates from 1845 by the stone carving in the first photo. Well past its sell by date now sadly, and no doubt will be pulled down in the next few years.

View attachment 34042

View attachment 34043

View attachment 34044

View attachment 34045

View attachment 34046

View attachment 34047

View attachment 34048

These pics are very similar to ones of the old lino works in Lancaster (apart from a few token buildings) which were all demolished to make room for lovely Barrat housing. Well needed here with so many houses already for sale...

Some mates used to live near somewhere similar in Failsworth. Can't find a pic, so might have to do some Google Maps sightseeing later :hmm:

I used to live up Chaddy way, and I'm sure I remember passing a few 'gentleman' establishments on the main road to Manchester.

One was just by the now ex-pub the Brown Cow, and its windows on the main road side were completely painted black, and the only sign by which you knew it was, ahem, open for business, was a really cheap brass-effect light that half dangled above the door. I think customers went in by the, ahem, back entrance. :D

Back
Top Bottom