Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

what's left of horrocks' mill, just behind my gaff

WP_002093_zps33ee6e53.jpg

WP_002094_zps5d852837.jpg

WP_002095_zpse5544f76.jpg

Why is everything in this area painted blue? :confused:

City Fans, init? :)

I sadly didn't get to take any mundane pictures today. I picked up my phone from the repairers fine, but they hadn't bothered to charge it up, the inconsiderate swines.

Don't they know there's mundanity to document? :mad:

I'm gonna have to get my camera out and go down Holbeck at some point. Its a very similar kind of scenery to the pictures by FMB.

Not for long...'Holbeck Urban Village' is gonna put paid to proper northern scenes like that! :mad:

Can you remember when the two tower blocks were there. They have been knocked down at least five years I bet and yet still nothing to replace them. Its a horrible estate is Holbeck. Drink, drugs, violence, unemployment and prostitution are all rife.

Can you remember when the two tower blocks were there. They have been knocked down at least five years I bet and yet still nothing to replace them. Its a horrible estate is Holbeck. Drink, drugs, violence, unemployment and prostitution are all rife.

Not sure. I think I came to Leeds about 7 years ago but have moved away and back since, so my knowledge of the area is still sketchy.

I think I remember them, though.

I worked for a company doing the removals for the tennants when they were getting ready to knock them down. It was upsetting seeing how some folk have to live.

I worked for a company doing the removals for the tennants when they were getting ready to knock them down. It was upsetting seeing how some folk have to live.

'Like' was for the compassion, not the situation. :(

City Fans, init? :)

I'm not a footy fan, but in the interests of balance, I'll go out tonight with some red paint. But I suppose these pics were taken in Manchester, so according to the traditional dig at Utd, there wouldn't be any Utd fans living in the city anyway. Nor the club for that matter. :)

I've got another couple of sites in the city centre in mind for tomorrow, so will go on the mundane trail and post more then.

It's weird, this makes you rack your visual memory for derelict or quirky sites you've passed but probably not really noticed before. A new way of seeing the city you live in. :)

Edit - racked my brains and now have quite a list. I'll have very sore feet after trekking miles round town tomorrow. :(

No frills, handy for the hills, that's the way you spell New Mills.

I like that I can tell where that is straight away. My dad worked at Swizzels Matlow once.

I've always wanted to have a wander round that factory! I like New Mills - a staging post for the bus journey en route to the lovely Kinder Scout. :)

I am often quite impressed with large scale industrial architecture. I pass that oil refinery / chemical works that you can see from the M56 near Runcorn every so often. It is like something from another planet. Especially at night.

I am often quite impressed with large scale industrial architecture. I pass that oil refinery / chemical works that you can see from the M56 near Runcorn every so often. It is like something from another planet. Especially at night.

I grew up in Teesside, and always loved the chemical and steel works - as you said, like something from another planet. They did look ace at night, all lit up. It was also great to look out to the coast during a clear blue-sky day, and see a red haze from the blast furnace at Redcar.

But for us, very mundane as they were just the backdrop to our lives. :)

Back
Top Bottom