Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

I've posted this before, and I'll post it again.

s14908.jpg

It's in Sheffield. Working down from the top layer it's Hyde Park Flats (now demolished), Park Hill Flats (now partly gentrified) then some Medium-rise flats that have been knocked down. I'm not sure of exactly which street is in the foreground though, although that's a sewer gas destructor lamp so we must be on top of a hill. Perhaps on Arundel gate looking down towards the station?

It's in Sheffield. Working down from the top layer it's Hyde Park Flats (now demolished), Park Hill Flats (now partly gentrified) then some Medium-rise flats that have been knocked down. I'm not sure of exactly which street is in the foreground though, although that's a sewer gas destructor lamp so we must be on top of a hill. Perhaps on Arundel gate looking down towards the station?

Park Hill looked absolutely horrible. I think I posted a picture earlier in the thread.

That's an ace pic. It's like the end of a rave but with cars instead of munters.

The used to have those in the undercroft at Piccadilly station here in Manchester, and the rest of the time it is a car park. Like a rabbit warren I gather (should go in for a wander some time), with a few levels as the station is built up from ground level quite considerably.

One of the entrances...

* apologies for slightly blurry photo - was carrying bags while trying to take the picture with my phone.

Undercroft 19 June 2013.jpg

...which is on this mundane street:
Store Street 19 June 2013.jpg

Some old stone stairs, optimistically named Paradise Walk. The city council obviously has a sense of humour. These are on the side of the old stone viaduct which carries the Ashton Canal over Store Street in Manchester.

Paradise Walk 19 June 2013.jpg

And this is surely uber-Northern - a hill of cobbles! Called Jutland Street, and it is a killer to walk up as it is really steep. It is funny seeing drivers come from the top flat bit at speed, without realising it drops abruptly into the steep slope. They often take off, and you hear random bits of the bottom of the car smack against the cobbled ridge upon landing. :D

Often wondered why they didn't tarmac it - maybe they just couldn't be bothered due to the incline? :)

Jutland Street 19 June 2013.jpg

Interestingly, just found out that Lowry sketched this street to:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john_green/jssba29.html

A rare surviving bit of the old industrial Ancoats, on Store Street. Still working even today which is nice to see - always like hearing the noise of the foundry as I walk past this. :)

Presbar Diecastings 19 June 2013.jpg

Is it sad I am considering a special trip into town to take a photo of something particularly mundane?

Not at all - since this thread I've repeatedly found myself actively looking for mundane things while out and about. I'm starting to look for boring things now! :D

Just had a look through my Flickr stream and found some more

I love the industrial estate road being taken over by nature. Being in the city centre we don't have that sort of thing, but I'm going to scout around an area today that I know has a lot of rundown bits - the red light district behind the station.

I'll report back the number of times I'm asked 'want any business love?' - usually happens when you walk around that area. :)

The car wash sign reminds of one that used to be on one of the main roads in Manchester, proudly offering 'the best handjob in Manchester'. Amused me every time I passed it!

I love the industrial estate road being taken over by nature. Being in the city centre we don't have that sort of thing

That's actually not too far from the town centre, the Sage and Baltic are just round the corner.

The car wash sign reminds of one that used to be on one of the main roads in Manchester, proudly offering 'the best handjob in Manchester'. Amused me every time I passed it!

:D

That's actually not too far from the town centre, the Sage and Baltic are just round the corner.

You generally don't see that sort of thing in Manchester city centre, but it is quite a circular city*, for want of a better description - the main core of the centre, a ring of inner generally relatively deprived housing estates, and a wider hinterland of more affluent suburbs. A simplification of course, but maybe it is quite different in layout to Newcastle and Gateshead, as they are based on a major river, whereas the rivers in Manc are not that big - such as the Irwell and Irk.

* I'm talking about Greater Manchester rather than the city of Manchester proper, as the latter is a sort-of weird streak shape, and my argument doesn't work if I take things literally!

They leave the cobbles showing through on a lot of steep streets in Sheffield too - I had always assumed it was to make them less glassy and slippery in winter.

Ah - that makes sense. If tarmac accumulates ice more easily than cobbles, then Jutland would be a ski slope if it was tarmacked.

Lo and behold, there is a video of someone driving down it - showing that it is like dropping off a cliff at the top:

And it apparently has a 33° gradient, and is purported to be the steepest street in Manchester (and up there in steepness with other parts of the world it seems).

http://www.intelligentanswers.co.uk/index.php?topic=2962.0

http://googlesightseeing.com/2009/06/the-worlds-steepest-streets/

I've learned something today! :)

You generally don't see that sort of thing in Manchester city centre, but it is quite a circular city*, for want of a better description - the main core of the centre, a ring of inner generally relatively deprived housing estates, and a wider hinterland of more affluent suburbs. A simplification of course, but maybe it is quite different in layout to Newcastle and Gateshead, as they are based on a major river, whereas the rivers in Manc are not that big - such as the Irwell and Irk.

Yeah the main bits are centred on the bridges over the area with pockets of dereliction as you get further away. It's probably a bit more prominent on the Gateshead side. It's quite small compared to Manchester too, so everything is a bit more condensed.

Back
Top Bottom