Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Most overused Clichés in movies/TV shows?

And don't forget the drug dealer with a bit of an addiction to his own wares cutting a hole on a wrapped packet of cocaine with the tip of his knife, and snorting it off same utensil.
extra baddie points if the drug dealer keeps an addict on hand to test the purity of drugs, last I saw that was in Godfather of Harlem.

Also, it will take no more than three or four attempts to guess someone’s computer login password, because apparently nobody, not even highly intelligent supervillains, has ever been capable of creating a password more challenging than the name of their lost loved one or the thing they covet the most.

When someone falls asleep in front of the TV late at night and the scene shows it playing white noise.

does that ever actually happen?

adding to what others said, that was the usual occurrence (here in the states) before cable. it was a spooky moment for a kid: one second there was something on your screen, the next second a loud, scratchy nothing. were the station staff taken away in a rapture?

The fact that you hardly ever hear the following lines in a movie must be a cliché.

Hold that thought, I'm just nipping for a shite.

5 minutes elapses with much tapping of watch, and the pooper returns.

Christ, I needed that! I'd give the shitter a wide berth for a while if I was you. I had a ruby last night and it's gone through me like a dose of salts.

Quirky upbeat pathologists on on crime dramas, doing autopsies on murder victims like they're some kind of jolly adventure. Annoys the fuck out of me.

You know what would be really original, an entirely forgettable character who is just methodical and takes their job seriously.

Quirky unbeat pathologists on on crime dramas, doing autopsies on murder victims like they're some kind of jolly adventure. Annoys the fuck out of me.

You know what would be really original, an entirely forgettable character who is just methodical and takes their job seriously.
But if you were a pathologist, you'd have to have a bit of fun, or it'd be depressing as fuck. Puppetry immediately springs to mind.

But if you were a pathologist, you'd have to have a bit of fun, or it'd be depressing as fuck. Puppetry immediately springs to mind.

Yeah, sure, in the right moment. But like unfiltered zaniness while prodding about in a dead body, in the presence of police who are probably more concerned with solving the crime than having a laugh about it. It's not only a tiresome cliche, but it seems a highly inappropriate characterisation.

Autistic Savants annoy the shit out of me.

That Ben Affleck movie The Accountant was especially bad with this. There's a scene where someone says that these 'autistic' people could easily look just like a normal person. Cue faces of shock and surprise all round the room at the sheer horror of this prospect.

Also, it will take no more than three or four attempts to guess someone’s computer login password, because apparently nobody, not even highly intelligent supervillains, has ever been capable of creating a password more challenging than the name of their lost loved one or the thing they covet the most.

Or the title of a book clearly visible from their desk.

You mean this ?

:p

Our unassuming loveable protagonist is, in close up, giving a surprisingly self assured and eloquent speech in which they tell truth to power or confess deep and abiding love. After some time we pull back or cutaway to show they are either practicing alone or the intended audience has fallen asleep/left.

Medic to the gunshot victim, The bullet went through and through, you’ll be okay.
Two hours later gunshot victim gets in punch-up with baddie and baddie sticks thumb in bullet wound.

Hero and heroine meet and annoy each other intensely until their hands touch accidentally when they kiss passionately and marry soon after.

Hero/villain chases villain/hero to within 30 metres and is closing fast to 10 metres and next shot they're within 20 metres and still closing fast.

Bunch of kids whooping it up in open-topped car. Car does hand break turn and weedy one in specs is shaken and mocked by the others.

This is true though

Hero and heroine meet and annoy each other intensely until their hands touch accidentally when they kiss passionately and marry soon after.

Hero/villain chases villain/hero to within 30 metres and is closing fast to 10 metres and next shot they're within 20 metres and still closing fast.

Most romances in films and series get on my nerves for some reason. Sex scenes too. I dunno most of them just seem pretty cringe and completely uncessary.

The last murder in a series is happening while the intrepid detectives race towards them and arrive just in time to prevent the final knife/gun/club/axe/hammer/rope/piano wire strike and save the victim :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom