Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Most overused Clichés in movies/TV shows?

Bedroom closets/ walk-in wardrobes should always be the first place to check in all situations taking place in US homes.. Child-tormenting monsters and other worldly evil entities much prefer it to hiding under the bed, and rightly. Would-be kidnappers or assassins searching for their targets should proceed directly there instead of wasting time checking the bathroom and other rooms and then having to abort the search just as they’re about to open the wardrobe’s doors as they hear the police come in.

Meanwhile, those missing a dead sibling or parent and struggling to find closure will find the shoebox with the childhood photographs they so sorely need to come across on the very top shelf, having sat there unnoticed for decades. For incriminating photographs or love letters proving infidelity, ill-gotten cash, or firearms, please remove the closet’s floorboards to reveal the cubbyhole housing them. You’re all welcome.

There's actually quite a funny post about the Hunt for the Red October going 'peak Brit' with their attempt to pretend that scene was in England, throwing in a random union jack, some archetypal British bobbies, a double decker bus, a tube map, and a bunch of British vehicles.

My favorite bit though is the dead giveaway sign for 'International Departures' which is commonplace in big US airports but just not a thing here as domestic and international flights are not separated by terminals.

What the fuckity fuck is going on with this “Tube map” on the bus shelter though?

They somehow decided it was easier, better, more convincing to invent a version where the Thames flows vertically through the East End?

IMG_0481.png

In intrigue/ heist/ spy thriller films that play up across multiple nations, armed Interpol field agents will sometimes show up and become involved in the action, including raids and arrests.

This is not just a cliché but utter bullshit as well. Interpol doesn’t have field agents at all, let alone anyone carrying firearms, with arresting powers and authorised to carry out operations alongside or even unaccompanied by their host country’s police forces

Have we done vending machines?

Guaranteed to cause hassle for the unfortunate character in obtaining a food or beverage. Inevitably it will get stuck and cause much consternation. Until another character bangs on said machine. Or someone will get their arm stuck.

Guaranteed to cause hassle for the unfortunate character in obtaining a food or beverage. Inevitably it will get stuck and cause much consternation. Until another character bangs on said machine. Or someone will get their arm stuck.
And as an extension of this, if you are spending the night in a cheap roadside motel in America, popping out of the room to grab a snack or drink from the vending machine outside will very often lead to grief. Best avoided.

And as an extension of this, if you are spending the night in a cheap roadside motel in America, popping out of the room to grab a snack or drink from the vending machine outside will very often lead to grief. Best avoided.
I thought of Sharon Stone at 3.37, but was she going for a Snickers or a soda? We will never know. :(

Theres a bit in Powers (2015) where a guy gifted with 'can't miss the shot ever' wangs a coin from across the room into the vending machine slot perfectly and a can drops out. Its a good scene but surely he would have had to make his choice of can before anything dropped out.

Theres a bit in Powers (2015) where a guy gifted with 'can't miss the shot ever' wangs a coin from across the room into the vending machine slot perfectly and a can drops out. Its a good scene but surely he would have had to make his choice of can before anything dropped out.
Also, regardless of whether he puts the coin in first or made his selection first, the Universal Law of Vending Machines states that he will always get the order wrong and will have to either make the selection again or put the coin in again

In courtroom dramas, the protagonists will be facing nearly impossible odds. The attorney will however deliver an impressive opening statement and subsequently blow a hole in the testimony of a key witness for the other side. But then their opposite number will produce a surprise witness of their own that will blow the case apart.

However as all hope is lost and the judge is about to bring down the hammer and pass sentence, the double doors at the back of the courtroom will open and our attorney’s assistant will deliver the new evidence our heroic lawyer had been waiting for.

Aquariums seem to be a surprisingly popular meeting place when two characters need to meet clandestinely to exchange confidential information in public. The conversation will take place in front of a massive plate glass wall showing the resident fish swimming by.

Art galleries are equally popular. Invariably on a bench positioned in front of a painting.

Whenever a goodie needs to get into the house of someone they know without forcing entry, they will try their luck and check underneath a plant pot near the front door, and conveniently find a copy there.

It never occurs to burglars to look there though, and no one ever gets burgled in films as a result of having hidden a key in such an obvious place.

Whenever a goodie needs to get into the house of someone they know without forcing entry, they will try their luck and check underneath a plant pot near the front door, and conveniently find a copy there.

It never occurs to burglars to look there though, and no one ever gets burgled in films as a result of having hidden a key in such an obvious place.
Who needs the spare key under the flower pot when you have a magic credit card? :confused:

actually, i'm visiting a bud and he left the key ... under a plant pot near the door. there is however more than one plant pot, so an intuder would have had to spend more time looking than is advisable, which would afford the undercover waiting in the bushes the right angle to get the drop.

We always used to do this especially in holiday flats

During scenes taking place in American high school or college classrooms, the moment the bell rings all students will get up and leave the teacher hanging in the middle of a sentence during a fascinating lecture the students had been engrossed in one second before the bell rang out- or even vital information to the students about forthcoming exams or coursework. And which the teacher could have rounded up satisfactorily if their pupils had had the common courtesy to remain seated for a mere 10-20 seconds longer.

Perhaps it’s not a cliche and that actually happens in America, but I somehow doubt it. In Spain at least, and I’m sure everywhere else, you have at least a few minutes to make the short journey to the next classroom and there’s absolutely no need to jump off your seat the very second the bell rang.

In fact, back in my student days, ignoring the teacher and getting up without permission just because the bell had sounded was not just not allowed but unthinkable.

Last edited:
During scenes taking place in American high school or college classrooms, the moment the bell rings all students will get up and leave the teacher hanging in the middle of a sentence during a fascinating lecture the students had been engrossed in one second before the bell rang out- or even vital information to the students about forthcoming exams or coursework. And which the teacher could have rounded up satisfactorily if their pupils had had the common courtesy to remain seated for a mere 10-20 seconds longer.

Perhaps it’s not a cliche and that actually happens in America, but I somehow doubt it. In Spain at least, and I’m sure everywhere else, you have at least a few minutes to make the short journey to the next classroom and there’s absolutely no need to jump off your seat the very second the bell rang.

In fact, back in my student days, ignoring the teacher and getting up without permission just because the bell had sounded was not just not allowed but unthinkable.
Would have been beaten to within an inch of our lives and thanked the teacher for doing so.

I once started a thread on the straight dope messageboard asking what aspects of American teen shows were based on real life, if any were at all, and they all said they do do this one.

They also thought it was a very stupid question and there's no other way of doing it in any country, plus I was stupid for thinking high school shows were all true to life, even though I'd stated in the OP that obviously I know most of it isn't accurate, and it turned out some of it actually is completely true to life.

we all did it from year nine onwards, at v least started tidying away your books and pencils in your bag. Not quite as abrupt I spose. 'The bell is for ME not for YOU' was a line often aimed at my back by yr 11.

A plan that should definitely work if everyone does exactly what they agree to do - but then fails because of one character's personal obsession and/or flaw they can for some reason suddenly no longer bear.

Bonus points if they're hallucinating, or if their strange behaviour spreads to others.

CPR that consists of 5 compressions / 1 breath / repeat while chatting

I know it looks dynamic and dramatic but we really should be seeing such an important, life-saving procedure modelled accurately on screen, as much as possible.

Regards,

Horrified first-aider,
Bovey Tracey

I once started a thread on the straight dope messageboard asking what aspects of American teen shows were based on real life, if any were at all, and they all said they do do this one.

They also thought it was a very stupid question and there's no other way of doing it in any country, plus I was stupid for thinking high school shows were all true to life, even though I'd stated in the OP that obviously I know most of it isn't accurate, and it turned out some of it actually is completely true to life.
Wow, that’s amazing to hear. More so if you consider, again from what else you can assume from watching American films and shows, that general discipline & interaction with adults expected from teenagers is noticeably more formal and respectful. Addressing the parents of their best friends they’ve known since childhood as Mr/ Mrs, or even ‘sir’, and whatnot…

CPR that consists of 5 compressions / 1 breath / repeat while chatting

I know it looks dynamic and dramatic but we really should be seeing such an important, life-saving procedure modelled accurately on screen, as much as possible.

Regards,

Horrified first-aider,
Bovey Tracey
And in drowning cases, the person administering it gives up after a while, giving it up as a lost cause, when five seconds later the victim suddenly coughs up a mouthful of water all of their own and instantaneously regains not just unaided breathing and heart beating functions but full consciousness as well.

Wow, that’s amazing to hear. More so if you consider, again from what else you can assume from watching American films and shows, that general discipline & interaction with adults expected from teenagers is noticeably more formal and respectful. Addressing the parents of their best friends they’ve known since childhood as Mr/ Mrs, or even ‘sir’, and whatnot…
Was brought up to do just that (not the "sir" part) and even to this day find it awkward to address parents of old friends by first names...

It's breakfast time in the American TV household. Regardless of the piles of pancakes and whatnot, Dad must take one bite of toast, take one swig of orange juice, all while doing his tie, before leaving.
And often steal the bite from the wife’s or even kids’ toast, because all of them happen to need to leave the house at roughly the same time. It seems no family man in America needs to leave for work before 7.30- 8 am.

Also, kids seem completely incapable to be out of the house for the school bus in good time. Every single morning they will have to run for it, urged on by their long-suffering mother.

And often steal the bite from the wife’s or even kids’ toast, because all of them happen to need to leave the house at roughly the same time. It seems no family man in America needs to leave for work before 7.30- 8 am.

Also, kids seem completely incapable to be out of the house for the school bus in good time. Every single morning they will have to run for it, urged on by their long-suffering mother.

The latter part is partly based on reality. In reality there will be lots more shouting, usually including the words SHOES! and COAT!, and checking of if it's PE day or non-uniform/pyjama/only wear red/take your slug to school day.

Back
Top Bottom