Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Missed a community job application deadline by 5 Hours, c**ts

splonkydoo

So I've been semi-unemployed for years now, but I found an ideal job for me. A part-time community gardener in a social project working towards social inclusion with the local community.

The deadline for the position was 12pm and I got mine in at 5pm..... I thought I would have gotten a bit of a 'pass' by having it in by the end of the working day.

Not so it seems. I got a written response at nearly 10pm without even a hello, just a copy/paste saying 12pm was the deadline and no late applications etc., a straight copypasta from the ad.

The job was advertised for the last month - but I only saw it in the last two days while I've been extremely busy on a temp job delivering Census forms to 500 houses (as well as assisting elderly and marginalised people in filling it out), and also been dealing a lot with my partner who is under a lot of pressure in her own job and personal life atm. So it just took me a bit of time to write my whole application and cover letter. Some other folks reading this may know that i have recently gotten a diagnosis of ADD .....so yeah.... I am also just bad at getting things in on time.

I'm a bit peeved off because I wasn't expecting such a cold response from a group that deals with the community & social inclusion. My own self confidence has taken a battering over the last 10 years of being mostly unemployed, and bumbling around, and I thought this job would be a perfect fit for me. I have recent certificates in horticulture, ecology, and social care....alongside voluntary work with housing groups, homeless food-runs, and a community tree planting group. I obviously am not aware of any of the other applicants for the job, but I really do have confidence in my own abilities and experience for it, feel I am well qualified for it....and I would absolutely love to be involved in a community project and getting to engage with others :) . I just want to be included in the competition for it, and I feel missing a deadline by a matter of hours and minutes, without a bit of leniency, is a bit shit. I didn't send my application a day, or a week later, just a matter of hours.

I'm not sure how to proceed though so I would really value any advice given....

As far as I am aware the specific project currently has 3-5 staff members, but is also part of a wider umbrella project which is part of the health service & funded/linked with the city council.

Now my application, as far as I am aware, was sent to the specific project itself. I have a phone number for them, which I was going to ring in the morning. But i'm fearful if I ring them that it might be the same person who denied my application... and that they might double-down on it, and it could get a bit argy-bargy despite my best efforts.
My other option is to go directly to the community centre itself tomorrow and ask to speak with someone directly, to see if they can still consider my application. But I'm worried if presenting myself unannounced might seem a bit hostile or too indiscreet?

I'm really a bit clueless at how best to engage with these type of things...... I feel if i follow up on it, it shows i'm serious about my interest in the position. But if they decide to be pricks they may say 'well why didnt you submit your application on time if you were serious about it?' :(

Would you want to work with people who behave like that?

If so, I would call them and explain. Personal contact is far more effective than emails - I'm pretty old school and always call my recruitment agencies rather than email as lets face it they just delete it without really reading it. You need a captive audience.

My other option is to go directly to the community centre itself tomorrow and ask to speak with someone directly, to see if they can still consider my application. But I'm worried if presenting myself unannounced might seem a bit hostile or too indiscreet?

I'm really a bit clueless at how best to engage with these type of things...... I feel if i follow up on it, it shows i'm serious about my interest in the position. But if they decide to be pricks they may say 'well why didnt you submit your application on time if you were serious about it?' :(

I would go down and explain. It would show you are serious about the job. Talking to the decision maker may actually qualify as an interview/

Petcha also has good advice. Phoning would also be good. If you get the same person, explain the situation and he may reverse his decision.

I hope you get them to come around and give you the job!!!

Would you want to work with people who behave like that?

If so, I would call them and explain. Personal contact is far more effective than emails - I'm pretty old school and always call my recruitment agencies rather than email as lets face it they just delete it without really reading it. You need a captive audience.

Well it seems like a decent project that I would fit in with, so my suspicion is that it was just one arsehole out of the lot that sent me the non-response email back. The type of lad that used to work in corporate but found their soul in community work, but hasn't dispensed with some of the shit attitudes.
As it's a small group of staff I was just thinking that the likelihood of me engaging with the arsehole is quite high, and am wondering if its actually the top boss.
So it's either a phone conversation or turning up to the community centre tomorrow to ask them what the craic is.
I'm a very easy, if sometimes awkward, person.... not always good on the phone but know how to lay the charm on in person.

An email back was never an option for me cos as ye say, it is useless. So either phonecall, or rock up to the community centre? I am not sure which one to do as I am a bit anxious now about it. Which of the two options would ye suggest? And thanks for replying, it means a lot.

I guess its a completely different industry to mine (i work in a corporate environment) so rocking up to the office would look really weird in my case, but your case is totally different. I mean, what the hell, nothing to lose right.. just go down there then and charm them. I'm the opposite. I get nervous as fuck in person but am great on the phone. Do it, why not. And report back here!

I will call up tomorrow so to them, if I am in a fit state. But it being the weekend, no one might even be there. :D
I've not so far worked in corporates Petcha but have many good friends that do, so any slurs given are not personal, just aimed at a general inflexible upper-management type that we all know. ;)

Oh....and when I mentioned in the thread that this is a community job, there may be some confusion. This is actually a professional job, that works with communities, rather than it being a community employment scheme for the unemployed etc.

Right, well definitiely dont go down there if its an office based thing. A) they'll be shut and b) you might look like a nutter. Defo a phone call, on Monday.

Right, well definitiely dont go down there if its an office based thing. A) they'll be shut and b) you might look like a nutter. Defo a phone call, on Monday.

This is the thing my head is in a nut about. I obviously want my application to be received and considered, without seeming like a nutter.
If they are a community project they may, or may not be, open on a weekend. I really do not know.
If i have already been pushed aside on a technicality, I can't ratchet it up so much without being effectively disqualified.
The whole project is linked in with a local community centre, so they are not exactly office based in a traditional sense, but may well be... i'm not too sure (i've researched the head of the project and he is a former banker)

On the Job app they mentioned they would be interviewing short-listed candidates on the 11th April.

Definitely call or go down, might help or if it is arsehole central you can feel better about dodging a bullet.

Unfortunately, I think this job is probably gone for you now. Would it be fair if you’d applied on time but someone else applied late and then got the job?

But certainly call, explain the situation, have an informal chat about the job, and ask to be informed of any future roles that are similar.

It may be they don’t find anyone suitable this time and need to advertise again. So you’re in a strong position. Or there’s a similar role they’re about to advertise, or there’s scope to do some volunteering etc

There was a deadline, you missed it. Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but sometimes that’s how these things work. Often getting diaries lined up for the people on shortlisting/interview panels is difficult and schedules have to be kept to.

I'm sorry you missed the deadline. It must be really frustrating.
As well as the practical considerations, that bees has pointed out, it is part of the weeding out process and the first hoop to jump through.

This will sound harsh....but in missing the deadline you have immediately demonstrated (in this case) (this will be their rationale) that you can not meet a deadline or prioritise your work load. You need to be able to take responsibility for that.

However you have nothing lose by asking them to consider your late application and you never know they might not be able to interview or appoint this time, in which he case you could resubmit.

Good luck 🙂

Surely a deadline like this is at least partly to see if you can keep to deadlines?

Its like turning up on time, if someone cant be trusted to do simple things then why would you trust someone do do anything more complicated?

As well as the practical considerations, that bees has pointed out, it is part of the weeding out process and the first hoop to jump through.

This will sound harsh....but in missing the deadline you have immediately demonstrated (in this case) (this will be their rationale) that you can not meet a deadline or prioritise your work load. You need to be able to take responsibility for that.

However you have nothing lose by asking them to consider your late application and you never know they might not be able to interview or appoint this time, in which he case you could resubmit.

Good luck 🙂
great minds etc etc

I'm sorry, but I think you've lost this job. It's a shame as you seem to be a really good fit.

I don't think going there, or phoning, will change things.

Lick your wounds, and next time get in early. Another chance will come your way.

I'm guessing this is a charity or social enterprise and from my experience they tend to be pretty strict around recruitment to show that everyone has an equal opportunity of applying and showing no-one any particular favours. Its a pisser when you see that dream job a bit too late, but I'd try not to take it personally.

I think there's no harm popping down there in person to discuss their work, find out more about them and tell them how gutted you were to miss the deadline and to explore any future opportunities. Maybe a bit of voluntary work with them would give you a heads up when future posts were coming up.

Just to show how serious you are about gardening, I'd take a big sickle down with you and wave it about whilst chatting to demonstrate your professional skills.

Good luck 🙂
I don't totally agree here. Job application processes are riddled from start to finish with hoops you have to jump through which can present barriers to people with assorted disabilities and which are supposed in some way to demonstrate... what exactly? Whilst not actually relating to the actual requirements of the actual job. People don't think these things through when recruiting.

I remember a colleague interviewing a candidate with MS over the phone and when the candidate got tired saying "let's continue via email, I'm not testing you on your ability to talk on the phone". It left a big impression on me.

I myself failed to turn up for interview once when I was developing a chronic illness. They rearranged it as a phone interview and hired me. (I still work there.)

Anyway. You could try telling them you have ADD. Boat probably sailed though.

As others have said you missed the deadline which was 12 noon not 5pm. I do some recruiting in my role & put 23.59 as closing time for applications. At this stage it is the computer says no so depending on their regulations around recruitment communicating with a person might help.

I would drop them an email sharing you had only just seen the job, you recognise that application wasn’t submitted on time but you would greatly appreciate if you could be considered & if not do they have any similar roles etc.

Yep. it's harsh but a deadline is a deadline. However, I think calling them to explain why you couldn't get it in on time that day. Really busy with XYZ responsibilities, unforeseen delays. It will be difficult to hit the right tone, kind of apologetic but don't want to sound too pleading special circumstances. The job looks ideal, gutted you missed it etc.

I think going down in person unanounced would be a bad idea. I've only recruited volunteers, which is different but if I were hiring for a job and an applicant who missed the deadline turned up to try talk me into accepting it, however nice they were being, would piss me right off TBH.

Yep. it's harsh but a deadline is a deadline. However, I think calling them to explain why you couldn't get it in on time that day. Really busy with XYZ responsibilities, unforeseen delays. It will be difficult to hit the right tone, kind of apologetic but don't want to sound too pleading special circumstances. The job looks ideal, gutted you missed it etc.

I think going down in person unanounced would be a bad idea. I've only recruited volunteers, which is different but if I were hiring for a job and an applicant who missed the deadline turned up to try talk me into accepting it, however nice they were being, would piss me right off TBH.
I agree with all this and maybe phrase it like "I understand this opportunity has gone, but I'm really keen to find out more about the enterprise in case anything comes up in the future", that way the call isn't about you convincing them to extend a deadline, it is a bit more positive. Not sure would even mention reasons for being late or missing the deadline at all, just maybe say I saw the advert too late to put together a worthy application or something.

Who knows maybe noone else applied and they'll say fine come in for an interview, and you won't have "missed a deadline" hanging over you.

I'd write a polite e-mail now (so its only a day after the deadline) explaining, as in this post, why you only saw the advert two days ago and turned the application round in two days. Don't go to the offices as if you have a feeling like "But if they decide to be pricks" and "just one arsehole" about an organisation sticking to a transparent recruiting policy that could well leak through your communications to them and you'd be burning your boats there forever.

A 1200 Friday closing date means one of three things:

They are going to be really efficient and divide up the applications between panel members , or all look at them all, and the people deciding will look at them this weekend (in which case that's probably a no for you).

or

When I am advertising for jobs and in a position to set deadlines I always do it for a Friday so people don't have to fuck up their weekends writing an application for a 2359 Sunday or 1000 Monday deadline (Because I have lost too many weekends myself to application forms). So no one will look at them till next week and you might be lucky, IF your e-mail is both good and nice

or

It's just random based on a set number of days from advert to deadline. In which case you might have a small chance again if your e-mail is both good and nice.

If they are likely to have similar jobs in future is there any way of setting up an e-mail alert on their jobs page to ping you when new stuff comes up?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yep agree with a lot of the above posts - no need to go into detail, email and just say that you're sorry you didn't see the advert until it was too late and missed the deadline, you're really interested and enthusiastic about the work they do and would they please keep your application on file and let you know should any similar roles become available in the future.

(If it is an organisation that takes on volunteers, perhaps that could be an alternative route to get to know people there and hear about future vacancies, if you are not currently working full time).

Who knows maybe noone else applied and they'll say fine come in for an interview, and you won't have "missed a deadline" hanging over you.
Loads of businesses seem to be having trouble recruiting at the moment, especially for qualified people. The school I'm a governor of got exactly zero applications for a recent TA job so they'd have happily accepted a late one!

I'd do as others have suggested, polite email saying you totally understand about the deadline, you saw the ad late but you would love to work for the organisation and would appreciate them keeping you in mind for future roles.

It might turn out all the applicants or interviewees aren't suitable and then that nice, well qualified person who already filled in an application is right at the top of the pile.

Also even if someone else does get it, things might not work out with them, and you want the people there to say "oh remember that nice person who called up and was so enthusiastic, let's call them up now". (Make sure you send an email to follow up after you call them, with something easily searchable as the subject and all your details in it; so they can actually find your details a few months later if they want to get in touch). (Or yeh just email rather than call in the first place tbh; most people find it less intrusive).

Either send a brief, polite email, explaining extenuating circumstances, only saw the last two days ago and had immovable personal commitments, etc., politely ask for late application to be excused in this instance and considered.

Or phone on Monday, as above.

Do not go down there as that risks looking a bit confrontational and/or too desperate. You really don't want to put them on the spot in person like that, as it could be annoying.

In future, though, if you see an ad and know you're not going to meet the deadline like that, maybe phone and check in advance. If you'd phoned two days ago and said I've only just spotted the ad, and I have the required qualifications and relevant experience and am really keen to apply, but I have a couple of immovable commitments over the next couple of days, so wonder if it would be okay if I could submit a slightly late application, I'd be able to submit it by 5pm or midnight? They're not commitments that would affect my availability to do the job, it's just they're not things I can change at such short notice.

That way, you're coming across as someone who's keen, but also communicative and who is trying to juggle and manage their time, rather than someone who's a bit of a slacker who couldn't be bothered submitting their application on time.

And then you'll know from their response. If they say, 'No, sorry, the deadline's strict,' or 'We've already received 87 applications, so can't really consider any submitted out of time', you can either move heaven and earth to submit to the deadline, or if you can't do that, then you don't bother wasting your time working on an application that will be immediately rejected for being late. I guess that's the most annoying and frustrating thing, that you actually did the work, but it was a wasted effort?

Or if you don't phone in advance to ask if a slightly late application could be considered, you could at least mention it in the covering email: I'm sincerely sorry for the slightly late submission, because blah blah blah / or technical difficulties / whatever. I respectfully request that you consider my application because I have the required qualifications and relevant experience and believe I'm excellent fit for the role, and would love and opportunity to work for X organisation. Or something along those lines.

I wouldn't have just submitted something late and hoped they wouldn't notice and would consider it with other applications. It just comes across as rude, disrespectful, or downright cheeky if you don't acknowledge and apologise for the lateness. I've at had at least one late application submitted, iirc, due to technical difficulties with their online job application portal.

I sympathise, though, I've missed out on applying for jobs that would've been perfect because I prioritised other people and other commitments and then left it too late to submit an application, or started an application too late and didn't get it finished and submitted in time.

Instead of an email you could write a short note. That would stick with me more. But however you contact them, keep it concise, offer a brief explanation then wish them all the best going forwards.

inclined to agree with much of the above.

it's crappy, but it's not their fault if you (for whatever reason) didn't see the advert in time / didn't respond in time.

making contact and being confrontational almost certainly won't get you anywhere this time, and may well count against you if they re-advertise for any reason.

making contact in a constructive way probably won't help this time, but is not going to do any harm.

worth being aware that some job adverts do say in the small print that closing date is X, but they will close applications early if they get a lot of / reach a certain number of applications.

in theory, it's easier to get a job if you're already in one, but this is one of the ways that the system makes it more difficult. and a lot of applications are made by people who are under threat of being sanctioned off the dole if they don't apply for enough jobs, so will stick pointless applications in to avoid that. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom