Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

Also, the accused can't get any legal costs back even if they're proven not to have done what they're accused of. So there are literally no consequences. Don't like your neighbour? Accuse them of facilitating an abortion (giving someone advice would be enough) and they have to spend time and money attempting to prove you wrong.
Sounds a plan. I'm sure I've heard the Texas governor has been facilitating an abortion :mad:

Sounds a plan. I'm sure I've heard the Texas governor has been facilitating an abortion :mad:

They can afford to defend it and would never be found guilty anyway. Jo, who annoys you and also has slightly brown skin so is obviously a wrong'un, will probably have to take a few days off work and get a loan for a lawyer. And thus will be terrified of ever even discussing abortion.

Also a few local orgs that could probably use some support include:

fktnwd22vbl71.jpg

Biden does have to do something - if he's afraid of starting a civil war better now because the democrats will have no chance when it comes and the republicans are back in.

So we have Uber and lyft telling their drivers that the company will cover any legal fees.

Now, this.

View attachment 286633

This approach worked against north Carolina's bathroom bill.
The arts and sports went elsewhere.

It also helped in Georgia, because Atlanta was making a huge amount of money from Marvel and other movies that were being filmed there, and the studios were serious about pulling out.

If Uber is serious about that then it changes my opinions on them a little.

This whole thing that's re-surfacing after the Texas ruling - Hilary was right. Hilary warned us . Hope all of you (Democrats) who didn't vote for Hilary are ashamed and so on. Wtf?

This whole thing that's re-surfacing after the Texas ruling - Hilary was right. Hilary warned us . Hope all of you (Democrats) who didn't vote for Hilary are ashamed and so on. Wtf?

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Their website was removed by godaddy, so they found a new home.
Soon after the move, their new host was already having issues with the site.

The site, created by the evangelical group Texas Right to Life, had gotten the boot from hosting provider GoDaddy on Friday, but it had found a new home alongside neo-Nazis and white supremacists on Saturday. That’s when Epik, a provider known for hosting right-wing extremist groups, welcomed ProLifeWhistleblower.com to its client roster, according to domain registration data cited by Ars Technica.

By Saturday night, however, even Epik apparently saw the need to impose limits on what ProLifeWhistlerblower.com was doing.

“We received complaints about the site,” a representative said in a statement late Saturday, noting that the site had “violated Epik’s Terms of Use.” The specific violation was reportedly the collection of information on third-parties without their consent.

“We contacted the owner of the domain, who agreed to disable the collection of user submissions on this domain,” the statement said.

It was not immediately clear if the anti-abortion site could still solicit anonymous tips via email or other means.

The Texas law isn't being struck down by the Supreme Court because Donald Trump appointed three anti-abortion judges to the court, Hillary Clinton supporters are now doing some I-told-you-so-ing.
I believe separation between government and the law is vitally important.
The fact that the president appoints (for life) supreme court justices is for me a broken system.

RBG was fantastic.
She was replaced by someone who views are probably the polar opposite.
Amy Barrett has personal opinions against abortion but has said that she won't let those beliefs affect her work as a judge.
Forgive me if I don't believe her.

Am seeing it on social media from Hilary fan Dems. That all Democrat voters/undecided should have supported her. As Yossarian says, a lot of "I told you so" at present. Don't think they understand that she was an unlikeable candidate.

They shouldn't blame the voters, they should blame the Democratic Party apparatus that put all its weight behind promoting an unpopular candidate and undermining her rival. Though to be fair to Clinton, her remarks after a June 2016 Supreme Court decision striking down an earlier Texas abortion law were very prescient.

But the current political battle being waged over filling the current vacant seat on the Supreme Court—and the fact that our next president could appoint as many as three or four justices in the next four years—are striking reminders that we can’t take rulings like today’s for granted.

Just consider Donald Trump. the Republicans’ presumptive nominee. The man who could be president has said there should be some form of “punishment” for women seeking abortions. He pledged to appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade. And last year, he said he’d shut down the government rather than fund Planned Parenthood. If we send Trump to the White House and a Republican majority to Congress, he could achieve any—or all—of these things.

And that’s why this election is so important. The outcome of November’s contests, from the presidency to state legislatures, is going to be a deciding factor in whether our elected officials and our courts defend or attack a woman’s right to health care for generations to come.”

It’s been a while since I studied us stuff. A long while. Tropes about the state itself aside - Honest Q: does the Texas electorate generally support this move ?

It’s been a while since I studied us stuff. A long while. Tropes about the state itself aside - Honest Q: does the Texas electorate generally support this move ?
As I understand it, this isn’t like Northern Ireland, where feeling on the ground is substantially pro choice, but the political system is so toxic that an oppressive state is perpetuated.

There is a kneejerk, but also deeply held religiosity throughout America (though especially in the south) that is miles and miles away from any other western democracy that it’s hard to conceptualise. 20% of Americans go to church etc at least once a week. Almost half are identified members of a local religious community/congregation. Both those stats, btw - from 2020 data, are by far the lowest for years, but are unrecognisable in otherwise similar nations.

As of 2014, 55% of Americans across all religions and none, say that they pray every single day. Even if there’s an element of inflation in self reporting, you have a nation where 55% of people think they should pray daily.

And people vote on religious grounds. Preachers and local religious leaders tell their communities who to vote for.

There is a simple, superficially consistent case against abortion. If you believe abortion is killing a baby, and on the surface that’s not a huge leap, then of course you’ll vote against abortion rights. It must seem like a legally sanctioned Holocaust of children. And you wouldn’t allow a baby to be killed even if it was conceived through rape or incest, or if it was going to have overwhelming, life-limiting defects and would only survive for moments after birth. If you believe a fertilised, implanted egg is where a life begins then the rest is very clear. And if you are internally and performatively religious, and your religious community, elders and leaders have told you that is where life begins, and that the only morally acceptable way to vote is against abortion, then you do.

In the south, it’s not unknown for democrat candidates and politicians to have to be publicly anti abortion too.

As I understand it, this isn’t like Northern Ireland, where feeling on the ground is substantially pro choice, but the political system is so toxic that an oppressive state is perpetuated.

There is a kneejerk, but also deeply held religiosity throughout America (though especially in the south) that is miles and miles away from any other western democracy that it’s hard to conceptualise. 20% of Americans go to church etc at least once a week. Almost half are identified members of a local religious community/congregation. Both those stats, btw - from 2020 data, are by far the lowest for years, but are unrecognisable in otherwise similar nations.

As of 2014, 55% of Americans across all religions and none, say that they pray every single day. Even if there’s an element of inflation in self reporting, you have a nation where 55% of people think they should pray daily.

And people vote on religious grounds. Preachers and local religious leaders tell their communities who to vote for.

There is a simple, superficially consistent case against abortion. If you believe abortion is killing a baby, and on the surface that’s not a huge leap, then of course you’ll vote against abortion rights. It must seem like a legally sanctioned Holocaust of children. And you wouldn’t allow a baby to be killed even if it was conceived through rape or incest, or if it was going to have overwhelming, life-limiting defects and would only survive for moments after birth. If you believe a fertilised, implanted egg is where a life begins then the rest is very clear. And if you are internally and performatively religious, and your religious community, elders and leaders have told you that is where life begins, and that the only morally acceptable way to vote is against abortion, then you do.

In the south, it’s not unknown for democrat candidates and politicians to have to be publicly anti abortion too.
Apols if I’m wrong about any of this. I’m not trying to claim authority, I’ve just taken a concerned and active interest in this since my holiday to Louisiana coincided with the 2016 GOP candidate race and I ended up watching a lot of tv news as Trump kept failing to fall behind like everyone thought, at the same time as Alabama was doing shady stuff to restrict access to terminations.

Back
Top Bottom