Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake, Field Day & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

Just got back from City Splash (residents tickets). Park is entirely and absolutely mash up. My pals who went to x the tracks yesterday warned me but I didn't really fully get it until I saw - total slippy, slidey, glasto-style, shoe engulfing mud bath throughout. we got there about 5pm, and I'd worn my trusty Mountain Warehouse hiking boots as a precaution and they did NOTHING to protect my little feet from the thick, slippy, gross, sludgy, liquid, mud EVERYWHERE. General Levy was an absolute joy, otherwise I'd have bailed - luckily he was brilliant IMO but I was truely over it as soon as he finished playing.

I seem to recall that the first question asked at the first public meeting about Brockwell Parks designation as a major events venue (2018) was about exactly this. A rainy Field Day had reduced Finsbury Park to a mud bath the previous year. Much of the park had to be cordoned off for weeks after the festival and took months to fully recover. Particularly given the poor drainage in the proposed festival area, was this considered an acceptable risk and, if not, how was a repeat in Brockwell park to be avoided. The answer was along the lines of "we have a lot of experience and valuable lessons have been learned".

Last edited:
I seem to recall that the first question asked at the first public meeting about Brockwell Parks designation as a major events venue (2018) was about exactly this. A rainy Field Day had reduced Finsbury Park to a mud bath the previous year. Much of the park had to be cordoned off for weeks after the festival and took months to fully recover. Particularly given the poor drainage in the proposed festival area, was this considered an acceptable risk and, if not, how was a repeat in Brockwell park to be avoided. The answer was along the lines of "we have a lot of experience and valuable lessons have been learned".
If we get a week of solid sun and baking heat....I still i wouldn't fancy the ground for mighty hoopla. And you can fuck putting a blanket down with your picnic for Country Show.

I was thinking it’s Brixton Bounce and the Country Show (ie, the two local community events) that will be most fucked up. Other half was planning to take the kids on Wednesday. I don’t think any of them will want to go now. 😕

If we get a week of solid sun and baking heat....I still i wouldn't fancy the ground for mighty hoopla. And you can fuck putting a blanket down with your picnic for Country Show.
When I was strolling around the park last night at 8, there were people with picnic blankets on the grassy areas. In spite of the mad downpours yesterday, it was already dry enough to sit on with a blanket, presumably with a waterproof underside.

It might not look so bad for the next events, but if it rains while they are on, the ground won’t take any rain in at all. When I was at Wide Awake on Saturday, loads of the ground felt very spongey so was maybe already holding a lot of moisture in spite of the good weather.

Damage to the park was always a serious concern about these events. The grass will have no time to recover before being ground further into the mud.

I’m guessing if I wanted to cycle from the ponds to Herne Hill today all the gates in the fenced area will be shut, and I should use the path around the edge?

I've been surprised in the past, at proper festivals with camping, that the place has been a boggy mess when going to bed but the next day with no rain and thousands of people walking over the place overnight, the ground has firmed up quite well. It's probably the same today in the park. Might be wise to leave the ground well alone before Mighty Hoopla to give it a chance to recover. If it rains next weekend, its definitely gona be fucked.

When I was strolling around the park last night at 8, there were people with picnic blankets on the grassy areas. In spite of the mad downpours yesterday, it was already dry enough to sit on with a blanket, presumably with a waterproof underside.

It might not look so bad for the next events, but if it rains while they are on, the ground won’t take any rain in at all. When I was at Wide Awake on Saturday, loads of the ground felt very spongey so was maybe already holding a lot of moisture in spite of the good weather.
Was that inside or outside the wall? Inside, I don't think I saw any grass left at all, except a patch under the tree circle.

Was that inside or outside the wall? Inside, I don't think I saw any grass left at all, except a patch under the tree circle.
It was outside. In that meadow area leading from the clock tower to Cressingham.

I think the ground has the opportunity to dry out before Mighty Hoopla, even with additional rain. But if it rains when everyone is in there, it will be as bad as yesterday. It's the feet which are the problem, not the rain.

The brockwell tranquility (surely an oxymoron if you look at some of the comments) facebook site has gone into meltdown
Not really meltdown though eh? A few comments about mud and some sort of argument about that report of an over intimate search that was carried out.

The absolute state of this!!

I walked home through Cressingham Gardens last night. It just looked like dozens of people had parked anywhere they could get their cars stopped. No regard whether they were in a parking space or if those in front of them would be able to get out later.

There's no way an ambulance or fire engine could have made it in to that spot towards the gate into Brockwell. I am not sure about what it was like along Hardel Walk, parallel with Tulse Hill.

The brockwell tranquility (surely an oxymoron if you look at some of the comments) facebook site has gone into meltdown
Surprise surprise that a Facebook page set up specifically in objection to Brockwell Park's formal designation as a major commercial event venue and the ongoing proliferation of commercial events is seeing more activity as the park is steadily reduced to a wasteland. :facepalm:

It's in such a state that even Hoopla seem to be on the fence about whether they are going ahead next week.

Back
Top Bottom