Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake, Field Day & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

They fucked up the park. Big time. And there's more to come. Why are they not doing these big festivals in Clapham Common? Or at least sharing the destruction?
The rich people living near Clapham Common moan to high heaven too. Its a more affluent part of the borough so there are less tolerant folk living nearby who appreciate cultural, fun things like music events, and the ones that do have an even lower tolerance level. They get seriously pissed off at things like not being able to walk their dog undisturbed on the exact same route 365 days a year. I feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
Pics:

City Splash 2024 - great sounds, good vibes and a whole load of mud - 75 photos

City Splash 2024: great sounds, good vibes and a whole load of mud – 75 photos

So yes, the entrances are now a quagmire so that’s not going to be pretty. I wonder if the site is trashed and with more rain forecast whether mighty hoopla might get moved of stopped? One thing I’ve noticed today is how accessible city splash is, never seen so many badly parked cars with blue badges!!
They used to grid out the entrances with steel sheeting or plywood. This is what happens when the council don't police the promoters to keep to the contract.

The impression I got from the moaners on Twitter was that folk driving to City Splash and parking like arseholes seems to be a much bigger issue compared to the other events.

They wouldn't be able to move Mighty Hoopla and I would hope a bit of mud wouldn't mean it's cancellation, even if the event isn't really my bag.
The parking has always been a massive bone of contention, but one that Lambeth Council never bother to enforce properly.

The ground will be truely fucked by the time the events finish.
While Lambeth Council claim that the promoters pay for remediation, the fact is that even with a running start at doing so, Lambeth have never managed to get much remediation in before Summer's end. That means that more often than not, all that happens is they lay new turf in October, when it has much less chance to "take" properly.

I walked home through Cressingham Gardens last night. It just looked like dozens of people had parked anywhere they could get their cars stopped. No regard whether they were in a parking space or if those in front of them would be able to get out later.

There's no way an ambulance or fire engine could have made it in to that spot towards the gate into Brockwell. I am not sure about what it was like along Hardel Walk, parallel with Tulse Hill.
It was shit. Residents couldn't park in the places they pay for, & we had a couple of EXTRA dealers (on top if the usual) working the parking, offering people their choice of wares.
Some of the folk who didn't have resident permits were obviously spangled, as some cars got left here overnight. In my younger days, I'd have done their tyres. Now it's too strenuous, bending down & stabbing, 4x per car!

Surprise surprise that a Facebook page set up specifically in objection to Brockwell Park's formal designation as a major commercial event venue and the ongoing proliferation of commercial events is seeing more activity as the park is steadily reduced to a wasteland. :facepalm:

It's in such a state that even Hoopla seem to be on the fence about whether they are going ahead next week.
Apropos the state of the park, people need to bear in mind that in Lambeth's local plan 2020, they envisioned up to EIGHT weekends of paid festivals, PLUS LCS. I can't imagine what that would do to a park that's already dealing with the legacy of previous years - soil compaction; tree damage; tarmac path subsidence, compression and crumbling; turf erosion.
Lambeth will aireate the soil and sprinkle some grass seeds 2-3 times, providing the pigeons with a good feed, but they won't do the sensible thing right away & plough up the soil, let alone laying turf on it. They only turf 4-5 months after the damage.

I’m not surprised about Hoopla, i asked that question in an earlier post. TBH, after the wettest year on record since the 1860’s last year, that area of the park was pretty soft. We need a long period of dry weather really.
The sad thing is that if Lambeth Events spoke to any of the FoBP, they could tell the idiots that at least 1/3 of the park sits on a clay bed that doesn't allow water through, & that another third (Tulse Hill side) is a bog that gets saturated very easily. The only part of the park that drains well is the run along Norwood Road.
I found the above out, just from chatting to people at the community greenhouses etc. Obviously too much like hard work for the events team!

Well it's been raining on/off again this afternoon in Tulse Hill and presumably Brockwell Park too so that doesn't bode well for the festival happening

I’d be amazed if it doesn’t happen. The Regent is hosting an official after show party on Sunday night, 10-3am. That should go down well with the neighbours!!

The sad thing is that if Lambeth Events spoke to any of the FoBP, they could tell the idiots that at least 1/3 of the park sits on a clay bed that doesn't allow water through, & that another third (Tulse Hill side) is a bog that gets saturated very easily. The only part of the park that drains well is the run along Norwood Road.
I found the above out, just from chatting to people at the community greenhouses etc. Obviously too much like hard work for the events team!
Or, occam's razor, they just don't care

I’d be amazed if it doesn’t happen. The Regent is hosting an official after show party on Sunday night, 10-3am. That should go down well with the neighbours!!
ooo err. I hope the person on 'Brockwell Tranquility' who last week was absolutely furious at these ugly scenes of people standing on the pavement chatting doesnt live near the pub. :D

1717147829537.png

Well it's been raining on/off again this afternoon in Tulse Hill and presumably Brockwell Park too so that doesn't bode well for the festival happening
Raining again today. Not to a large extent, but it doesn't look like the conditions are great for evaporating any moisture. Tomorrow will all come down to whatever they have done to mitigate the rain.

As regards woodchip, I guess it is fairly easy to put it down, but how would they get it back up again?

Raining again today. Not to a large extent, but it doesn't look like the conditions are great for evaporating any moisture. Tomorrow will all come down to whatever they have done to mitigate the rain.

As regards woodchip, I guess it is fairly easy to put it down, but how would they get it back up again?
They don’t plan to get the wood chip up. It will get mashed into the ground. It’s really acidic too so will fuck the grass even more.

They used to grid out the entrances with steel sheeting or plywood. This is what happens when the council don't police the promoters to keep to the contract.
I think if they put steel or plywood down that would definitely kill all the grass that's what happened on clapham common when they had the Winterville festival, it took months for the grass to recover,don't think they've had it back since

I think if they put steel or plywood down that would definitely kill all the grass that's what happened on clapham common when they had the Winterville festival, it took months for the grass to recover,don't think they've had it back since
I used to enjoy that Winterville. Entrance was usually free and it was a good festive activity for all ages. I couldn't believe people moaned about it, it must have taken up about 5% of the total common :facepalm:.

It took nearly two years.

There are plastic platforms which you see at stadiums, presumably for only 3 or 4 days

Obviously those pitches are worth millions and don't get damaged.

If you're prepared to spend the money, the ground can be protected.

The Brockwell Live Team have invested in a series of different products which are designed to protect ground conditions, and prevent deterioration of the parks grass surface. In total we have now laid 20,000sqm of these different products, which include;
Pedestrian Walkover Panels, which are laid in a grid formation, at key high footfall areas, to prevent over wearing over the ground below.
Terram sheeting, which again acts as a barrier between heavy footfall, and soft ground conditions. This prevents the ground from being heavily disturbed below the surface, which protects the root bed of the grass below, as it prevents any potential churning. It also helps to prevent too much water penetrating the soil.
TuffTrack panels, on main thoroughfares and key routes across the site, which is vehicle friendly, to avoid any vehicles needing to drive on the grass, which is essential to mitigate against rutting.
Woodchip, with an under layer of terram, ensuring that the woodchip can be easily excavated from the surface, as it does not make direct contact with the ground.

Laying protective flooring over the softer areas of ground protects against churning, which ensures the grass, and it’s roots are not damaged from heavy footfall. It does of course have added benefit that it makes the surface more pedestrian friendly.

Terram is a brand name (similar to Dyson or Hoover) and is not one specific product. The type that we are using is designed to create a stable layer over soft foundations of soil. Although it is noted that these materials are sometimes used to kill weeds, it is important to note that Grass is an incredibly sturdy plant, and it would take in the region of 6-8 weeks for it to die, and be unrecoverable. We are working closely with the Lambeth Landscaping teams who are experts in green space protection and maintenance, and they have confirmed that they are happy with the products which we are using.

Following the events, an extensive set of restoration works will take place in the park, to help support the recovery of any damaged ground. This could include light chain harrowing, spring tining, and reseeding in places, although this full assessment and list of requirements has not yet been confirmed, as we will establish this in the coming days and weeks.

The Brockwell Live Team have invested in a series of different products which are designed to protect ground conditions, and prevent deterioration of the parks grass surface. In total we have now laid 20,000sqm of these different products, which include;
Pedestrian Walkover Panels, which are laid in a grid formation, at key high footfall areas, to prevent over wearing over the ground below.
Terram sheeting, which again acts as a barrier between heavy footfall, and soft ground conditions. This prevents the ground from being heavily disturbed below the surface, which protects the root bed of the grass below, as it prevents any potential churning. It also helps to prevent too much water penetrating the soil.
TuffTrack panels, on main thoroughfares and key routes across the site, which is vehicle friendly, to avoid any vehicles needing to drive on the grass, which is essential to mitigate against rutting.
Woodchip, with an under layer of terram, ensuring that the woodchip can be easily excavated from the surface, as it does not make direct contact with the ground.

Laying protective flooring over the softer areas of ground protects against churning, which ensures the grass, and it’s roots are not damaged from heavy footfall. It does of course have added benefit that it makes the surface more pedestrian friendly.

Terram is a brand name (similar to Dyson or Hoover) and is not one specific product. The type that we are using is designed to create a stable layer over soft foundations of soil. Although it is noted that these materials are sometimes used to kill weeds, it is important to note that Grass is an incredibly sturdy plant, and it would take in the region of 6-8 weeks for it to die, and be unrecoverable. We are working closely with the Lambeth Landscaping teams who are experts in green space protection and maintenance, and they have confirmed that they are happy with the products which we are using.

Following the events, an extensive set of restoration works will take place in the park, to help support the recovery of any damaged ground. This could include light chain harrowing, spring tining, and reseeding in places, although this full assessment and list of requirements has not yet been confirmed, as we will establish this in the coming days and weeks.
Where's this from, please?

It has been confirmed that Mighty Hoopla is going ahead.

I think it's the right decision, and hopefully they can minimise the damage to grass and soil, but I will be pissed off if they cancel the Country Show.

To provide effective protection Terram needs to be laid on soft ground before it's been utterly trashed. :facepalm:

This prevents the ground from being heavily disturbed below the surface, which protects the root bed of the grass below, as it prevents any potential churning.
Put on after the ground has been churned, it mostly protects the users from getting muddy.

It also helps to prevent too much water penetrating the soil.
The site is more or less the basin of a catchment area which has known drainage issues. Where do they think water will go?

Although it is noted that these materials are sometimes used to kill weeds, it is important to note that Grass is an incredibly sturdy plant, and it would take in the region of 6-8 weeks for it to die, and be unrecoverable.
Assuming it was put down on fresh healthy grass, i.e. before the grass, ground and rootbed have been heavily disturbed. :facepalm:

Whether it is "unrecoverable" or not is not really the point. No one is suggesting there will never be grass there again. The question is when will the festival site be available to locals in a genuinely park-like condition. Every year you can see that most of the areas covered by tracks remain pretty bare for the rest of the summer - even after rotovating and reseeding.

Back
Top Bottom