Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake, Field Day & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

Surprise surprise that a Facebook page set up specifically in objection to Brockwell Park's formal designation as a major commercial event venue and the ongoing proliferation of commercial events is seeing more activity as the park is steadily reduced to a wasteland. :facepalm:

It's in such a state that even Hoopla seem to be on the fence about whether they are going ahead next week.
I’m not surprised about Hoopla, i asked that question in an earlier post. TBH, after the wettest year on record since the 1860’s last year, that area of the park was pretty soft. We need a long period of dry weather really.

Surprised the council did not lift and impound cars. They make good money doing so.
Yeah they should have had extra wardens out and trucks ready to tow cars, with sizeable fines. Wankers parking everywhere like it sounds like they were i can sympathise with local residents about. These 1 day urban festivals are not meant to be driven to, unless absolutely necessary due to disabilities. Just fucking laziness and false entitlement otherwise.

There was wardens ticketing all sorts, mostly people on double yellows or blocking driveways and a lot of cars displayed blue badges. What it needed was the removal service they employ for the country show

I seem to recall that the first question asked at the first public meeting about Brockwell Parks designation as a major events venue (2018) was about exactly this. A rainy Field Day had reduced Finsbury Park to a mud bath the previous year. Much of the park had to be cordoned off for weeks after the festival and took months to fully recover. Particularly given the poor drainage in the proposed festival area, was this considered an acceptable risk and, if not, how was a repeat in Brockwell park to be avoided. The answer was along the lines of "we have a lot of experience and valuable lessons have been learned".
you've got your dates or your festivals mixed up.
Field Day's never been at Finsbury Park. was Victoria Park up until 2017 (and back there now it's subsumed into All Points East). 2018 in Brockwell as a one off.
it's Wireless at Finsbury Park back then (and still going).

did anyone else catch Byrne's Night as the closing act at Wide Awake?
they had a bunch of artists from earlier on the bill doing one cover each of Talking Heads songs. a total mess but a great vibe. a perfect festival that I probably wouldn't have gone to see as a regular gig but in the moment was great fun.
a shame to miss all but the last 20 mins of Gizard but I don't regret the choice.

There was wardens ticketing all sorts, mostly people on double yellows or blocking driveways and a lot of cars displayed blue badges. What it needed was the removal service they employ for the country show
They don’t care about pissing off attendees to the country show as they want it to wither on the vine. Pissing people off who paid cash to attend one of these festivals is a different matter.

you've got your dates or your festivals mixed up.
Field Day's never been at Finsbury Park. was Victoria Park up until 2017 (and back there now it's subsumed into All Points East).
Right festival and date. Muddling my parks. I should know better as I was at the 2017 one! But you know how it goes.. if you can remember it, etc ..

I was in the park for a run earlier and, it’s unrelated to the festivals, but I noticed standing water where the path meets the grass. The whole way from the lido / bmx track to the HH entrance. The ground is obviously sodden.

I was in the park for a run earlier and, it’s unrelated to the festivals, but I noticed standing water where the path meets the grass. The whole way from the lido / bmx track to the HH entrance. The ground is obviously sodden.
yep I've seen this earlier this year after some heavy rain.
I wonder if he basement flats on dulwich road are still prone to flooding.

They fucked up the park. Big time. And there's more to come. Why are they not doing these big festivals in Clapham Common? Or at least sharing the destruction?
Clapham is still a major event venue and issue afaik. The legal status of the parks are slightly different and Lambeth were shown to have broken the law on the common.

Back
Top Bottom