Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake, Field Day & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

Enjoyed WideAwake, plenty of good moments. It wasn't loud enough at points but Modeselektor in the Corsica tent were bangin at the end with a beautiful sunset over the city.
Terrible drink prices. Never seen Young Fathers before, quite a unique band.
It seems a lot quieter this year from the outside.

I find this incredibly annoying - admittedly we’re the Tulse Hill side but I’ve been able to enjoy the park just as usual this weekend walking our dog and it’s looking incredible.

Really think that some people that live close to the park don’t realise how much they benefit from that without having to contribute more than others.

The festivals are at most a minor convenience and help fund the park the park us locals benefit from disproportionately.

Edit: all the bits of the park she mentions in the article (walled garden, swans, bowls green) are all still accessible during the festivals.

Last edited:
Enjoyed WideAwake, plenty of good moments. It wasn't loud enough at points but Modeselektor in the Corsica tent were bangin at the end with a beautiful sunset over the city.
Terrible drink prices. Never seen Young Fathers before, quite a unique band.
I got frustrated with that stage, Helena Hauff was brilliant but nowhere near loud enough, could hear coked up people talking over the music. Fancied seeing Modeselektor but went for King Gizzard which was a nice ending to a good day out.

£6.95 for a can of Brewdog beer 😐. Perhaps more annoying was that the bar didn't give out tap water and they refused to give me a cup to go and fill up with water at the taps, even after asking at various different ones. A can of water was apparently over £3 which I wouldn't pay for on principal. Maybe serves me right for not bringing my own water receptacle though to be fair.

Great to see some top notch music in the park, nice crowd with not a wanker in sight (apart from maybe the sniffer dog handler). Well organised too.

Great to see some top notch music in the park, nice crowd with not a wanker in sight (apart from maybe the sniffer dog handler). Well organised too.
Once again I got picked out for a full search by an overconfident grunt who wasted 15 minutes of my time searching me to no avail.

I was surprised that he asked me to unbutton my jeans and feel along the top of my undies. I complied because I wanted to get in but this guide says:

Security guards don’t have the right to check a person’s underwear for hidden items as this can be considered assault.

As does this guide:

If you are searched, it must be compliant and based around surface area only – they cannot go under clothing to search. They are allowed to ask you to remove a coat/jacket/jumper, but that’s it.

They can search quite thoroughly – and well trained security staff are good at this. You will know how good they are when you are first “touched” – if they start with a collar check, you are probably meeting someone that has been trained by someone with a background in military, police or prison searches.

They are not allowed to touch genitals, but are allowed to “back hand” your buttocks/boobs – and also to run their hands up the insides of your legs. They will search by touch and will find stuff. If they ask you to empty pockets, etc – then just do it

The dog went for the chap in front of me which I was relieved about. That search sounds out of order and ought to be reported. I've known people who have been 'indicated' at Brockwell Park before and have had a 5 minute search through wallet, shoes etc, so anything more than that means the security guard was crossing the line for whatever reason.

The dog went for the chap in front of me which I was relieved about. That search sounds out of order and ought to be reported. I've known people who have been 'indicated' at Brockwell Park before and have had a 5 minute search through wallet, shoes etc, so anything more than that means the security guard was crossing the line for whatever reason.
It's so fucking boring. They take one look at me and all their prejudices rise to the surface.

I find this incredibly annoying - admittedly we’re the Tulse Hill side but I’ve been able to enjoy the park just as usual this weekend walking our dog and it’s looking incredible.

Really think that some people that live close to the park don’t realise how much they benefit from that without having to contribute more than others.

The festivals are at most a minor convenience and help fund the park the park us locals benefit from disproportionately.

Edit: all the bits of the park she mentions in the article (walled garden, swans, bowls green) are all still accessible during the festivals.
not seen any bowling in years, and most of the green is missing on there

The article mentioned volleyball there which I’ve never seen - that tends to be on the basketball court which is also still available during the festivals.
yes, south americans do use it for this at times in the summer.
it is outside the fenced off areas though as you said.

So yes, the entrances are now a quagmire so that’s not going to be pretty. I wonder if the site is trashed and with more rain forecast whether mighty hoopla might get moved of stopped? One thing I’ve noticed today is how accessible city splash is, never seen so many badly parked cars with blue badges!!

• Wow
Reactions: CH1
So yes, the entrances are now a quagmire so that’s not going to be pretty. I wonder if the site is trashed and with more rain forecast whether mighty hoopla might get moved of stopped? One thing I’ve noticed today is how accessible city splash is, never seen so many badly parked cars with blue badges!!
The impression I got from the moaners on Twitter was that folk driving to City Splash and parking like arseholes seems to be a much bigger issue compared to the other events.

They wouldn't be able to move Mighty Hoopla and I would hope a bit of mud wouldn't mean it's cancellation, even if the event isn't really my bag.

Parking and security concerns for City Splash in 2023 were raised in the Officer report ahead of the granting of a licence for this year:

"Traffic and illegal parking was discussed during the technical assessment phase of the application process. City Splash in particular was a concern when it came to traffic issues in 2023."

Plus:

"Requirement for more security at City Splash."

It was all getting a little tense around the north entrance. Appeared to be quite a few ticketless people were testing the barriers and fence. Quite a few security there but not much of a police presence. Fingers crossed it’s all fine. We don’t want another academy situation

Parking and security concerns for City Splash in 2023 were raised in the Officer report ahead of the granting of a licence for this year:

"Traffic and illegal parking was discussed during the technical assessment phase of the application process. City Splash in particular was a concern when it came to traffic issues in 2023."

Plus:

"Requirement for more security at City Splash."
because today is a bank holiday, you’ve got the same parking restrictions as a Sunday so Norwood Road is completely bumper to bumper.

I guess there are also fewer traffic wardens out also.

It was all getting a little tense around the north entrance. Appeared to be quite a few ticketless people were testing the barriers and fence. Quite a few security there but not much of a police presence. Fingers crossed it’s all fine. We don’t want another academy situation
I’ve just been for a walk. The Brockwell Hall entrance is closed. Only the one by the Lido is open. They’re making people queue and the place is swamped with police.

Plenty of people outside the fence enjoying a drink and listening to the music.

Anyone leaving is covered in mud.

Back
Top Bottom