Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

I went last year and didn't feel the fence had massively changed the atmosphere inside, but would much rather the fence was not there.

I can understand that the fence might be something forced on Lambeth by their insurers.

I can also imagine that Lambeth are too useless just to shop around and find an insurer that doesn't impose such conditions, though.

I went last year and didn't feel the fence had massively changed the atmosphere inside, but would much rather the fence was not there.

I can understand that the fence might be something forced on Lambeth by their insurers.

I can also imagine that Lambeth are too useless just to shop around and find an insurer that doesn't impose such conditions, though.
between '17 and '18 the insurance cost went up 48%, but it was still only 8 grand. I find it hard to believe an insurer could insist the costs of eg traffic management should go up from 7 to 47k :eek: or impose fence + security costs of an additional 110k or so.

yes. I didn't go either.

Since they started calling themselves a Co-operative Council in 2010 or so they've managed to more than double the overall costs while halving the attendance and seeing the satisfaction levels plummet. They're good, aren't they.
I went and it had lost most of its charm. I've been a huge supporter of the Country Show but this is the first year I'm considering not going. Last year felt more like a faceless themed corporate festival.

between '17 and '18 the insurance cost went up 48%, but it was still only 8 grand. I find it hard to believe an insurer could insist the costs of eg traffic management should go up from 7 to 47k :eek: or impose fence + security costs of an additional 110k or so.

I find it perfectly believable - it's like when you are looking for buildings insurance, some insurers will have conditions that would be stupidly expensive to comply with. But the solution is usually to find another insurer.

Yep we didn’t go. One of the big attractions was being able to wander in and out freely. It used to be such a great event for all of the community but families on low incomes who can longer bring drinks in are being priced out.

All the stuff about insurance is bollox.

Tbh I really don't understand Progress led Lambeth the Cooperative Council

The Council have opposed any FOI requests so that residents can have informed opinion.

Its because of the Green party Cllrs that residents have info. And that does not shed the Cops in a good light.

As teuchter posted the Country Fair was not about making a profit. It was a community event bringing all sections of the community together.

Something that the capitalist evaluation of profit and loss does not cater for.

The Lambeth country fair was example of community cohesion. This can't be measured in monetary terms.

Just three days to go on this if you haven't done so already.

Have your say on how we [Lambeth] manage events in our parks and open spaces.

Im slightly pissed so won't fill it in today.

At least I can look through the questions now. It used to be that one could not. I did complain about this a while back.

After reading the questions I would say put strongly disagree to all of them.

They are leading questions. Take this:

In order to try and diversify events income and reduce the pressure on grassed areas, we are proposing to devote more time and effort to marketing non-grass areas such as in and around buildings, town squares and on parts of unused all-weather sports pitches.

This means more corporate bollox on Windrush square.

None of the questions is to be trusted. Ticking agree will be used by Council officers to do what they want.

So if as many people as possible just tick strongly disagree to all questions it will fuck up the results that these questions are guiding people to.

Its also quicker to tick (fuck you council officer) strongly disagree to all questions.

Interesting how the opinions of those on the East Dulwich forum seem a lot more pragmatic about the upcoming Gala/Jam on the Rye festival on Peckham Rye, compared to those of The Friends of Brockwell Park about festivals held within.

The East Dulwich Forum

Although i dont know the size of Gala compared to the programmed festivals in Brockwell Park this summer, i do get that they are 2 different scenarios in many ways. However, i found the majority of the comments on the above thread quite refreshing compared to the vitriol that was thrown around about Field Day and will likely continue about Mighty Hoopla etc this year.

They still fucked up the park on the Rye - great big deep tyre tracks as they decided to derig when the ground was wet.

the EDF is a funny place - not unlike here - but the people who were vociferous in their complaints about the festival now work directly with the local councilllors on it, less so online.

Ps Mighty Hoopla & Field Day have yet to release some of the promised HH neighbourood grants.

It's also less time on Peckham Rye - 12 days, and is a smaller footprint in a corner area of the park. So like comparing apples to oranges.

They still fucked up the park on the Rye - great big deep tyre tracks as they decided to derig when the ground was wet.

the EDF is a funny place - not unlike here - but the people who were vociferous in their complaints about the festival now work directly with the local councilllors on it, less so online.

Ps Mighty Hoopla & Field Day have yet to release some of the promised HH neighbourood grants.

It's also less time on Peckham Rye - 12 days, and is a smaller footprint in a corner area of the park. So like comparing apples to oranges.
Some of them like to complain about Dulwich Hamlet too. Even the noise of the crowd upsets some of them.

And as you say, the festival site on Peckham Rye is miles smaller.

It's back!

great-wall-brockwell-2019-06.jpg

In photos: The Great Wall of Brockwell Park is back for summer 2019

Seemed a bit chaotic in its organisation - Sniffer dogs and clueless security on day 2! Plus they messed up lots of stage times and changed stage names at the last minute. The thing about festival sound checks is that you don't get them, but the engineer should have some sense of what the band needs in advance. They didn't seem to bother so both the Children of Zeus and Steam Down sets started with ten minutes of each band asking for the stage pa to be adjusted so they could hear themselves (each band was there for 20 mins before their stage time, whilst the sound engineer played tunes off his ipad). Not exactly interesting for the audience.

Slightly confused by why Chaka didn't play her latest single, as her band sound checked with it on Sunday morning.

Even more embarrising was the group of security guards walking up to anyone smoking rollies demanding they hand it over to them to sniff/check.
I asked one for directions to a particular stage. They didn't know, so I asked them the direction to the nearest fire exit - cue lots of head scratching and spinning around...

Cheers - I've updated the page now. I was waiting for them to write to me, but they didn't!

No worries.

I drink with one of the guys who is organising the marketing. I shall chastise him. (Although I would imagine he's been laid off as he is a freelancer which probably explains it).

I was probably going to come down for it as well, next time!

Back
Top Bottom