Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

I'm not sure whether it was because I hadn't been to an outdoor music event for 2 years, but I ended up having a blinder in that park yesterday, mainly due to the big red dance tent. I was expecting some uninteresting yet cool, trendy minimal tech but instead was treated to some pounding hard house by the lady who was on before Daniel Avery which was tremendous. Most people in the crowd giving it some welly too, rather than just standing there looking confused. Daniel Avery was brilliant afterwards with plenty of trippy lights and lasers.

Wasn't too chuffed to see the excessive use of sniffer dogs though. The only other time I've seen such targeted use is when visiting prison. I'm not sure whether it was the Police/councils instruction or the security company flexing their muscles (hire us for you event we have response, dogs etc etc) but I find it intrusive and unnecessary.

Pics here

In photos: Wide Awake Festival in Brockwell Park, south London

I drove through Brixton last night about 10:20pm and was startled by the thousands and thousands of people swarming all over the place, all dressed up and many in sparkly/spangly clothes.

Would that have been this event ending?

Initially, I just thought it was people heading to a club, but there was SO many people and for such a long time, that it had to be something major going on.

Felt a bit surreal to someone like me who doesn't get out much (at all!) these days anyway. It felt like it used to be to get tangled up with a football crowd back in the day, but with football colours replaced with sequins.

I drove through Brixton last night about 10:20pm and was startled by the thousands and thousands of people swarming all over the place, all dressed up and many in sparkly/spangly clothes.

Initially, I just thought it was people heading to a club, but there was SO many people and for such a long time, that it had to be something major going on.

Felt a bit surreal to someone like me who doesn't get out much (at all!) these days anyway. It felt like it used to be to get tangled up with a football crowd back in the day, but with football colours replaced with sequins.
Yep. I don't think you can find a crowd less like a football crowd!

I'm a bit gutted I was out of the area last night because it sounds like it was a great atmosphere all round.

Photos from Cross The Tracks

In photos: Cross The Tracks festival in Brockwell Park

This band were fucking awesome!

ooh, when were that and what was you called ?

Myself and my mates played there at an Alabama 3 after party and were invited to be part of the new line up replacing the original resident.

We were residents first Saturday of the month for around 5 years from 96 - 01ish. Timescales are approximate...no names, no pack drill. Night was called PACT. 'Cos it was.

I do find it interesting that I got some friction for playing there BITD after I had been a bit of a feature of various Brixton warehouse parties and Brady's etc. but now it's considered propah Brixton. :D I guess the departure of the Merritts may have something to do with this. I still played at the "real" places for little or fuck all. Loved all of it, would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I have some mixes on Mixcloud that capture the atmosphere but the mixing reflects the time of night, ambitious and fucked. :D It sounds great when you're in the big room (probly) but the recording shows warts and all.

eta: do we need a Dogstar thread? Plenty gone on there over the years, might be a good place to deposit photo's, mixes etc.

Last edited:
It's how most bars judge the 'success' of an event in my long experience of putting on events. No idea what 'adjustments' are supposed to be made to this simple formula, tbh.
er, inflation? Prices always go up, bar records are always beaten.

Back
Top Bottom