Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

Myself and my mates played there at an Alabama 3 after party and were invited to be part of the new line up replacing the original resident.

We were residents first Saturday of the month for around 5 years from 96 - 01ish. Timescales are approximate...no names, no pack drill. Night was called PACT. 'Cos it was.

I do find it interesting that I got some friction for playing there BITD after I had been a bit of a feature of various Brixton warehouse parties and Brady's etc. but now it's considered propah Brixton. :D I guess the departure of the Merritts may have something to do with this. I still played at the "real" places for little or fuck all. Loved all of it, would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I have some mixes on Mixcloud that capture the atmosphere but the mixing reflects the time of night, ambitious and fucked. :D It sounds great when you're in the big room (probly) but the recording shows warts and all.

eta: do we need a Dogstar thread? Plenty gone on there over the years, might be a good place to deposit photo's, mixes etc.

thank you I would definitely have been in the dog when you played, memories are blurry, there was some good sessions, lol Hammond, joe egg, larry love karaoke, Weatherall now and again but I had a bit of a problem with the place so I wouldn’t be the person to start a thread on it....

er, inflation? Prices always go up, bar records are always beaten.

...and more affluent punters, less pints, more cocktails and more bottles of the fizzy stuff.

er, inflation? Prices always go up, bar records are always beaten.

I really can't be arsed with this ludicrous nit-picking. Bar records are not always beaten - that's why so many pubs close.

FYI: The bar has only been under new ownership for a year and a half, but my night took substantially more (we're talking thousands) than the previous best event. So let me enjoy that, eh? It doesn't happen often.

I really can't be arsed with this ludicrous nit-picking. Bar records are not always beaten - that's why so many pubs close.

FYI: The bar has only been under new ownership for a year and a half, but my night took substantially more (we're talking thousands) than the pervious best event. So let me enjoy that, eh? It doesn't happen often.
I wasn't having a go. I'm sure it was very successful.

FYI: The bar has only been under new ownership for a year and a half, but my night took substantially more (we're talking thousands) than the pervious best event. So let me enjoy that, eh? It doesn't happen often.
Can't be arsed but just let me state one more time how successful my night was.
lol.
Ok Ed.

thank you I would definitely have been in the dog when you played, memories are blurry, there was some good sessions, lol Hammond, joe egg, larry love karaoke, Weatherall now and again but I had a bit of a problem with the place so I wouldn’t be the person to start a thread on it....

...and more affluent punters, less pints, more cocktails and more bottles of the fizzy stuff.

yeah especially at the moment - there's been a big increase in prices post covid

Yes it was successful. I worked really hard at it and I'm chuffed that it did so well. And it's made even better that it seems to rile you so much.

Are you going to explain your earlier comment about the Effra or are you just going to continue to snipe away in your usual pathetic fashion?
Rile ? Because I pointed something out? Righto.

There is absolutely no point in engaging with you about the Effra because the bias you have for it due to them employing you to play there.

'You worked really hard' - good.
i would be really surprised if it wasn't a record breaking weekend for establishments around Brockwell due to the events in the park. You'd have to be a fucking cretin if you couldn't take advantage of the influx due to said events.

Pub on main drag from festival site has a bumper weekend - shocker.

Rile ? Because I pointed something out? Righto.

There is absolutely no point in engaging with you about the Effra because the bias you have for it due to them employing you to play there.

'You worked really hard' - good.
i would be really surprised if it wasn't a record breaking weekend for establishments around Brockwell due to the events in the park. You'd have to be a fucking cretin if you couldn't take advantage of the influx due to said events.

Pub on main drag from festival site has a bumper weekend - shocker.

Landlord scum going on about working hard. LOL.

Last edited:
Another edit but we'll move on.
The issues I've had with Effra have been passed on to relevant people and Portobello and don't need to be made public on the forum.
Piss all over your thread - nonsense. Stop being so sensitive.
What i do for a living has nothing to do with anyone - you just want to know that information as something to attack.

'A keyboard warrior'- you are the one throwing insults Ed

'Exploit for profit' - now that is laughable.

Another edit but we'll move on.
The issues I've had with Effra have been passed on to relevant people and Portobello and don't need to be made public on the forum.
Piss all over your thread - nonsense. Stop being so sensitive.
What i do for a living has nothing to do with anyone - you just want to know that information as something to attack.

'A keyboard warrior'- you are the one throwing insults Ed

'Exploit for profit' - now that is laughable.
You've pretty much ruined this thread with your spiteful pettiness, and I'm not going to let your personal vendetta continue to disrupt any further threads.

We're both on mutual ignore from now on, so that means you don't respond to, comment on, quote or interact with me in any way.

Wide Awake - Saturday 28th May 2022
Mighty Hoopla - Friday 3rd June & Saturday 4th June 2022
Cross The Tracks - Sunday 5th June 2022

So it's definitely two weekends of festivals next summer, with free community events in the week inbetween. This is what they'd planned to do in 2020, then scaled back due to Covid. Does anyone know what the new festivals being added on Friday 27th May and Sunday 29th May are going to be?

Fat White Family to headline next year!

263741667_10159589776481341_2544890548480646611_n.jpg

Keen on the Friday at wide awake.
Although not so sure about the claim on the website: "Primal Scream headline, playing an iconic album that’s had an influence on many of the acts on our bill. It’s also the first time they’ve played Screamadelica in full live for the first time in a decade."

Pretty sure they played it at Ally Pally in September (well - at least, mates asked us if we wanted to buy tickets with them )

Back
Top Bottom