Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

That fence really spoils the park. Anyone know when its coming down?
My very personal grump about it is that it’s in the way of my normal cycle to and from work. :mad:;)

More broadly I’ve previously been pretty accepting of the paid festivals but a 9 day block really did seem a bit too much this time, particularly for those who live very near by (I could still hear it two streets and half a park away).

I went yesterday. Cross The Tracks was way busier than the last one and had sold out. Joy Crookes was fantastic again, but I thought the last band were hugely disappointing.

Drink prices were ridiculously steep and there was huge queues for food. Nice day out though.

Who was the last band?

How much was a beer?

Drink prices seem to have got up a lot everywhere in the last year.
You could get a 440ml can of Red Stripe for £5.95, and whilst this is still expensive, only 20p more than last year which doesn't seem to bad. I've heard that festivals in other London parks are much worse!

Yep. They seemed a really weird choice for headliners. No songs, barely any singing, just mid tempo, twangy psychedelic instrumental bits of songs.

And I later learnt one of those up-their-own-arse bands that demand that any live photos must be approved by their management before publication in media or on socials.

Oh that's a shame. I really like their music. But I had heard they are not great in big festivals, better in small venues so I didn't get a ticket.

Glad I didn't now
Yeah I could see how they might work in a small venue but I thought they were incredibly dull in a big open field. Joy Crookes completely blew them off stage.

My very personal grump about it is that it’s in the way of my normal cycle to and from work. :mad:;)

More broadly I’ve previously been pretty accepting of the paid festivals but a 9 day block really did seem a bit too much this time, particularly for those who live very near by (I could still hear it two streets and half a park away).
didn't mind the noise and the crowds of young people walking by in their finery were a nice sight.

Now Lambeth give us our park back!

Inflation?
At wide awake I thought the prices at the craft beer section were reasonable (for a festival) at 6.50 per pint. I have certainly paid more in other places
So the prices have increased by 25p in the last 2 weeks, if they are now 6.75

Inflation?
At wide awake I thought the prices at the craft beer section were reasonable (for a festival) at 6.50 per pint. I have certainly paid more in other places
So the prices have increased by 25p in the last 2 weeks, if they are now 6.75
I didn't buy any of the pints, due to the cans of Red Stripe being better value (i think), but i think the price varied from stall to stall. Perhaps the more 'craft' that went into it meant it cost more!

I was at 'Brockley Max' on the weekend, a small community thing on Hilly Fields (Lewisham) and Brockley Brewery were there selling all pints for £5, and had a big queue even though there was no fence. Horrified to hear of the £6.60 for a 330ml can at Gala, a mile or two down the road.

Photos from Sunday's Cross The Tracks festival:

In photos: Cross The Tracks Festival in Brockwell park, Sun 5th June 2022

Are you on commission?
Wish I was, but no

I am merely a local who likes that kind of music.
I thought that 2022 was excellent (blown speaker stack aside), I had a great time, saw some great bands and thought it was good (or at least reasonable) value, in comparison to what you would pay to attend some other 1 dayers

ETA in an idea world of course, this would all be a side act to an unfenced and free Country Show

Was considering going to Wide Awake this year, which has a cracking lineup - but something else has come up that weekend.

Lambeth hands over the management of the Country Show to a private contractor:

oh dear.

To be honest, its a bit shit now with the fence etc. Saturday is boring, the music is crap and the main decent thing about it- getting drunk in the sunny park with your mates, has been taken away somewhat because you are made to buy £6+ pints which soon adds up to silly amounts. They even try and skank you for another £1 every time you get a refill and dont have a cup for whatever reason, also you cant smuggle booze in as they wave a wand over everybody in case some fucking dickhead tries to bring in a knife.

Sunday is much, much better but was relatively quiet last year in terms of crowd.

Its a shame Lambeth have made such a mess of this, it was something really unique which i would never miss after last years i wouldnt be too fussed in future.

Unfortunately the country fair is suffering from Entropy and I fear is in a death spiral (although , still struggling on , thankfully)

Bets are on whether it will just fold if the private contractor can't balance the books, or whether it will be paid entry

Have loved it for 30+ years, but sadly it is slowly dying from neglect

4B8E05F3-3DF6-4C49-BEEC-9B31CDCF5191.jpeg
Here’s the timetable for the park events. It doesn’t account for the build and take down. That’s gotta add a couple more weeks of disruption.

Back
Top Bottom