Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

Firstly, sorry for the atrocious spelling last night, I blame it on the Valerian, but then speelung never been good me, etc Lots of maps to pour over here http://www.reading.ac.uk/archaeolog...ts_files/Museum_nan_Eilean_talk_July_2012.pdf
1615282031295.png
The latest of these , Sheridan 2010, neglects any notion of anyone getting to Orkney at all,odd given that only 1 year early other researchers hade proposed a full bi-directional highway - thats the true fun of prehistory, endless speculation. The sail may not yet have been invented but paddles and oars still popular with the Romans, were being used, unlike stone, they do not survive, we have few example of neolithic boats but:- Ancient Genomes Indicate Population Replacement in Early Neolithic Britain - an analysis of farmer arrivals based on genomic studies absed on marker distribution from the original Western Hunter Gatherer(WHG) and later populations. Its v dense and technical, but worth the time ploughing through if you can -well I suspect, as I tried but was unable to really fully understabd, good luck - they do kindly present summaries though :thumbs: :cool:

"The six British Mesolithic genomes examined here are typical of WHGs, indicating that this population spread to the furthest northwestern point of early Holocene Europe after moving from southeastern Europe, or further east, from approximately 12,000 BCE17. This genetic similarity among British and European Mesolithic individuals spans a period in Britain (ca. 8,500-4,000 BCE) that includes the cultural transition to the Late Mesolithic and the separation of Britain from continental Europe. Our analyses indicate that the appearance of Neolithic practices and domesticates in Britain ca. 4,000 BCE was mediated overwhelmingly by immigration of farmers from continental Europe12, and strongly reject the hypothesised adoption of farming by indigenous hunter-gatherers as the main process3. British farmers were substantially descended from Iberian Neolithic-related populations whose ancestors had expanded along a Mediterranean route6, 11, although with a minority portion of their ancestry from populations who took the Danubian route12. The affinities we find between Neolithic individuals from the British Isles and modern individuals from France are consistent with populations sharing ancestry with Neolithic groups in Iberia moving into northern France via the Atlantic seaboard and/or southern France, mixing to a limited degree with Neolithic populations from Central Europe before travelling across the Channel12, 30.

One explanation for the British Neolithic cline in WHG ancestry is that a single population moved across Britain from a western entry point, and progressively admixed with local hunter-gatherers. This scenario is consistent with the western distribution of megalithic cultures along the Atlantic seaboard31, and is supported by the radiocarbon evidence suggesting a marginally earlier date for the arrival of ANF ancestry in the west of Britain1 "

There is a wealth of verifiable reseach for the expansion of the orig farmer thru the Med by boat, plus many many megalithic sites in Spain and Portugal to mark their passing. The continuity of purpose with reference to religious sites is fairly well established, we currently lack the proof, but I suspect continuity of travel routes - much like animal migrations - the common mememory of these routes could last thousands of years and perhaps explain the presence of cultural and language similarities dotted along the West Coast from Galicia, Britany, Cornwall, that are prtially mutually intelligble today. Anyway, enough propaganda for my own obsession

View attachment 255335

Just watched the first episode of this and thought it was quite interesting. Loved Packhams bits as always. Not sure I can agree on Neil surely he's just the presenter with direction given by the findings.

I was trying to work out if this was before or after doggerland was gone so will need to Google that. The findings seem really amazing to me but I'm easily impressed especially when I start thinking of timescales.

Stanton Drew near Bristol Airport is realllllly worth going to.

Loads of interesting sites on Menorca too.

Ahhhh... something to look forward to.

Going to Avebury in mid June!
Will be in the area for two days - any recommendations for some walking nearby for the second day?
I think the four on the NT site will cover you nicely - Walking in the Avebury landscape

We extended the Silbury walk a bit by doing some of the Ridgeway first. Time it right and you come around the corner to see the hill rising up like a growing womb, Mother Earth about to spread her goodness. Tis great on a sunny day. Maybe nip over to the Churhill White Horse too, there are some good strolls round there.

Bad news for the Tomb of the Otters. Always a long way away, the visitor centre and thus the Tomb itself, looks likely to close due to covid. I suspect (hope) that the council wont let it, as it is a major draw for travelling down across several of the islands, boosting the whole area. But it aint looking promising at the moment.

this was a great tip, thank you! really enjoyed my visit to north wessex, and this was a highlight
by luck we timed it just right so the downs around there were covered in these wonderful Adonis blue butterflys that had just come out
adonis.jpeg
loved the landscape around here - huge skys
feild.jpeg
followed that with a walk down to The Barge pub on the canal which is a ciderdelic hangout with what looked like a fun campsite

avebury circle is indisputably an amazing site, but i cant say i loved it particularly - the road and village spoils it for me. the stones are huge ones and impressive, and the importance of the site is clear, but the thing that i enjoy about these megalthic sites is the setting as much as anything

west kennet long barrow absolutely had that though, that was a wonderful place - beautiful location with a 360 panorama, made all the more magical by a sole swallow (?) that was darting around at the mouth of the chambers and occasionally even flying into it

also got to set foot on the Ridgeway - the "oldest road in britain" - enjoyed that immensely - really want to go back and walk more of that. its all in the mind, but felt like a great way to connect to the past, literally walking in the footsteps. i was quite moved! took in a couple of hill forts too

north wesssex aonb, amazing place, definitely going back,

eta; these big landscapes around solstice are amazing - the long days, the sun so high in the sky, directly above even, June is a great month to be there

Last edited:
this was a great tip, thank you! really enjoyed my visit to north wessex, and this was a highlight
by luck we timed it just right so the downs around there were covered in these wonderful Adonis blue butterflys that had just come out
View attachment 272865
loved the landscape around here - huge skys
View attachment 272866
followed that with a walk down to The Barge pub on the canal which is a ciderdelic hangout with what looked like a fun campsite

avebury circle is indisputably an amazing site, but i cant say i loved it particularly - the road and village spoils it for me. the stones are huge ones and impressive, and the importance of the site is clear, but the thing that i enjoy about these megalthic sites is the setting as much as anything

west kennet long barrow absolutely had that though, that was a wonderful place - beautiful location with a 360 panorama, made all the more magical by a sole swallow (?) that was darting around at the mouth of the chambers and occasionally even flying into it

also got to set foot on the Ridgeway - the "oldest road in britain" - enjoyed that immensely - really want to go back and walk more of that. its all in the mind, but felt like a great way to connect to the past, literally walking in the footsteps. i was quite moved! took in a couple of hill forts too

north wesssex aonb, amazing place, definitely going back,

eta; these big landscapes around solstice are amazing - the long days, the sun so high in the sky, directly above even, June is a great month to be there
Yep, West Kennet long barrow and Avebury was pretty much where my obsession started. :thumbs:

If you like a good prehistoric location I recommend climbing Silbury Hill near Avebury too. You're not supposed to and there's a fence around it but ffs it's thousands of years old and people have been climbing it all that time. It's literally a hill and they've never found any other features on it that could be damaged.

I recently went to the Kilmore Standing Stones site on the Isle of Mull. It used to be in conifer plantation and some people say it was more atmospheric when they stood in a forest clearing. But I suspect when built it stood in open country, and I enjoyed the location despite the fact they never bothered to clear away all the stumps etc.

If you're interested in standing stones in Devon it's well worth checking out the Oxenham Arms in South Zeal. A former mediaeval monastery it contains two standing stones, one built into the wall in one of the rooms and another propping up a beam, iirc. Haven't been there for some years, but the food used to be pretty good too.

If you like a good prehistoric location I recommend climbing Silbury Hill near Avebury too. You're not supposed to and there's a fence around it but ffs it's thousands of years old and people have been climbing it all that time. It's literally a hill and they've never found any other features on it that could be damaged.
went the other day...didnt climb it though - too steep tbh!

this video is excellent (apart from the voiceovers intonation!)- first half is a summarisation of what is known, the second a convincing theory about the hills relation to springs

friend recommends this as an incredible spot, 360 views

in the lakes
the walk over High Rigg to Castlerigg is one of my very favourites. You get brilliant views of thousands of years of human history and even more years of geological change. And a fucking groovy stone circle at the end of it.

High Rigg walk - Castlerigg Stone Circle - Lake District walks - is a pretty good description. If you do want to come back to where you started from there's a nice walk along with valley to return by.

Back
Top Bottom