Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

Nice - hard to spot where you are though particularly with a bit of a patchwork for a lot of the country.

Eta - hadn't noticed how far in you can zoom :cool: am looking forward to when they do my area too, will be able to see house by house.

that is weird. goes up and down hill, the angles, very odd.

sometimes i think ive spotted a group of burial mounds or something, then i look on google and they are grain silos on a farm.

Blimey that Lidar map is extraordinary! Even better than the aerial mapping someone on here posted from 1944.There is a lot of Ridge and Furrow in my area the pattern it makes and where it starts and quite abruptly stops seen from this great height is absolutely fascinating.I'm having that image on my wall!

Blimey that Lidar map is extraordinary! Even better than the aerial mapping someone on here posted from 1944.There is a lot of Ridge and Furrow in my area the pattern it makes and where it starts and quite abruptly stops seen from this great height is absolutely fascinating.I'm having that image on my wall!
i mentioned lidar maps back in january in this post, all roads lead to sedgley
i thought this was wide enough dissemination for everyone in the country to have cottoned on but it seems i was too subtle so this time i provided a picture.
mind blowing innit!

i was trying to locate the place where iron was smelted with coal for the first time by dud dudley in lower gornal. the furnace was said to be smashed up by angry locals in a riot and as my ancestors were riotous angry locals at the time i thought it would be interesting to know but i couldnt locate anything.

View attachment 255335

This Orkney thing is really interesting
Key points:
Working theory seems to be that the Orkney stoneworks and megaliths are the original ones on these islands - dated to 3,500 BC
Stone circle 'cult' spreads south from there.
Peoples involved in this seem to have come over from the land now known as Belgium - not clear to me if they were coming over for regular ritual or settled
The weather in Orkney was much milder in those times

Why Orkney? Why traipse all the way there?
Well it is a beautiful., magical spot for sure, especially so on the Ness of Brodgar spot they chose
maxresdefault.jpg

But heres something I made up: if you were going by boat from Belgium, hugging the east cost of Britain, Orkney would basically be the end of the world - if you kept going north after that, you're going out into the north atlantic abyss. It would've felt like the precipice of Europe

I fell asleep in episode 2 so will rewatch but last thing i heard was also something about mass graves with endless head injuries - Im interested to know how violent these ancestors were

Is that programme the Neil Oliver one ska invita ?

I enjoyed it but it got a bit of a slating on my little corner of Twitter. There's a school of thought out there that thinks Neil wants everything to originate from Scotland even if the evidence doesn't really add up. :D

I don't know either way tbh but he attracts a fair bit of eyebrow-raising. Archaeologists can be a fierce bunch :D

Nice - hard to spot where you are though particularly with a bit of a patchwork for a lot of the country.

Eta - hadn't noticed how far in you can zoom :cool: am looking forward to when they do my area too, will be able to see house by house.
There's a few gaps still for our neck of the woods. Probably just as well tbh - I've enough to go at just using the megalithic portal.

Is that programme the Neil Oliver one ska invita ?

I enjoyed it but it got a bit of a slating on my little corner of Twitter. There's a school of thought out there that thinks Neil wants everything to originate from Scotland even if the evidence doesn't really add up. :D

I don't know either way tbh but he attracts a fair bit of eyebrow-raising. Archaeologists can be a fierce bunch :D
yes, Neil is one of the presenters, though I just presumed the BBC flew him in to say what he was told, though you may be right about his personal enthusiasm

The key thing here is the carbon dating to 3,500BC, whereas 3,000BC seems to be the real big era of construction across the rest of british isles. The voiceover made a point of reminding us the 500 years is a long time, and its easy to think yeah its all a long time ago and all roughly the same time

I think the 3.500BC date was for the houses and temple, rather than stone circles.
looking at wiki
that circle is dated 3,100BC, and it does say " This may be the oldest henge site in the British Isles. "

I think Neil OIivers personal enthusiasm aside, you cant argue much with carbon dating.

Though earlier stone circles were built in northern europe by another 2,000 years even, which kind of matches this evidence of "belgians" going up to orkney to build the ones there.

Last edited:
yes, Neil is one of the presenters, though I just presumed the BBC flew him in to say what he was told, though you may be right about his personal enthusiasm

The key thing here is the carbon dating to 3,500BC, whereas 3,000BC seems to be the real big era of construction across the rest of british isles. The voiceover made a point of reminding us the 500 years is a long time, and its easy to think yeah its all a long time ago and all roughly the same time

I think the 3.500BC date was for the houses and temple, rather than stone circles.
looking at wiki
that circle is dated 3,100BC, and it does say " This may be the oldest henge site in the British Isles. "

I think Neil OIivers personal enthusiasm aside, you cant argue much with carbon dating.

Though earlier stone circles were built in northern europe by another 2,000 years even, which kind of matches this evidence of "belgians" going up to orkney to build the ones there.
I thought Castlerigg was meant to be older still. A couple of hundred years or so, but don't quote me on that. I don't know if that's a carbon dating figure or just an estimate though.

Another one I'd love to visit.

This Orkney thing is really interesting
Key points:
Working theory seems to be that the Orkney stoneworks and megaliths are the original ones on these islands - dated to 3,500 BC
Stone circle 'cult' spreads south from there.
Peoples involved in this seem to have come over from the land now known as Belgium - not clear to me if they were coming over for regular ritual or settled
The weather in Orkney was much milder in those times

Why Orkney? Why traipse all the way there?
Well it is a beautiful., magical spot for sure, especially so on the Ness of Brodgar spot they chose
maxresdefault.jpg

But heres something I made up: if you were going by boat from Belgium, hugging the east cost of Britain, Orkney would basically be the end of the world - if you kept going north after that, you're going out into the north atlantic abyss. It would've felt like the precipice of Europe

Will dig the sources out tomorrow, but the hypothesis of sea faring types from what is currently Belgium establishing The Ness seem unlikely as there is no megalith/standing stone/doleman culture in that part of continetal Europe, but there are in Brittany, earliest seem to be c3.8k bc, v sim ones also appear in Pembroke c.3.4/6k bc - the sea route up and down the west coast has been well established/known about as a migration path for many years - given the difficulty of navigating up the East Coast and the presence of standing stone, barrow etc cultures on both sides of the Irish sea in around the same time period, it seems much more likely Brodgar was already a piligrimage site - the feasting evidence alone justifies the notion it was not just for locals - before the Walloon moles turned up - pos delicacy to add to the pig and cattle? The majority of Britains stone monuments are on the west coat, equally many of the finds associated show cultural links, kind of pottery, some funery rites, etc. The Western Isles seen to have had fairly dense populations in the neolithic, the water was the highway and all along it were stone age places to stop en route. I saw these progs first time round, seemed convincing but more recent work seem to cleave to the Westerly route more. Passing reference to the density of stone monuments in the MPP vid for a primarily Welsh language channel - equally note the time scale of when he says the megalith qaurries were open there -

Message to self, keep some file for sources!! :mad: Short thing - if her dates are right, along with the date for the early Irish site Carrow etc a water superhighway does look likier

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom