Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

Any urban folk.been to fourkocks passage tomb dublin.
its on a smaller scale to new grange up the road.
no visitors centre. megalithic art to die for. theres an engraving of a human face and torso on one of the stones.
the oldest in ireland. shall dig out my old pics later.

which reminds me, cant recall if this has been mentioned, but I do like ther megalithic portal pocket guide when I'm out and about. Easy to find anything nearby!

OK, so I'm currently staying about 10 mins from the Rollright Stones. Thought it couldn't hurt to pop down there as I'm so close.

It's like a bloody festival (without the music). At least 40-50 cars parked up along the road. I mean, it's great and all that so many people are taking an interest in megaliths. But I didn't expect that.

The rest of the Cotswolds is also stupidly busy. Stay at home. I'm off to Cheddar tomorrow.

Maeshowe? We had to look from the road as our visit to Orkney was a flying one between the morning and evening ferries and we didn't have time to wait for the tour.

By the way, this book is a really good read for anyone interested in prehistoric Britain. It's a while since I have read it, but he mentions burial chambers on Orkney that contained skeletons which had been put together from bones from different people. I can't remember what explanation he gave, but that always stayed with me!

Oh, and here's the Daily Heil's explanation :hmm:

I've just discovered Time Team! Knew of it but never actually watched it before....cant say its the most exciting show - its definitely a powerful bedtime watch as i usually fall asleep before halfway!

Series 1-11 are on 4OD player, theres a full episode guide on there too (including for the later series which are unavailable to stream), and the rest seem to be on youtube and dailymotion.

so far just picking out some of the pre-roman ones to watch...
this one looks at a fogou that also comes up in Julian cope's film

this is the episode

Last edited:
I've just discovered Time Team! Knew of it but never actually watched it before....cant say its the most exciting show - its definitely a powerful bedtime watch as i usually fall asleep before halfway!

Series 1-11 are on 4OD player, theres a full episode guide on there too, and the rest seem to be on youtube and dailymotion.

so far just picking out some of the pre-roman ones to watch...
this one looks at a fogou that also comes up in Julian cope's film

this is the episode
I am a fully paid up member of the "Bring Back Time Team" FB Group. I met Phil Harding once at an open day at Danebury Ring (we have lots of Iron Age Hill forts around here). Apart from being a true expert in his field, he's probably the best flint knapper in the world (he was knapping in this pic) and he's a really good bloke - had loads of time for people's questions etc. Twas a joy to meet him. 1597782564084.png

I am a fully paid up member of the "Bring Back Time Team" FB Group. I met Phil Harding once at an open day at Danebury Ring (we have lots of Iron Age Hill forts around here). Apart from being a true expert in his field, he's probably the best flint knapper in the world (he was knapping in this pic) and he's a really good bloke - had loads of time for people's questions etc. Twas a joy to meet him. View attachment 227085
he stands out as a nice fella from what little ive seen - cracking accent for sure

looking through my holiday snaps: Men An Tol - COW ENERGY!!
117176771_10157138391776721_9164061564020966931_o.jpg

(rubbing post really)

I am a fully paid up member of the "Bring Back Time Team" FB Group. I met Phil Harding once at an open day at Danebury Ring (we have lots of Iron Age Hill forts around here). Apart from being a true expert in his field, he's probably the best flint knapper in the world (he was knapping in this pic) and he's a really good bloke - had loads of time for people's questions etc. Twas a joy to meet him.

I really want to learn to flint knap, maybe I'll book a weekend next year.

Trewern standing stone for me today. Gets a bit overlooked, this one, as it's tucked away in a field system under Trengwainton Carn/on private land so is a bit of a faff to get to. I'd never seen it before nor had my mate and she's got an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of our local prehistory.

Once part of a pair, some talk of it being a stone row once. Grave discovered between the two stones. Lovely spot. Sketch of the two stones is 17thC.

Farmer happy for us to wander over their fields - cows indifferent.

20200829_143412.jpg20200829_143417.jpg20200829_143423.jpg

IMG_20201029_154501915_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201029_154410888_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201029_154923924_HDR.jpg
Porlock stone circle. As wet, windy and driery a place as you could hope not to visit. One single large stone - the top picture - that's laid on its back and about 5ft long, and the next largest (second picture) about knee height and set into the earth. Middle bronze age, with an earlier cairn nearby.

I tried really hard to be in awe, but I'll be honest: it was crap.

119.1.jpg123.1.jpg
1604091631521.png
(the bottom image is nicked off the interwebnet...)

this is the Robin How and Joaney How complex of cairns on the northern edge Exmoor. 60ft across, 6ft high. Bronze Age, and directly overlooking (what is now) a fertile, 10km valley stretching between Minehead and Porlock, with access to the sea at both ends, and high moorland to the north and south.

worth a visit, along with nearby Dunkery beacon, in decent weather - very easy to see how they relate to the landscape. a bit crap in driving rain...

I just came across pictures of the site from which some Rhyolite "Bluestones" of Stonehenge were sourced, a place called Craig Rhos-y-Felin.
Looks like a really nice little spot if you are ever in the neighbourhood

IMAG1005.jpg

Opera Snapshot_2021-02-12_073631_www.google.com.png

Triggered by this story
which suggests the smaller bluestone circle at Stonehenge might have stood in Wales and been moved to within the larger Stonehenge
"The evidence backs a century-old theory that the nation’s greatest prehistoric monument was built in Wales and venerated for hundreds of years before being dismantled and dragged to Wiltshire, where it was resurrected as a second-hand monument. "

Its fun to speculate why they would've done that, and at who's orders.
If it was such a sacred site that they really wanted it in England then surely the locals would've been pissed off about it being uprooted.
Maybe it was done with agreement as an act of proto-state building, uniting two peoples into what judging by the scale of the circles of wiltshire must have been the regional powerhouse. I guess people can only speculate...

It seems fairly certain that the henge was built there first, all other standing stones are quarried close to the site, remember an archaeologist friend saying she thought that the blue stones were probably erected in Wales first and taken to WIlsthire when the people moved base, they simply (ha!) took their stuff with them. She also contended that they went by water most of the way and that should it ever be possible, a scan of the seabed on the route from around Tenby to Bristol Channel at Bridgewater would reveal bluestones from vessels that sank along the way. We were at a party on Steart Beach when she went in to this, I was a little bit trollied and was looking out over those waters, it made perfect sense. Then she said the stones could possibly have come ashore on that very beach...

Back
Top Bottom