Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

I just came across pictures of the site from which some Rhyolite "Bluestones" of Stonehenge were sourced, a place called Craig Rhos-y-Felin.
Looks like a really nice little spot if you are ever in the neighbourhood

IMAG1005.jpg

View attachment 253942
Visited them a couple of years ago, it is a gorgeous spot.

this latest find sounds intriguing and I will watch tonight - the MPP does seem to find a world changing discovery about Stonehenge every two or three years

The (political?) geography does make sense - iirc it's not until the the 6thC or so that kingdoms/polities go from being water centered with land boundaries to land centered with water boundaries. The Somerset levels would have been flooded, so it's quite possible that you're looking at a water based polity based around the Bristol channel with Stonehenge at its eastern edge.

I'll definitely give it a watch...

Fucking amazing idea - building it in Wales, dismantling it then moving it all that way. :cool:
True.
Must say as I was watching it I couldn't help thinking that the proposed re-location smacked of the outcome of some sort of asymmetric power struggle, defeat, enslavement or some sort of 'colonialisation' with the victors really rubbing the defeated noses in it by nicking their scared site.

But maybe that's just me seeing the dark?

Last edited:
True.
Must say as I was watching it I couldn't help thinking that the proposed re-location smacked of the outcome of some sort of asymmetric power struggle, defeat, enslavement or some sort of 'colonialisation' with the victors really rubbing the defeated noses in it by nicking their scared site.

But maybe that's just me seeing the dark?
I'm with the "We're moving? But what about our stuff?" "We'll bring it" team.

I'm with the "We're moving? But what about our stuff?" "We'll bring it" team.
Yep, I suppose this is one thing that Parker Pearson's team would like to explore, though I don't suppose it will ever be possible to give more than speculative explanations?

The fact that, according to Parker Pearson, the stones represent the ancestors could well support your notion that migrants wanted to take the ancestors along with them to their new lands?

Who knows? :D

But all fascinating stuff.

Yep, I suppose this is one thing that Parker Pearson's team would like to explore, though I don't suppose it will ever be possible to give more than speculative explanations?

The fact that, according to Parker Pearson, the stones represent the ancestors could well support your notion that migrants wanted to take the ancestors along with them to their new lands?

Who knows? :D

But all fascinating stuff.
One thing that archeology does is reflect the now onto the past and I did get the impression PP and Roberts were projecting a Remainer/Unionist sentiment onto the past. A coming together of East and West. Tribes uniting. Maybe.

Still, a fascinating new part of the story, and proves there’s still archeology out there. Who know what will be added next.

something else they didn't look at was climate - what was happening, was South West Wales becoming less attractive (wind/rain/flooding) with Central Southern England looking like a good option?

something else they didn't look at was climate - what was happening, was South West Wales becoming less attractive (wind/rain/flooding) with Central Southern England looking like a good option?
True, but it's always important to remember when clambering around on the top of wet, cold hills looking for stones etc. that, in climatic terms it's helpful to think of Brecon more as Bordeaux!

It really wasn't as grim as it is now up on those henges, enclosures and hill-forts.

The Atlantic climatic era: the period 6200 BC - 3500 BC (approx.) is now regarded as a major 'Climatic Optimum'. In the NW Europe / NE Atlantic region, pressure is thought to have been relatively higher, with the depression tracks much further north (and / or south .. e.g. highly blocked) & less intense than before or since. The northwest of these islands were warmer, drier & less 'stormier' than modern conditions.
Mean annual temperatures eventually (by latter part of this "Atlantic" period, i.e. 3500 to 4000 BC) it is estimated that a +2 degC anomaly (c.f. 1960's) was probable, with warm winters. Moderate humidity overall, but periods of heavy rain, some of lengthy duration. Rainfall evenly distributed winter to summer. (4600 - 3500 BC: moderate dryness.)

Waunfawr isn't in South West Wales, it's up North (but yeah, weather extremities angle still stands!)

RE whether the stones went by land or sea, i found the tv explanation a bit brief.
They proved its possible to drag them very slowly and with great effort.
The reason for ruling out by boat was that they tried to make a boat and it sunk with that much weight on it.
Do we have any evidence for what kind of boats might have existed at the time?
My impression was that there was a lot of sea travelling going on...
?

As to the Welsh Migrated and Brought Their Stones - this was based on the fact that there was evidence that some of the bodies buried in the area had come from Wales. What if they were enslaved, possibly even made to drag their stones, and then ceremoniously killed at Stonehenge! Not impossible. I expect not though - seems a bit harsh.

Considering there is so much ingenious dating technology Id love to see a proper time line of all this, based on the new understanding

3,300 BC - Welsh circle is constructed
3,000 BC - Earthworks as Stonehenge site begun.
????? BC - When are the Bluestones moved / first set up in Salisbury as an outer circle ??
????? - When do the Iberians arrive to build Stonehenge proper???
2,500 BC- Big Sarsen stones go up -presumably this is also the time the bluestones are moved within the Sarsens?

That one works nicely - although I'm blank as many might have expected.
the second link doesnt work for me at all for some reason

i found this in my local park

either the site of an ancient grove or someone has tried to do a cock and balls bank.
will investigate
WTF.png

Back
Top Bottom