Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

now it's not that old but this thread is good enough

.. Has anyone walked any of this? It appeals to me

It's amazing - I've only done small lumps of it, days/overnights in the Kington-Knighton-Clun-Welshpool area, but its got fantastic views, and usually pretty deserted.

Really lovely part of the world.

It's amazing - I've only done small lumps of it, days/overnights in the Kington-Knighton-Clun-Welshpool area, but its got fantastic views, and usually pretty deserted.

hoping to go to shropshire in sept for a few days :fingerscrossed:

As far as big stones go, on my holidays in Staffordshire this week, I spotted this...

417296_0b379883.jpg

It's the Hopestone between Ipstones and Foxt.

the walk over High Rigg to Castlerigg is one of my very favourites. You get brilliant views of thousands of years of human history and even more years of geological change. And a fucking groovy stone circle at the end of it.

High Rigg walk - Castlerigg Stone Circle - Lake District walks - is a pretty good description. If you do want to come back to where you started from there's a nice walk along with valley to return by.
Swinside stone circle is lovely and not too far away, a lovely walk to it and pleasing to be the only person there

Went to the Hordron Edge stone circle last week, a nice location as they generally are. It is also known as the seven stones, though there are more than seven and no one seems to know where the name comes from. We amused ourselves with the conflicting accounts of how many stones there are in the circle. It has become confused because people have added in placeholder stones where they think stones were. There are 10 proper ones, or 11, or 12, or possibly 13.

Swinside stone circle is lovely and not too far away, a lovely walk to it and pleasing to be the only person there
I was trying to think where that was, then realised its better known (to me anyway) as Sunkenkirk. Lovely spot.

Went to the Hordron Edge stone circle last week, a nice location as they generally are. It is also known as the seven stones, though there are more than seven and no one seems to know where the name comes from. We amused ourselves with the conflicting accounts of how many stones there are in the circle. It has become confused because people have added in placeholder stones where they think stones were. There are 10 proper ones, or 11, or 12, or possibly 13.
11, properly, and at least three buried with more very probably removed. Only seven were visible until some peat got dug up in 1992.

I was trying to think where that was, then realised its better known (to me anyway) as Sunkenkirk. Lovely spot.

11, properly, and at least three buried with more very probably removed. Only seven were visible until some peat got dug up in 1992.
Not sure that's true, eleven were recorded in 1893 and the official record states there have always been more than seven: MDR4173 - The Seven Stones of Hordron, Hordron Edge, Moscar Moor, Derwent - Derbyshire Historic Environment Record

Mind you, that record is also confusing as it refers to 14 smaller stones in addition to the eleven proper ones. We counted 18 in total in the current circle if you include the really small ones, but possibly some of the other smaller ones have gone. But on site without a guide it's not actually clear which are the original 11 - the later additions are of varying sizes and I reckoned there were 12 big stones standing and one recumbent.

Last edited:

I know it's not that old but this thread is good enough

.. Has anyone walked any of this? It appeals to me
Did Tintern Abbey to Ross-on-Wye (is that all of it, I forget?) in the eighties when I was at Uni. Stayed in youth hostels, I particularly remember St. Briavels, a castle, and our room was in one of the rounded towers. Lovely walk.

Did Tintern Abbey to Ross-on-Wye (is that all of it, I forget?) in the eighties when I was at Uni. Stayed in youth hostels, I particularly remember St. Briavels, a castle, and our room was in one of the rounded towers. Lovely walk.

I've had many adventures on that stretch as a kid - a mate and I skived off school for a few days (massively neglectful parents) and cycled from Stroud to Gloucester, then to Monmouth, and spent 4 days in the YHA's of Welsh Bicknor, St Briavels, and Chepstow.

I got so drunk at a pub in English Bicknor that I fell down the bank of the Wye, and into the river while trying to have a late night piss.

St Briavels used to host medieval banquets in the summer....

Beardown Man Standing Stone on Dartmoor this morning. Quite remote and high up on the moors. Also in the military firing zone so you need to time your visit right. Devil's Tor in the background, which is home to a pretty vicious swarm of wasps.

Apart from all that, lovely.

E-nnoFHX0AYtj-_.jpg

From this piece

"Comparing the settings of 104 monuments in Wales, Cummings and Whittle discovered that megaliths such as Pentre Ifan are geographic cruxes. From each a viewer can take in a range of distinctive landscape elements. Don’t think of Pentre Ifan as an end in itself, they say; think of it instead as a prompt to look out rather than in. A giant picture frame that draws together views of the Irish Sea, Carn Ingli, the Preseli Hills, and four rocky outcrops on the south-western horizon called Meibion Owen – Owen’s Sons. The Welsh landscape would have been more forested in Neolithic times, but these landmarks would’ve been visible through the trees, especially in winter."

I haven't been to that many but that's broadly my experience too

The Express has made a major discovery today. Apparently in Scotland there is an ancient settlement that they call the ‘Scottish Pompeii’

They’re calling it ‘Skara Brae’

The Express has made a major discovery today. Apparently in Scotland there is an ancient settlement that they call the ‘Scottish Pompeii’

Shouldn't have clicked....but, at least I was rewarded with this brilliant Express pop-up:

1636375447612.png

and...tbf to the Express...if you stare really intently at the sea Wast of the Orkney Islands...I'm pretty sure you can see Diana's decaying face! :eek:

1636375546771.png

That is bizarre, even for the Express. The article seems to have been prompted by a show on a US television channel too. Space filler par excellence.

Back
Top Bottom