Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Marvels of the Kenwood Chef

The spud scrubber - you put the spuds into the special bowl, which had a surface a bit like 25 / 40 grit sandpaper as did the false bottom - and some raised sections (ridges) - the bottom rotated and the ridges turned the spuds around and over. There was a "rubber" lid to keep things tidy when operating.

images

You had quite a job washing the spuds and the "rumbler" clean afterwards.

It was very noisy in use, was a pain to clean, and if the spuds were uneven in shape or had deep set eyes the finished result was "patchy".

Mum used it "a few times" but, tbh, we could all peel the things far more quickly and quietly by hand.
My mum was a cook when I was a kid and she used something very similar but many times bigger made by Hobart at full load (about 30kg of spuds) it sounded like a jet at takeoff.

We had Three of them. Seriously! An expanding cottage business evolved from these things. I remember being most impressed by the milk separator - in went the whole milk, out came cream and skimmed milk in separate pots. Then you could beat the cream to make butter and butter milk.

If I ever have my own permanent/long term kitchen a Kenwood Chef will be a priority.

--/ We had just one Hobart. Possibly made Five Kenwood Chefs redundant.

Yeh, I remember those, they had one for the school kitchen ... boy, what a noise !
Not to mention the size of the boiler for cooking them.

I was on the school council, and as you can imagine, one of the complaints was the contents/quality of the school dinners. As a result I was one of those invited to observe (and even help a bit) the preparation/cooking and planning(budgeting) for dinner one day - I think we all saw a day, but only a few at a time. That was an interesting and enlightening experience.

I have two. But one is in need of some TLC - the bush on the speed control shaft seems to be such that it turns of its own volition.

View attachment 100027

A fellow south londoner left one of these out on the street last night and now it is MINE.

I have never previously owned a Kenwood Chef.

This is a model 701A and was made between 1962 and 1976.

An experiment yesterday involving a cheese souffle revealed some mechanical issues and these are going to be attended to.

Some time on the internet and youtube in particular has revealed to me that the attachment opportunities do not end with the stuff that goes around in the bowl but are present at no less than three additional locations.

Are you too the proud owner of a Kenwood Chef? You should feel free to speak openly on this thread.
We had one when I was a kid. Am I right in thinking the liquidiser thing is a bastard to clean, in that the gloop you are liquidising comes into contact with the gubbins under the blue plastic flap on the top when you use it?

We had one when I was a kid. Am I right in thinking the liquidiser thing is a bastard to clean, in that the gloop you are liquidising comes into contact with the gubbins under the blue plastic flap on the top when you use it?
it is designed for adults to use and ime not for children to wash up

I see James May recently disassembled a mixer very similar to mine.

Food Mixer, Series 2, James May: The Reassembler - BBC Four

Some reminiscences from a former kenwood employee

In James May’s episode of the ‘The Reassembler’ on January 4th, 2016, he took the easy route of reassembling the ‘Two hundred and thirty five components’ of a Kenwood Chef food mixer, an activity close to my heart.

Between leaving school in January 1970 and setting sail for Greenland in May 1970, my first full time paid employment was at the Kenwood factory in Havant, assembling just one of those 235 components. Yes James, I was employed for up to twelve hours a day, fitting the gear wheel to the shaft of that pivotal component which you simply brushed off in the singlar as ‘a pinion’.

At that time, all was not well in the Wood family. For reasons which remain clouded in mystery, Mrs. Wood had sold her share of her soon to be ‘former’ husband’s business to the evil Mr Thorn, leaving Ken out in the cold. Morale at the factory, staffed with the kindhearted and loyal population of West Leigh, had taken a dive as the ‘time and motion’ men from Thorn Electrical Industries had come in to wreak their havoc.

For the record, for the eight hours of my standard day (and the four hours of the twilight shift which occasionally helped to make the weekly brown envelope worthwhile) I stood at a hydraulic carousel press, repeating the following sequence:

1. Lift the guard
  2. Remove completed pinion assembly
  3. Pack completed pinion assembly
  4. Insert new shaft
  5. Position pinion gear
  6. Close guard
Since the maximum speed of this operation was dictated by the rhythmic rotation of the carousel, the ‘T&M police’ could not find fault with ‘Time’. It was, however, with the ‘Motion’ component that I drew their wrath.

Step ‘3’ was where my problems arose. The completed pinion assemblies were packed in wooden trays, perforated with eight columns and sixteen rows of holes in which to insert the shafts. While my training suggested that I should start at the top left and work horizontally, row by row, finishing at the bottom right, intense boredom soon got the better of me. Some trays I’d fill in reverse order, others in vertical motion, and eventually I adopted a set of depictions of national flags – the Union flag being a favourite with my fellow workers. When the evil Mr Thorn’s men came around, I was thoroughly reprimanded and sent for retraining.

In truth, I was perhaps a tad overqualified for that particular role on the assembly line, however the experience taught me much about manufacturing industry and even more about the resourcefulness of a recently oppressed workforce. Forty six years on, the Havant factory building still exists as an eerily quiet warehouse for the current Italian owner, a transit stop for the Kenwood and DeLonghi products which are now manufactured in the People’s Republic of China.

In the grand scheme of the overall decline of British manufacturing industry, Mrs Wood may have much to answer for. But then I suspect that in some respects, Ken might not have been entirely innocent.

James May, you are mistaken sir! -

I inherited a Kenwood Titanium Major. It came with a burnt out motor and control board, which cost about £120 and a few hours work. It's a really nice mixer.

Kenwood-Titanium-Chef-Major-Stand-Mixer.jpg

Titanium Major KMM020 Kenwood Machine | Kenwood Kitchen Accessories

So teucher found one of these & the first thing he tried to do was a souffle, which i'm not even sure how to spell.

Anyone up for suggesting a good beginners easy thing to make that might form a friendly bond between a person and their first mixer machine?
Bread maybe?

The first thing I made was profiteroles.
I'd never made choux pastry before, and decided to give it a go... They were amazing!

32614460472_82f4db9d62_c.jpg

I inherited a Kenwood Titanium Major. It came with a burnt out motor and control board, which cost about £120 and a few hours work. It's a really nice mixer.

Kenwood-Titanium-Chef-Major-Stand-Mixer.jpg

Titanium Major KMM020 Kenwood Machine | Kenwood Kitchen Accessories

The first thing I made was profiteroles.
I'd never made choux pastry before, and decided to give it a go... They were amazing!

32614460472_82f4db9d62_c.jpg
Control boards do seem to be a weak point. The one on our (first) one failed, but you can get a kit (or complete board) to repair or replace it. I think we got ours from these people: Kenwood Chef A901 KM200 Motor spares

That black thing on the left of the first picture looks like one of those extruded plastic things that Waitrose pack ripe & ready avos in. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom