Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Marvels of the Kenwood Chef

Does that work?

I'd wondered about whether I could do that kind of thing but wasn't sure if it would be going too far off label.

The other day I put a half-lemon skin through my new mincing attachment just to see what would happen. It got minced. Next I want to see what happens if I put raw potato through it.
You will make one of the finest potato dishes ever, "Rostini".
Anyway I use a sieve and a spoon to puree vegetables. A power tool to do this would be lush. I could cook for a hundred.

teuchter, anything inspirational come out of your machine lately? Haven't used mine for weeks and its in danger of moving from kitchen surface into the oubliette that is the back of the hallway cupboard. :(
At the weekend a cauliflower was grated in the food processor attachment, along with a pear, which became a kind of salad thing.

Yesterday I used the remaining grated cauliflower to make a kind of cauliflower hash brown thing. It included an onion which I tried putting through the "fine slicer" which resulted in more of a mush than fine slices, but it still seemed to work once I'd cooked it.

At the weekend a cauliflower was grated in the food processor attachment, along with a pear, which became a kind of salad thing.

Yesterday I used the remaining grated cauliflower to make a kind of cauliflower hash brown thing. It included an onion which I tried putting through the "fine slicer" which resulted in more of a mush than fine slices, but it still seemed to work once I'd cooked it.
Probably 80% of this was Chef sliced:

IMG_5370.JPG

100% of this was Chef battered, kneaded or mixed:

IMG_5381.JPG

Easy Chef ottolenghis:

i) top and tail fennel bulbs. Drop through slicer. Put in bowl w/ lemon juice, olive oil, salt / pepper, tarragon & parsley. Feta & pomegranate seeds over top.

ii) get a half tonne of root veg (carrots, beetroot, swede, parsnip, turnip, celeriac). Obliterate all. Add dill &a coriander, dress w/ a red chilli in a bit of vinegar, rapeseed oil, honey & lemon juice. Poppy seeds, flaked almonds & pomegranate over top.

iii) sort-of-Waldorf needs the bowl / whisk for the maple mayonnaise, and is then mostly a case of dropping red cabbage, apples, celery and red onion into the processor.

I've probably posted those before tho, so apologies for being a bore :oops:

Well, it turns out that mincing fish is one way of removing the bones.

People perhaps had a more pragmatic approach to food in the 70s.

Minced Fish

Sensory properties of mince
The appearance and texture of mince are different from those of fillets because the flesh is fragmented, but limited tests have shown that the consumer is not unduly deterred by the unfamiliar form of mince when presented in fish fingers provided it is made from fresh raw material; indeed in tasting tests children showed an apparent preference for fish fingers made from mince rather than fillet.

There is some loss of the sweet flavour of fresh fish during mincing and, more seriously, a slight 'cardboardy' flavour can sometimes be detected, which is more usually associated with the cold storage of whole fish. There may also be a slight increase in firmness and dryness.

When blood-rich tissue from beneath the backbone is included among the raw material, the resulting mince will be red; the mince turns brown when cooked, and has an unacceptable and sometimes extremely objectionable metallic flavour.

Bone separators do not remove all pieces of bone; the table shows typical average bone contents of minces made from different parts of fish, using a 5 mm drum.

Some of the residual bones in mince from fillets or gutted whole fish are needle shaped and sometimes more than 6 mm long, which exceeds some specifications for limits of bone. Bone particles in mince made from frames, that is the skeletons of whole fish from which fillets have been removed, but which still carry some flesh, are blunt and irregular in shape; these would meet a specification that bones should not be capable of piercing the soft palate, but might not meet a specification limiting the permitted weight of bone present. Use of a drum with smaller perforations reduces bone content, but also yields a mince of poorer texture; perforations from 1 to 7 mm are available commercially, but a 5 mm drum generally offers the most reasonable compromise.

"not unduly deterred" :thumbs:

Well, it turns out that mincing fish is one way of removing mincing the bones.
Fixed it for you.

Must say, I hardly find this encouraging:

"Some of the residual bones in mince from fillets or gutted whole fish are needle shaped and sometimes more than 6 mm long, which exceeds some specifications for limits of bone. Bone particles in mince made from frames, that is the skeletons of whole fish from which fillets have been removed, but which still carry some flesh, are blunt and irregular in shape; these would meet a specification that bones should not be capable of piercing the soft palate, but might not meet a specification limiting the permitted weight of bone present."​

Other innovations on the same theme include minced glass surprise burgers. (Contain only limited 6mm needle sharp shards, and will fail less progressive tests that measure minced glass not only by sharpness, but also by weight).

To draw an analogy, if one went to a top surgeon in the field of amputation and asked for one's leg to be removed, one would be pretty fucked off, I reckon, if one awoke to find that it was still attached but *had* been passed through a 5mm mincer screen.

"I thought I asked you to remove my leg!!!"

I did. It has been effectively minced, though it is still attached.

"There are jagged chunks of bone splinters sticking out the side of the leg mince!!!! JEEESSSUUUUSSSSS!!!!"

Yes. As you accurately note, I removed the bones, too.

Hello Kenwood chef owners!
I'm thinking of getting one.
I will need it for making cakes and bread, chopping nuts, making breadcrumbs, chopping veggies and fruit, making soups.
Would this be the place to start?

Kenwood Khh300WH MultiOne Stand Mixer, White at John Lewis

I've had so many cheap and crap appliances to do the above, that I'm happy to invest.
I'd be interested in your most loved attachments.
Can I make smoothies too?
Thanks SB

CHEF UPDATE

I've recently installed something something like this

Mixer Lift

Now the Chef lives inside a cupboard under the counter but can rise securely and splendidly by the magic of counterbalancing springs to counter top level with the smallest effort.

I recommend a Chef Lift to any Chef owners with small kitchens. Your Chef need not take up counter space when it is dormant, and you need not be put off using your Chef by the hassle of dragging it out of a cupboard.

What sorcery is this? Does the mixer hang upside down attached to this thing and spring up vaulting over a lever into position ? I don’t believe this contraption actually exists outside of your imagination. My mixer now lives in the hall cupboard behind the loo rolls and cat food.

What sorcery is this? Does the mixer hang upside down attached to this thing and spring up vaulting over a lever into position ? I don’t believe this contraption actually exists outside of your imagination. My mixer now lives in the hall cupboard behind the loo rolls and cat food.
This is a film of me earlier today.

Hello Kenwood chef owners!
I'm thinking of getting one.
I will need it for making cakes and bread, chopping nuts, making breadcrumbs, chopping veggies and fruit, making soups.
Would this be the place to start?

Kenwood Khh300WH MultiOne Stand Mixer, White at John Lewis

I've had so many cheap and crap appliances to do the above, that I'm happy to invest.
I'd be interested in your most loved attachments.
Can I make smoothies too?
Thanks SB
Sorry no-one replied to your enquiry at the time.

Did you get one yet?

teuchter Hello. Only just noticed this. But to answer you - No
I'm now swerving more towards a food processor as for chopping and blending (but I need a powerful one), but I'm guessing the KWC Multi One as I linked to above isn't as good as say a vita-mix (or similar?)

I really want one.

Have broken a couple of fairly decent blenders and a meat grinder over the few last years so thinking it might be a sensible investment to get a decent KC.

Want one that has a blender, meat grinder/mincer and sausage maker attachment if that is feasible?

Guess I should actually go to a shop and speak to someone?

Back
Top Bottom