Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend A Chef's Knife

Any one got any suggestions for a half decent bread knife in the £20 to £30 range? My sister is really hard to buy xmas presents for and when I was down I noticed how bad theirs was, so thought a new one would be a useful gift.

My partner put my favourite knife through the dishwasher last night. :(

Still working out what to do with it. I'm going to sand the handle down and revarnish, and then maybe try using my little belt grinder with a fine belt to try and remove the rust from blade? Saul Goodman, was you who makes knives?

View attachment 426190
That's criminal. It's a beautiful knife... well it was.
Belt sander seems a bit overkill... How bad is it? If it's just surface rust I'd attack it first with some wire wool, just to remove the surface rust, and give the handle a quick rub to get some air at the wood to let it dry. Oil the blade and let the handle dry for a few days, then sand back the handle to smooth and apply some oil.
Then get to work on the blade. Hopefully a bit of fine (1200+) wet and dry will get it back to good metal, then get an edge on it, and only when it's sharp enough to slice an overripe tomato with ease, use it on whoever put it in the dishwasher!

Somebody put one of mine with an ebony handle into a washing bowl full of water, and I found it there the next day. :mad:

That's criminal. It's a beautiful knife... well it was.
Belt sander seems a bit overkill... How bad is it? If it's just surface rust I'd attack it first with some wire wool, just to remove the surface rust, and give the handle a quick rub to get some air at the wood to let it dry. Oil the blade and let the handle dry for a few days, then sand back the handle to smooth and apply some oil.
Then get to work on the blade. Hopefully a bit of fine (1200+) wet and dry will get it back to good metal, then get an edge on it, and only when it's sharp enough to slice an overripe tomato with ease, use it on whoever put it in the dishwasher!

Somebody put one of mine with an ebony handle into a washing bowl full of water, and I found it there the next day. :mad:

Thanks, I don't think (hope) the rust is that bad, so I'll try some steel wool first. Do you think oil for the handle then rather than varnish? As it's not going to look very original after this, I'm wondering about maybe using some vinegar or similar to force a patina on the blade to protect it (clearly not from the dishwasher).

I normally clean it and dry it after use, but had loads going on and was a few cans down. It's still rather sharp, but my luckily thoughts didn't quite go to violence when I found it this morning.

Thanks, I don't think (hope) the rust is that bad, so I'll try some steel wool first. Do you think oil for the handle then rather than varnish? As it's not going to look very original after this, I'm wondering about maybe using some vinegar or similar to force a patina on the blade to protect it (clearly not from the dishwasher).

I normally clean it and dry it after use, but had loads going on and was a few cans down. It's still rather sharp, but my luckily thoughts didn't quite go to violence when I found it this morning.
There's nothing wrong with varnish, I just prefer oil. If you do use oil, use mineral oil.
I use this stuff... Ballistol Universal Oil

Maybe not as bad as I feared. I had unopened bottle of linseed oil in the garage. I can't even remember what it was bought for, but it made the choice easier. Couldn't find any steel wool, so used 320 sand paper.

View attachment 426213
If it happens again, my eldest says carbon blades abrade easily so barman's friend and scotchbrite will remove rust just fine without messing with the temper so you are less likely to need re-polishing that way than with the belt sander.

If it happens again, my eldest says carbon blades abrade easily so barman's friend and scotchbrite will remove rust just fine without messing with the temper so you are less likely to need re-polishing that way than with the belt sander.

Yes, was very pleasantly suprised how easy it was to remove with fine sandpaper!

Makes me a bit more confident to have a go at applying a patina as I know I can remove it easily if I mess it up.

Yes, was very pleasantly suprised how easy it was to remove with fine sandpaper!

Makes me a bit more confident to have a go at applying a patina as I know I can remove it easily if I mess it up.

Back
Top Bottom