Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

March craft club - breadmaking

how many are doing this? Sounds like it might be rammed and if so, I may do allotment instead as it's likely all the allotment folk will be at this won't they!?

If it rains heavy I'll come along - and I'm sure I'll drop in after digging to see what's happened.

thanks han.:)

i can do a lovely banana bread as well that's more of a cake, but it tastes better if left overnight. perhaps i should bring it pre-baked?

^^

if i don't feel like cooking and have bread kicking around, i'll pick up a selection of meats and cheeses and serve with different kinds of spreads. (lemon pesto mayonnaise, tapanade, grainy mustard.)

so good. especially with copious amounts of red wine.

PieEye said:
how many are doing this? Sounds like it might be rammed and if so, I may do allotment instead as it's likely all the allotment folk will be at this won't they!?

If it rains heavy I'll come along - and I'm sure I'll drop in after digging to see what's happened.
I was thinking this too. Is there gonna be a limit on numbers?

I got well into bread making for a while. How hard can it be. Pretty hard, like a brick to start off.

Tips:
Go buy some live yeast. Dry is ok, but quality live yeast will make all the difference.
Canadian wheat is by far the best. Bags with the coloured tops. Cant remember the name.
Don't try to make wholemeal bread with pure wholemeal flour. You will create an inedible brick as there is very little gluten in brown. Its 50/50 white/wholemeal.
You need a decent warm airing cupboard for raising it this time of the year. It has to be kept nice and warm or look forward to sliced brick. This is where the bread maker come well into its own.

I don't think we should worry too much about numbers, you know how it is with peeps turning up at different times, etc. etc.

The main thing is that I reckon each person who wants to make bread needs to decide what kind of bread they want to make, bring a recipe, and bring all the ingredients. :)

And then we can all help each other make each others' recipes, and share it all at the end, what say you?

I just want to make something REALLY basic as I've never made bread before so will go for a simple recipe. What do peeps recommend?

Bee and Pie - it would be nice if you could join us post-allotment :)

Sunray said:
You need a decent warm airing cupboard for raising it this time of the year. It has to be kept nice and warm or look forward to sliced brick.

Hmm, we don't have one....what else can we do?

Turn up the heating in the living room and put it in there?!

I recently thought it would be :cool: to make some bread, but I'm busy on the 11th of March so won't be able to join you :(

Anyway - I reckon if everyone brings their own stuff to make their own bread and we all join making it, it'll be less chaotic :)

As they used to say....bring what u xpect 2 find ;)

Looking forward to this!

<runs off to find v simple recipe that a toddler could make>

I might try unleavened bread! ;)

I just followed the recipe on the back of the flour bag and all turn out fine :). No airing cupboard either, so yes, did turn up the heating and placed bread very near it.

It does take a long time to make, especially if lots of different kinds - took all day to make three kinds on Christmas Eve (about 8 hours) because of needing different proving times and temperatures in the oven.

I must remember to bring the loaf tin too ;). Although, just remembered GG's post about making rolls, which really does sound easy for so many people to at once.

Blue Nun's got a good idea about how we can do the breadmaking.

Let's just do 2 different recipes (cos of all the rising and cooking time), and the knitters can have a bit of a knit whilst waiting for all the rising etc.

So: Alien Nation - we could do your recipe on the back of the flour that worked out well, what kind of bread was it?

Anyone else got a recipe that they've done before and that has worked well, that they can bring along?

Also - it'd be helpful to have an idea of numbers so we can judge how much stuff to buy. We've got baking trays, if anyone who has bread tins could bring them that would be handy.

WHO'S DEFINITELY COMING? :)

Han
Blue Nun
Eme

I definitely am too - it's still next Sunday, right? I haven't got a loaf tin, but could probably buy one (it'd come in handy for other stuff at home).

Han
Blue Nun
Eme
Maggot
alien nation
TorchSong

icon14.gif

:D

Han
Blue Nun
Eme
Maggot
alien nation
TorchSong
Wrysmile

Talking about the breadmaking session today at the allotment, we thought it'd be a good idea to make TWO different breads - one brown, one white.

These could be split into rolls for people to add stuff to eg. cheese/olives/herbs etc.

So we just need 2 recipes, one brown and one white, and for peeps to bring what they want to add to their rolls.

Who knows a good brown/white recipe that they've made before that works?

Alien Nation - what colour bread was the one you did?

Back
Top Bottom