Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

March craft club - breadmaking

This sounds great... and I've never been to craft club before.

I've got Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery book and some unopened chutney from Christmas. I meant to master the art of baking bread on maternity leave, but only got round to making a bloomer :rolleyes: :(

han said:
Ooops, I meant Sunday 11th March - no-one said they could make the Saturday 10th, did they?

I'm sure it won't matter if we missed the allotment for 1 week, or we could go on the Saturday instead....

ok cool ...

Skim said:
master the art of baking bread on maternity leave,

Art?

when I make bread by hand, i just chuck in flour and dried yeast and pummel it a but and see what happens when it's risen and cooked.

erm...may i come?

i know how to make bread and have a recipe for a lovely rosemary foccacia that's super-easy to make, takes little time and can also be used as a base for pizza. (i'll never make conventional pizza dough again, the three hours it takes ain't worth it!)

pyrovitae said:
erm...may i come?

i know how to make bread and have a recipe for a lovely rosemary foccacia that's super-easy to make, takes little time and can also be used as a base for pizza. (i'll never make conventional pizza dough again, the three hours it takes ain't worth it!)

if course, you are most welcome!

Just a reminder - this is on Sunday 11th March at 11am, chez hanjan .

*bump* this is on Sunday 11th March everyone, put it in your diaries! :)

Thanks for your pm pyrovitae - I will be sending out address details etc. nearer the time :)

Just found this thread by searching breadmaking. I agree that if you are using a breadmaker you are cheating. The kneading is the funnest part. And I am not interested in making it with olives and walnuts and all that flibbertijibbet - good honest decent bread is all I'm interested in - I don't even think you need tins - just a good sized lump. However I've only just started making it after a break of about 20 years and would like some fine tuning advice if any of you are experts? If I want it REALLY light and fluffy, how do I do it? Do I just add more yeast or do I need more kneading? Can I over-knead it and ruin it? Is it best to leave it to rise after kneading or should you do it twice and let it rise twice? How do I get a thinner, yet tastier crust?

han said:
*bump* this is on Sunday 11th March everyone, put it in your diaries! :)

Thanks for your pm pyrovitae - I will be sending out address details etc. nearer the time :)

Okay 11 th ...I should be there :)

Oooooh - hooray! I am a bread junkie - I love it when craft club involves food (makes me feel better about not being able to knit :D still!) Definitely up for this, probably up for the allotment first too, if that is on that day. Yum .... I love wholemeal bread with loads of grains and seeds *runs off to look for recipes*

Superb! All welcome :)

And - I'm glad there are some breadmaking experts who are coming - I've never made bread before :eek:

We won't be allotmenting on Sunday 11th, as the breadmaking is gonna take all day.....

We could always watch a film/go out for a walk whilst it's cooking....or just have a good ol' knees up :)

Right - we need to start thinking about what ingredients we need to bring, how much we need to bring of everything and what recipe we're going to use.

Anyone got any ideas?

this looks like good fun :)
(i've made quite a lot of bread in my time and even teach kids how to do it for a living :D) have got some very good tried and tested recipes but mostly its so forgiving you can make a simple base and add anything you like.

i'd like to try and make it but will have to see what the saturday night turns into.

I want to come to this please (this is OU by the way - sorry about the decidedly non-suburban username) but will there be enough workspace for all the kneading?

chin dildo said:
I want to come to this please (this is OU by the way - sorry about the decidedly non-suburban username) but will there be enough workspace for all the kneading?
Why did you change your name?

It's a long and boring story to do with nosy friends and colleagues. I will probably go back to the old one eventually

han said:
Superb! All welcome :)

And - I'm glad there are some breadmaking experts who are coming - I've never made bread before :eek:

We won't be allotmenting on Sunday 11th, as the breadmaking is gonna take all day.....

We could always watch a film/go out for a walk whilst it's cooking....or just have a good ol' knees up :)

Right - we need to start thinking about what ingredients we need to bring, how much we need to bring of everything and what recipe we're going to use.

Anyone got any ideas?

I've got some strong white organic flour and some ordinary granary too - will bring both. I also have some 'roma' sun dried tomatoes which are pretty tasty. Looks like all sorts of bread will be baked - looking forward to it. I think a good ol' knees up sounds like a fab idea :).

gonna bring nuts and fruits... walnut bread yum... cranberry bread yumyum!

Back
Top Bottom