Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

March craft club - breadmaking

han

love is the answer
The idea of doing some breadmaking has been floating around the allotment recently....and I think it's a most excellent plan.

Would anyone be up for coming round chez han [and jan!] for an afternoon of breadmaking on a Saturday or Sunday in March? Seems like peeps are quite booked up in Feb.

I can make the 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 24th, 25th and 31st. Bearing in mind that 4th, 11th and 25th are Sundays and so what with being on the allotment from 11am-1.30pm people will already be v close to my gaff so that might be nice too - loads of exercise then loads of bread! :)

Anyone got a simple breadmaking recipe that we could use (and add stuff like dried tomatoes to)?

Bee mentioned that we could use her breadmaker as well which would be :cool:

PieEye said:
what is a breadmaker?

w-082492_baker
:D

I made bread rolls using this recipe last night, and threw in a load of pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds and sunflower seeds.

1lb 3oz plain wholewheat flour
2 tsp salt (I think I put a bit less in)
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp veg/sunflower/olive oil (which I now realise i forgot to add!)
1 sachet easy bake yeast
14fl oz warm water.

1 warm bowl - mix flour, salt, sugar and yeast. add oil

2 add warm water and mix to soft dough. knead for 10 minutes on a warm floured surface

3 if making loaves, divide evenly into two warmed 1lb loaf tins (for rolls divide into 2-3oz balls and shape on warm baking sheets)

4 cover and leave to rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place, until dough has doubled in size.

5 place in middle of preheated oven at 230c/gas 8. bake for 30-35 minutes for loaves, 15 minutes for rolls.

the bread was lovely, but a little heavy - maybe the lack of oil is the reason for that - and I found that my cold flat didn't help with the proving of the dough too much!

Tank Girl said:
w-082492_baker

I made bread rolls using this recipe last night, and threw in a load of pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds and sunflower seeds.

2 tsp sugar
1 sachet easy bake yeast
14fl oz warm water.

2 add warm water and mix to soft dough. knead for 10 minutes on a warm floured surface

3 if making loaves, divide evenly into two warmed 1lb loaf tins (for rolls divide into 2-3oz balls and shape on warm baking sheets)

4 cover and leave to rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place, until dough has doubled in size.

5 place in middle of preheated oven at 230c/gas 8. bake for 30-35 minutes for loaves, 15 minutes for rolls.

the bread was lovely, but a little heavy - maybe the lack of oil is the reason for that - and I found that my cold flat didn't help with the proving of the dough too much!

Oooh that sounds lovely. :)

Fancy coming along? :)

We were thinking rolls would be good, easier to share. Your recipe sounds well worth a go!

Also it'd be nice to chuck in some sun-dried toms, or bits of onion or whatever else peeps want.

Lovely idea. Breadmakers take hours and hours though, mine does anyway.

Can't do the 31st March as I have a gig and you should all come to that anyway as it's going to be a goodun.

RubyToogood said:
Breadmakers take hours and hours though, mine does anyway.

What, like 4 hours or something? Maybe we could do it in the morning, then go to the allotment whilst the bread is cooking, then come back and eat it!

RubyToogood said:
I have a gig and you should all come to that anyway as it's going to be a goodun.

Date in diary! Deffo want to see your band! :)

Tank Girl said:
w-082492_baker

2 tsp sugar
1 sachet easy bake yeast
14fl oz warm water.

I thought you were supposed to let it rise the first time, knock the air out of it and knead it some more and then let it rise again before putting it in the oven?

I just followed the recipe - one delia recipe I found involved no kneading!

thanks for the invite han - but what if your bread turns out wrong, I'd feel guilty :oops: :D

Tank Girl said:
I just followed the recipe - one delia recipe I found involved no kneading!

thanks for the invite han - but what if your bread turns out wrong, I'd feel guilty :oops: :D

We could try a different recipe! :) I think Eme's got some ideas....we can blame her ;)

My breadmaker takes just less than 4 hours. But it's much more fun if we do it by hand isn't it? :confused:

What you can also do is get the breadmaker to do the dough (which takes much less time - maybe 40 mins? and then shape the rolls ourselves - we could do plaits and knots and novelty allotment or knitting themed shapes.... :D

RubyToogood said:
Lovely idea. Breadmakers take hours and hours though, mine does anyway.

Can't do the 31st March as I have a gig and you should all come to that anyway as it's going to be a goodun.
They do usually take 3 or 4 hours... but if you're proving the dough a couple of times it will take that long anyway. I was thinking we could use it as an extra pair of hands to knead and prove, then cook in the oven... then we can have MORE bread ;) :D

edit: what gg typed quicker than me :rolleyes: :p

I can do: 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th and 31st

I'll dig around for some recipes too... northernhoard posted one last week I think, never got round to making it, but it sounded delicious.

if anyone is interested I have a wonderful recipe for sage apple and cheese bread

trouble with it is, its wonderful warm from the oven with butter :oops: so its not for the weight conscious :D

I made a white loaf, granary and a Christmas version of a hot cross bun loaf on Christmas eve - all by hand. It took all day to do. I think it would be lovely to do it by hand and maybe choose one recipe and make different shapes like GG says. Eating them would be fab too.

*Thinks about nice chunk of mature cheddar and Victorian chutney*

Personally I'd like to take home a selection of different flavoured bread rolls. I would probably freeze some for later consumption. :)

right I'll post it up here later (when i remember where it is :D)

its fucking lush, it never even made it past the hour after it came out of the oven in our house :oops:

i might be up for this

i have a bread maker too, so we could make lots! think i have a little booklet of recipies that came with it as well somewhere, (if i didnt throw it out when i moved :rolleyes: )covers all bases, incuding sweet chooclate chip bread!

tbh - I think breadmakers are a waste of time :)o )
Unless you are making bread overnight to have fresh in the am - then I can see the appeal... Or do they speed up the time you have to leave stuff to rise?

making bread is a piece of piss anyway - mix stuff up, leave it, knead it, possibly leave it again (I can't remember), maybe another knead (again I can't remember), whack it in the oven... and knitting in between!

:)

think rolls are the way to go - lots of different varieties! yum :)

Shall we do it ye olde traditional way then? Without breadmaker?

As I've never made bread before, I'm wondering how long it takes. Would there be time if we started it at say 2pm after the allotment, and did it til the eve, or would it be better to do it on a Saturday and start in the morn so we have the whole day?

I think a Saturday would be better if we want to make a few batches... lots of time for knitting too :)

edit: are we meeting in Feb sometime?

Saturday 11th March, 11am

OK, let's make it Saturday 11th March then :) , starting in the morning, about 11. That ok with everyone?

SUNDAY 11th MARCH

Ooops, I meant Sunday 11th March - no-one said they could make the Saturday 10th, did they?

I'm sure it won't matter if we missed the allotment for 1 week, or we could go on the Saturday instead....

Back
Top Bottom