Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted approvingly by a friend of a friend on FB. Did ask someone involved with the COP stuff about whether they were still going to Paris, and they said they still were as they didn't want fear to stop the protests...

Some quite high level of self-important greenie delusion and bullshit borderline conspiracy stuff in this article in The Ecologist Paris attacks - COP21 and the war on terror
Effin' genius.

Is it a coincidence that the terrorist outrage in Paris was committed weeks before COP21, the biggest climate conference since 2009? Perhaps, writes Oliver Tickell. But failure to reach a strong climate agreement now looks more probable. And that's an outcome that would suit ISIS - which makes $500m a year from oil sales - together with other oil producers.

Since I think that some of the prevalence of conspiracy shit that infects some bits of the left can be traced back partly to bits of the '90/00s green movement I can't say I'm surprised.

"Got a French flag on your Facebook profile picture? Congratulations on your corporate white supremacy."

"It’s a dismaying and damaging truth that Westerners care about and empathise with images of white-skinned women grieving in Topshop bobble hats far more than brown-skinned women grieving in niqabs and, when you lend your voice to Euro-centric campaigns such as Facebook’s flag filter, you exacerbate this. When we buy into such easy corporate public mourning, we uphold white supremacy. We’re essentially saying that white, Western lives matter more than others."

Why a French flag on your Facebook profile doesn't make you a hero

littlebabyjesus bimble and the other wallys: are you hitting the comments section to chuck your toys out like the other night?

But we must also ask: Why Paris? And why now?

Yes, France has been especially active in its air strikes against ISIS in Syria. And yes, there there is a huge reservoir of discontent among the socially excluded youth of the banlieue, the concrete jungle of impoverished outer suburbs that surround Paris and other big cities - where ISIS can perhaps find willing recruits to its ranks.

But is that all? In just a few weeks time, the COP21 climate conference will take place, in Paris, the biggest such event since COP15 in Copenhagen six years ago. The event offers the world a desperately needed opportunity to reduce its carbon emissions and limit global warming to 2C.

And that's surely something the attackers, or at least their (presumably) ISIS commanders, must know all about.

:rolleyes:

2E7E84F300000578-3320420-Jubilant_fans_are_seen_smiling_and_waving_at_the_Eagles_Of_Death-a-1_1447696463030.jpg

The concert moments before.

Powerful image.

I can't remember where I read it now, but I'm sure I read about a group of a few hundred who'd attempted to leave ISIS as they didn't agree with their methods, but were rounded up and shot rather than being allowed to leave.
An activist opposed to both IS and the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is well-known to the British paper, said he had “verified 100 executions” of foreign IS fighters trying to leave the jihadist group’s de facto capital.

IS fighters in Raqqa said the group has created a military police to clamp down on foreign fighters who do not report for duty. Dozens of homes have been raided and many jihadists have been arrested, the FT reported.

Some jihadists have become disillusioned with the realities of fighting in Syria, reports have said.

According to the British press in October, five Britons, three French, two Germans and two Belgians wanted to return home after complaining that they ended up fighting against other rebel groups rather than Assad’s regime. They were being held prisoner by IS.

In total, between 30 and 50 Britons want to return but fear they face jail, according to researchers at the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King’s College London, which had been contacted by one of the jihadists speaking on their behalf.
[source]

I read a pretty compelling article arguing that the best method of countering ISIS recruitment in the UK is to help those who want to leave to get out, come back to the UK and be given jobs going round talking to those who're most at risk of being recruited to talk them out of it, explain the realities of the situation etc.

By locking them all up or forcing them underground, we'd be / are helping ISIS continue it's recruitment and wasting our best chance of countering their recruitment message.

@2323 Fair point, but even Hollande saying the word 'war' at them is probably making them cum in their pants. War is what they are thriving on - and in part the illusion of a war between the West and islam. They need it to recruit.

I assume Hollande, or some of his advisors, have been through this thought process themselves. I wonder what makes them think their belligerent approach will work in their favour rather than act as a recruiting agent for ISIS? Or is it about winning the next election and screw the actual consequences?

Internment worked wonders in Northern Ireland and in no way strengthened the pull of the I.R A

Just popped into my head that did, when hearing calls for returnees to be... imprisoned.

@2323 Fair point, but even Hollande saying the word 'war' at them is probably making them cum in their pants. War is what they are thriving on - and in part the illusion of a war between the West and islam. They need it to recruit.

I assume Hollande, or some of his advisors, have been through this thought process themselves. I wonder what makes them think their belligerent approach will work in their favour rather than act as a recruiting agent for ISIS? Or is it about winning the next election and screw the actual consequences?
That world already exists - materially and in their minds. The bombs will change nothing, the attack in paris might.

Reactions: Rik
Effin' genius.

Is it a coincidence that the terrorist outrage in Paris was committed weeks before COP21, the biggest climate conference since 2009? Perhaps, writes Oliver Tickell. But failure to reach a strong climate agreement now looks more probable. And that's an outcome that would suit ISIS - which makes $500m a year from oil sales - together with other oil producers.
Read an article on 7/7 the other week, one of the lead investigators is adamant that was about land use on the Olympic site, so could be inclined to say I wouldn't put it past them, but as his analysis was based on the 7/7 bombers not having strong links with known terriers and strong ties with a group that wanted the land for a super mosque.. It's a different 'them', which destroys it's own logic

I read a pretty compelling article arguing that the best method of countering ISIS recruitment in the UK is to help those who want to leave to get out, come back to the UK and be given jobs going round talking to those who're most at risk of being recruited to talk them out of it, explain the realities of the situation etc.

If I was Daesh I'd be sending some sleepers back if that was the policy.

If I was Daesh I'd be sending some sleepers back if that was the policy.

Not sure that works. The condition of coming back is that you sing like a canary and are available regularly to the security services for the rest of your life.

I seem to recall that the Soviet Union tried sending sleepers as defectors and it all went wrong for them. As far as we know, that is...

They've got sleeper cells -i.e people who will do stuff in targeted places when asked. Not sleepers as infiltration of security services. (they do have them at low level in syria and iraq where it's not inflitration, just joining up).

Does anyone think France may invoke article 5 of the Nato founding agreement and invade the caliphate such as the US did after 9/11. Obama stated in Turkey he thinks it's a bad idea to send troops in but if like Hollande is saying that its an act of war surely members are duty bound to respond and there are certainly enough troops and cooperation already happening for this to be a possibility

But we must also ask: Why Paris? And why now?

Yes, France has been especially active in its air strikes against ISIS in Syria. And yes, there there is a huge reservoir of discontent among the socially excluded youth of the banlieue, the concrete jungle of impoverished outer suburbs that surround Paris and other big cities - where ISIS can perhaps find willing recruits to its ranks.

But is that all? In just a few weeks time, the COP21 climate conference will take place, in Paris, the biggest such event since COP15 in Copenhagen six years ago. The event offers the world a desperately needed opportunity to reduce its carbon emissions and limit global warming to 2C.

And that's surely something the attackers, or at least their (presumably) ISIS commanders, must know all about.

:rolleyes:

Oh fuck I forgot about that. Eco hippies are going to be severely battered. There's a veritable fuckload of small and large direct actions planned. I hope the twats with guns think twice before firing.

Does anyone think France may invoke article 5 of the Nato founding agreement and invade the caliphate such as the US did after 9/11. Obama stated in Turkey he thinks it's a bad idea to send troops in but if like Hollande is saying that its an act of war surely members are duty bound to respond and there are certainly enough troops and cooperation already happening for this to be a possibility
How? How they going to make that happen? How is france going to invade central and east syria?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom