Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

It's possible that he's party to more information than we are. And it may be that they are taking the view that a life raft would have been spotted by now - I don't know whether life rafts carry any kind of beacon or transponder, though...
http://www.winslowliferaft.com/fars.html

Federal regulations for aeroplane life rafts. May not be applicable in this case.

My favourite is:

(xix) One book on survival appropriate for the area in which the aircraft is operated.

OK, two more possibilities.

1) The Inmarsat "research" is an elaborate cover for information from some agency that doesn't want to reveal what it knows; or

2) Last night there was a committee meeting that concluded "whatever the hell happened, the odds on there being any survivors are very, very slim. Those poor bastards can't stay camped out at the airport forever...

(How much fresh water is packed with a liferaft? Not a lot, I'll wager, if any, because it's heavy. E2A: two pints on US flights)

1) The Inmarsat "research" is an elaborate cover for information from some agency that doesn't want to reveal what it knows; or

2) Last night there was a committee meeting that concluded "whatever the hell happened, the odds on there being any survivors are very, very slim. Those poor bastards can't stay camped out at the airport forever...

(How much fresh water is packed with a liferaft? Not a lot, I'll wager, if any, because it's heavy.)
(xvii) For each two persons the raft is rated to carry, two pints of water or one sea water desalting kit;

I'd rather have the desalination kit. Either way you're going to end up drinking your own piss.

It's possible that he's party to more information than we are. And it may be that they are taking the view that a life raft would have been spotted by now - I don't know whether life rafts carry any kind of beacon or transponder, though...

Probably one ELT (emergency beacon) fixed to the airframe and at least one other portable in the cabin. Sometimes additional are fixed to the inflatable slides which double as life rafts when ditching. Depends on which options the carrier takes up from the aircraft manufacturer.

It probably wasn't a ditching otherwise the aircraft wouldn't have flown to one of the most remote, deep ocean locations on Earth. An uncontrolled/semi-controlled ditching in such seas (state, temperature, lack of immediate rescue, remote location) would see the odds massively stacked against survival (bad odds even if it were a controlled ditching) assuming anyone were still alive at that point. Now add in over two weeks at sea with no food, water...

e2a: correction - I've read this 777 pre-dated the mandate for a minimum of one ELT fixed to the airframe and one portable in the cabin. Probably it had them on the inflatable slides/rafts but they would only activate if prepared (for ditching) beforehand.

Last edited:
Interesting the Inmarsat / AAIB analysis suggests the aircraft did not climb to 45k ft as was proposed.

I'm not sure they said anything in that respect. I got the impression that they were referring to altitude in the 'final established cruise' and not the initial manoeuvring (IGARI-VAMPI and onwards) towards the Bay of Bengal.

I'm not sure they said anything in that respect. I got the impression that they were referring to altitude in the 'final established cruise' and not the initial manoeuvring (IGARI-VAMPI and onwards) towards the Bay of Bengal.
oh ok .. I just caught a comment on the radio, didn't hear the whole release.

(How much fresh water is packed with a liferaft? Not a lot, I'll wager, if any, because it's heavy. E2A: two pints on US flights)

I read somewhere enough supplies for a week, and that their were four life rafts which could hold 290 people. Haven't yet figured out exactly which rafts the MAS flight was carrying though (whether they were orange, round.... etc.)

but, as 2hats points out, useless if there wasn't time to get them prepared (or if people were in no fit state/unconscious/worse)

How do planes crash into oceans and passengers end up dieing? makes no sense. If your plane is in trouble, the sea is the safest option.

If I were a pilot and my plane was having engine trouble and my passengers were in deep trouble, I would land the fucking thing into the ocean. The water will cushion the impact. As long as everyone has seat belts on, no one is going to go flying through the window.

How do planes crash into oceans and passengers end up dieing? makes no sense. If your plane is in trouble, the sea is the safest option.

If I were a pilot and my plane was having engine trouble and my passengers were in deep trouble, I would land the fucking thing into the ocean. The water will cushion the impact. As long as everyone has seat belts on, no one is going to go flying through the window.
sounds well researched.

Hiting water at 140 odd kts, you may as well be hitting a brick wall! Uneven soft surface, the aircraft is likely to cartwheel and breakup

Last edited:

:thumbs:

Life rafts in the Southern Ocean (another contentious point southern Indian Ocean or Southern Ocean,nobody seems to agree on this although clearly on some maps that have been in the media it says Southern Ocean although most of the media have gone with southern Indian Ocean) aren't going to last very long.The ocean rushes round the part of the planet with no land masses to stop them,it's not quite the roaring forties but it's getting that way,lose a mast or a keel down there and it's goodnight Vienna.

You really have no clue. None. None at all. :facepalm:

My theory. Cockpit window blowout. Captain sets course to return to land. Hypoxia sets in very quickly, copilot attempts to change transponder code to 7700 (emergency code) but hypoxia causes confusion and he turns the transponder off instead. Plane then flys on until fuel runs out

Life rafts in the Southern Ocean (another contentious point southern Indian Ocean or Southern Ocean,nobody seems to agree on this although clearly on some maps that have been in the media it says Southern Ocean although most of the media have gone with southern Indian Ocean) aren't going to last very long.The ocean rushes round the part of the planet with no land masses to stop them,it's not quite the roaring forties but it's getting that way,lose a mast or a keel down there and it's goodnight Vienna.

Xinhua said that the crew of the spotter plane reported the coordinates of the debris sighting – 95.1113 degrees east and 42.5453 south

It would seem that it is the roaring forties...

It would seem that it is the roaring forties...
Yes you are right,thinking in a northern way I mistakenly thought it was above 60 degrees south 40 degrees south would be below that,I'm wrong it is right in the roaring forties.

I am probably not the only person to be greatly relieved that the prospect of your finding yourself at the controls of a jetliner is nil.

50 survived. That is better than all dead.

Firstly as everyone else has said you're an idiot.

Secondly to address your point the only reason 50 people survived this crash is because the pilot managed to get it down very close to the shoreline, in shallow and calm water. There was also people on the beach who could get out quickly and pick up survivors and (if I remember correctly) some French doctors happened to be at the resort at the time. So basically a lot of factors in their favour.

The crash on the Hudson is more interesting as that plane stayed in one piece, although again the survival rate is as much to do with the calm waters and the proximity of potential rescuers.

so how do you know there were not calm waters when the plane went down, smart shit?

Look at where is supposedly went down. Listen to what the Oz navy are saying about the difficulty of getting to the area and searching. You know do a bit of research or even just watch the news, this isn't smart its just listening.

Back
Top Bottom