Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lunch should have its own thread

Vegetable soup with bread and margarine. A pear, chopped, with ground almonds in a bowl with milk.

For some reason, pears feature heavily in my lockdown diet, too! I hadn't eaten one in decades, but now I have them all the time, grated into porridge etc.

Lunch today was the same as yesterday; gnocchi with pesto and salad. The exciting addtion was an epic banana, orange and pineapple smoothie.

I've only ever had white eggs on holiday or from friends with chickens here. I was told that farmers get more money for brown eggs because they're seen as better and so white eggs are sold to manufacturers to make things. Not sure if that's true though. :D
I got a box of white eggs tother week. Every single one of them had reallllly thin shells.

I got a box of white eggs tother week. Every single one of them had reallllly thin shells.
My sister lives in Egypt and she always buys white eggs because they have thin shells. Maybe there's something to it. She says the best eggs are baladi eggs because the chickens are free range and eat garlic and the eggs taste beautiful and garlicky. Not so good in a cake though, she found out. :D

I find that duck eggs (the ones I get now and again are always white) are almost impossible to peel the shell after boiling them. Not sure why though - it's like they are superglued to the egg.

I find that duck eggs (the ones I get now and again are always white) are almost impossible to peel the shell after boiling them. Not sure why though - it's like they are superglued to the egg.

Yes, the shell is a lot thinner, making it break easily. It doesn't really matter because the best way to eat duck eggs is soft boiled, where you only need to slice the top off. I've always thought it a bit of a waste to hard boil them.

Bulgur wheat salad with griddle courgette, pomegranate seeds, chopped hazelnuts (instead of pine nuts), halloumi and some crunchy iceberg leaves.

Pomegranate came with mystery fruit box, and I found a great kitchen hack on youtube how to get the seeds out: just cut in half and bash the back with a wooden spoon, and they all come tumbling out.

Back
Top Bottom